splitting after receiver

rspainhower

Well-Known SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Jun 10, 2005
I am trying to split my signal coming out of the receiver to the kitchen, and 2 bedrooms. I am it will work in the kitchen but not in the bedrooms. What is the best way to do this. The 2 bedrooms picture is very snowy and makes a buzzing noise.

Sounds like you have some connection problems. You would need a 4-way spliter off the line from the receiver. 1 line to main TV, then a line to the kitchen and bedrooms. If that is what you have now. Then to have poor picture in the bedrooms means you have poor connections to those rooms, or the cable you have running to those rooms is not sheilded and runns along with power lines.

If I were you, I would approach this very methodically. Work from where you know the signal is good and progress from there. Like Dave said, try to rule out any poor fittings or wires. Another possibility is the splitter. Don't laugh, but it almost sounds like you have the splitter wired backwards. That's the number one problem I've ran into with "mirror-imaged" outlets, such as what you have in this instance

I found a 10-dB gain 4-way output VHF-UHF amp. I use it for my antenna to OTA 501/811/921 and split to DVD+R/VCR/TV boxes. This is a higher-gain signal by say 7 dB than with a 10-dB amp and a 4-way splitter but not so high that it will overload the inputs. For the 811 and 921 it gave about 10 points on the 0-100 and 0-125 scales of channel strength. If you are near an FM transmitter, then buy one with an FM trap.

It seems to me this would also work with the combined (reverse split) outputs of Dish boxes except ch. 3 and ch. 4 should not be combined and it should not be combined with cable or antenna or the same channel of a VCR or DVD.
-Ken

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts