Splitting Dish Signal Question

mothergoose45

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Aug 4, 2004
A Question for you guys.....I am moving into a new house and I have 5 tv's and 2 Dish 501 recievers. Can I run a use a 2-way splitter and run the signal from the first 501 to 2 tv's and use a 3-way splitter from the other 501 to the other 3 tv's? Where do I split them? Before it gets to the reciever or after the line is run to the rciever. Hope its clear what im doing.

using splitters before the cable reaches the box will not work. if you have a rf output on your receiver, you could run a cable into a splitter and feed it to other tvs. picture quality will not be that good.

mothergoose45 said:
Can I run a use a 2-way splitter and run the signal from the first 501 to 2 tv's and use a 3-way splitter from the other 501 to the other 3 tv's? Where do I split them? Before it gets to the reciever or after the line is run to the rciever. Hope its clear what im doing.

Yes, a receiver can drive more than 1 TV. My House was wired for cable and the first year I had dish one 301 drove the signal to 6 rooms.

You need to put the splitter on the coax hooked to "TV SET OUT". All TV's hooked to a receiver will be watching the same channel. (I'm assuming that the 501 is not one of those receivers designed to operate two TV's indepently.)

This would be similar to what you would need if 501 is similar to 301:

Sat IN -----> Dish

TV OUT ------>Splitter IN Splitter Out 1 --------->TV1
............................... Splitter Out 2 --------->TV2

Depending on the splitter (or splitters) used to drive the signal, I don't think you will have any problem driving two or three sets off 1 receiver. You might get a noticable difference in picture quality if you drive too many TV's or use cheap splitters.

Infrared to UHF remote extenders can be used to change the channel from another room.

Hope this helps.

I want to split the signal from my 501 to a second tv in the basement , its hardly watched but it would be nice for those Occasions I'm down there , I understand how to do this and How it works the only thing I need to know is what Kinda of splitter to use to attacth to the Tv output coax , should it be just a regular splitter or a Sat tv splitter , I would think a Regular Splitter since its just Tv output were talking about and not a Sat LNB signal , just want to make sure which one to get !

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts