Splitter question

Status
Please reply by conversation.

fabero74

Original poster
Jul 2, 2004
eastern CT
home depot splitter, same as sold in brick and mortar store
I found this item while doing some vendor work in Home Depot, luckily they have it online to share easily. All I've read here on satelliteguys indicates this is about as good as a pet rock. Can anyone explain what this could be used for since it claims to split satellite and digital cable signal? I'm still half tempted to grab one just for S&G's, but I'd prefer to hear from the experts.

Nothing to do with the poster, just the HD website. Look at the ad in the link (the bold text) left of the item. What is an HGTV splitter? Do they have proof-readers anymore?

fabero74 said:
I found this item while doing some vendor work in Home Depot, luckily they have it online to share easily. All I've read here on satelliteguys indicates this is about as good as a pet rock. Can anyone explain what this could be used for since it claims to split satellite and digital cable signal? I'm still half tempted to grab one just for S&G's, but I'd prefer to hear from the experts.

I am not familiar with that particular splitter, but remember if you are using it with the new AT9 antenna, and you are trying to split at TV OTA signal and D* signal, it will not work. With the new AT9 dish you can't use splitter or diplexers as some the D* and OTA signals are on the same frequency. They will work on the older 3 LNB dishes though. Also when using one one to carry both signals, with diplexers, you will have signal loss.

Always better to run two separate lines if possible.

charper1 said:
Nothing to do with the poster, just the HD website. Look at the ad in the link (the bold text) left of the item. What is an HGTV splitter? Do they have proof-readers anymore?

Let's just say, misspelling's are extremely common within the specialized work program I get to use, with all stuff entered by the same people who do the website and etc.
As to the splitter itself, I was thinking to try it on what I have which is a DVR since my landlord was nice enough to let me have the dish mounted to the house but I know he isn't interested in any more holes ( didn't hurt the alternative is the extremely crappy Adelphia, and the landlord's favorite tenant on the floor below us was looking into directv at the time also :) )

fabero74 said:
Let's just say, misspelling's are extremely common within the specialized work program I get to use, with all stuff entered by the same people who do the website and etc.
As to the splitter itself, I was thinking to try it on what I have which is a DVR since my landlord was nice enough to let me have the dish mounted to the house but I know he isn't interested in any more holes ( didn't hurt the alternative is the extremely crappy Adelphia, and the landlord's favorite tenant on the floor below us was looking into directv at the time also :) )

If it is your intention to drive both tuners on this DVR (I assume it's a D* DVR) with just one cable from the dish, this, or any other splitter, will not do what you want (one tuner will lock the LNBs, making the other tuner only able to pickup whatever channels happen to be available on that LNB the other tuner locked onto), you will need another line from the dish (cheapest option), or setup a stacker/(dual)destacker setup (costly option), or you can forgo having D* on the second tuner, and run OTA or cabletv to it.

If the above is not what you are trying to do, please elaborate, perhaps provide some info like, what kind of DVR?, what kind of dish?, is there a multiswitch (doubtful since it seems you only have this one unit)?, etc.

Last edited:
charper1 said:

I guess we know what channel the webmaster of that site likes to watch.

fabero74 said:
The purpose is to separate a fool and his money. Plainly and simply that is all it will do for you.:mad: :mad: :mad:

Indeed, an installer tried to use it on my dual WB68 setup and it failed. I am currently using four 5-3000Mhz splitters. However, I am going to the new WB616 to minimize signal degradation.

Peace and blessings,

Azeke

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)