Splitters and diplexers

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

growlerman3473

Original poster
Apr 6, 2006
What is the difference between a splitter and a diplexer? And between those two and the DishPro Plus Separator? Are diplexers *always* used in coordinate pairs? Must splitters never be used between LNBF and receiver(s) - only in distribution to TV sets? Can the DPP Separator be used in any setting other than between a DPP receiver and a DPP LNBF or DPP switch? Thanks in advance for enlightenment!

Are diplexers *always* used in coordinate pairs?
correct

Must splitters never be used between LNBF and receiver(s) - only in distribution to TV sets?
correct (there is one RARE exception to the rule
Can the DPP Separator be used in any setting other than between a DPP receiver and a DPP LNBF or DPP switch?
no.

Diplexers allow you to combine OTA antenna and satellite down one line ot the receiver (this can be done since thery run on different frequencies)

Splitters cannot be used between the LNB & the receivr...the exception is in the old Legacy setups to use 2 SW64's or SW44's

Separator is used between the LNB (or the DPP44) and the receiver. Its used so you can have one line coming into the house for a dual tuner receiver

Thanks for the reply - am I right to reason from your definitions that a DPP Separator is in fact a diplexer? Functionally, they seem to be identical. Are there issues around feeding DC power?

The separator is not a diplexer. You only need one separator but diplexers you need to use in tandem (yet they sell them as a single pack…hmmmmm)

The separator is closer to a splitter but they’re not the same thing :D

The DPP Separator is indeed a diplexer, in fact in this early photo it is labelled as a "high-performance diplexer." It separates the DishPro high and low bands rather than the OTA and DBS bands as used in many installations. You only need one because a DP LNB does the band stacking and a DP Plus switch band-translates and re-stacks as needed to get the needed transponders on the right output of the Separator.

So if I want to run a single cable from one output of a DP dual LNB to the location of a 625 two-tuner receiver, is there a passive device such as a splitter, diplexer or separator that will complete the install, or must I use a DP34 switch instead?

The only way to have a single cable installation of a dual-tuner receiver is with a DP Plus switch and the DPP Separator. The switch can be the one built in to the DPP Twin or the external DPP44. The DP34 is not Plus (DP, not DPP), so you would have to have 2 runs of cable.

In another thread (625 Upgrade & keep single cable to set) I posted "Here in the US Virgin Islands my installation includes a Channel Master Type 120 1.2 meter (48") SMC Antenna with a legacy dual lnb feeding a 508 and a 301 through 100 feet each of high quality RG6 coax marked good to 2200. I can only receive the 119 bird (I think that has to do with the signal footprint out here, 1000 miles from Miami). I want to replace the 301 with a 625 dual tuner box, but I *must* make it work with the present single cable - running another cable to that location is almost impossible. I read up on the DN site and learned about DP and DPP, and concluded that I need a DP dual LNBF, a DPP-44 switch and a DPP Separator at the 625 to maintain single cable benefits to each receiver. However, the installer of the original setup is telling me that I can get away with a DP dual LNBF and an ordinary splitter (rated to 2200) at the 625. Can this be true? and if so, why would the rest of the world be doing the DPP 3-step (DPP receiver, DPP Separator and DPP LNBF or switch)? I suppose I could try it his way first, but I figured someone out there would know the answer and save me the time and annoyance."

RandallA replied, quoting me: "'However, the installer of the original setup is telling me that I can get away with a DP dual LNBF and an ordinary splitter (rated to 2200) at the 625.'

In theory that should work because you only have one satellite feed but I've never tried it.

This is what I would do, get a DP Dual lnb and a DP34 switch. Run that single cable from the DP Dual to the DP34 switch near the 625 receiver and from the DP34 run 2 cables to the 625 receiver. That switch will allow you to feed the 508 and the 301 if you want to keep them." And later, "I know for sure the DP34 will work, I can't say the splitter setup will work because I've never tried it. You could get the DP Dual LNB and a approved splitter and try it. If it doesn't work just buy the DP34. The DPP44 is way too expensive for what you want.

Is it possible that there are at least two ways to do it, (1) DP Dual LNB, DPP44 outside, DPP Separator, 625, and (2) DP Dual LNB, DP34 indoors, 625? and possibly a third, substituting a passive splitter or similar device for the switch?

I believe what your installer told you (use a DP-rated splitter) will work, if not get a DP34 as RandallA said. Everyone else is doing the "DPP 3-step" because they're viewing more than one satellite. A DPP switch can take signals from different satellites, put one on the regular DBS band and the other on the DishPro high band, and send them down a single RG6 to the Separator where they are directed to the requesting tuner.

Problem solved - I hit EBay for a new DP34 for $40 delivered and it works like a champ. I suppose a splitter would have been cheaper, but I couldn't find a DP rated one with power on only one leg. Thanks for your help.

This thread brings up a lot of questions for me.

I'm looking to create a home video distibution setup, my idea keeps getting more complex and perhaps it is because I don't understand some of these options switches splitters diplexers etc. I want to display and share output from dish network pvr's, and cable tv or OTA antenna. The home has two rg6 cables run to each room a tv might be located in from a central distribution box. Are there any good digrams that anyone could point me towards?

I guess my main question related to this thread would be: Can a splitter and diplexer be used on the same single cable to provide cable services or antenna signal plus two tuner feeds for a 622 from a dpp44 switch? I'd like to be able to use the second cable in at least two locations to return the 2nd TV output from the 622 back into what could be considered the central distribution to share on the other tv's. Is it just one splitter from one port on a dpp44? At the same timewould it be two diplexers one to add the signal to the line and one to split it?

I see myself serving perhaps two hdtv's with two 622's and sharing the second output from each back to other locations. the other locations may also have a satellite reciever, hopefully I could offer multiple dvr services combined in with cable to the tv's down one cable and regular Dish across the other cable. I'll probably have 4 or maybe 5 tv's to start and would expect I'll have 4 satellite recievers(6 tuners).

I have a very large family with kids ranging from three to eighteen years of age, everyone wants to pick the show, the more diversity I can provide the less arguing and fighting there is. I think it's well worth the extra dollars(within reason) to avoid the fights over the remotes.

Thanks!

I have a similar 'problem' Ziploc; but I'm trying to get my channel modulator (for my security cameras) to all my TVs. I have dual RG6 to each room; one for sat and one for my own in house channel. I'm not having ANY luck making it work. I have 2 811s and 2 311s. On the 811s, I'm already feeding my local HDs on the cable/antenna port. I can have one, or the other. I'm thinking I need some sort of diplexer setup, but haven't figure it out. Then, on the 311s, there is only one RG6 input, so not sure how i can combine the signals.

The hole point of the channel modulartor is so I can have my own TV channel (in my case, i picked channel 123 as it isn't used on my system); but can't get the Dish boxes to 'find it'.

The DPP Separator is indeed a diplexer, in fact in this early photo it is labelled as a "high-performance diplexer." It separates the DishPro high and low bands rather than the OTA and DBS bands as used in many installations. You only need one because a DP LNB does the band stacking and a DP Plus switch band-translates and re-stacks as needed to get the needed transponders on the right output of the Separator.

Awesome... do we know the exact frequency shift that is happening to get the frequencies in each range?? (950-1450 and 1650-2150)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)