Splitting One Signal to Two TVs

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

Faithannj

Original poster
Aug 19, 2004
Atlanta, GA
First of all, I have a Dish Network System. I have two boxes in my house - off the dish is a dual LnB - one cable runs to a receiver in my rec room the other runs to a receiver in my great room.

I'm trying to split the signal from the one in my great room to my master bedroom.

I have installed a new outlet in my master bedroom. Starting in the great room, I come out of the receiver from TV out and split the signal using a 5-900mhz 3 way splitter. From that splitter I plug one cable into my TV and it works great. I then plug another cable into the same splitter and run 12 feet into the attic, and plug into another splitter (same kind) and go out of that splitter into the master bedroom 12 feet down.

Problem is the signal in the master bedroom is completely fuzzy and plugging in the additional TV makes my main TV in the great room slightly fuzzy.

I was told I need a special high freq splitter from one guy and then another guy told me my cable is bad, while another said keep the same splitter and replace all the connectors. My head is dizzy.

Can anybody offer a suggestion?!? I am really frustrated.

Faith

There's 2 immediate problems that I see. First, the unused output of the 3-way splitter is probably just "open". That causes excess signal loss. The second splitter is even worse because it has TWO opens. It needs to be replaced with a barrel connector (available anywhere). That should solve the problem - because you're not running long cables. If you were, a video amplifier with at least 2 outputs would be the answer. That last was just for other readers. :)

P.S. When posting, always give ALL specifics of your installation. For example, from what you've said, you have a single satellite installation. That's pretty rare. You probably have a Dish 500 with a TWIN LNBF, not a Dual.

To explain a little more about what Simon said about a splitter. A 2way splitter loses 3.5dB of signal on each side for every 3dB you lose half of the signal strength dissappears. A 3 way splitter loses 3.5 dB on 1 leg and 7 dB on two leggs so if you are using two 3way splitters you are killing your signal. You need a 2 way splitter and a coupler(F-81,double female or splice) in the attic to reduce signal loss to the bedroom TV.

Simple Simon is correct. The general rule of thumb is not to leave any splitter ports open. it causes tremendous signal loss. If you are going to eventually split it do it hen you need it but wha tI would have done is gotten a 2 way split off the first one and a barrel connector in the attic.

Just so I am clear - I need to get a barrel connector for the attic and a 2 way splitter for output on the receiver? This will lead me to my final question before I head to Radio Shack - do I need a special satellite signal splitter like 5-2400mhz or is the 5-900mhz fine for what I'm doing? The guy at Radio Shack said I would need something special. Please advise.

And thanks a ton for all your great advice!

You got it - because this is normal TV output, you do NOT need a special splitter. A 5-900MHz 2-way is perfect, plus a standard barrel connector, and you should be fine.

You shouldn't need a 2.4ghz rated one. You aren't splitting the satellite signal, your splitting the receiver output thats on channel 3 or 4. If you tell the RS guy that he should calm down.

ajohnson said:
You shouldn't need a 2.4ghz rated one. You aren't splitting the satellite signal, your splitting the receiver output thats on channel 3 or 4. If you tell the RS guy that he should calm down.

Just so everyone knows. Rat Shack works on comission so trying to sell an unneeded piece of equipment is no surprise.

Also note that the 'special' splitters (which can't be used with E* gear - with one rarely needed exception) generally will NOT work for normal TV. They are usually rated for 950-2200MHz.

SimpleSimon said:
Also note that the 'special' splitters (which can't be used with E* gear - with one rarely needed exception) generally will NOT work for normal TV. They are usually rated for 950-2200MHz.
Whats the CATV frequency range these day anyway Not digital just regular analog.

Still having problems!

This is how I have configured my set-up after your suggestions:

Straight run from the satellite dish to the receiver (DVR510). Leaving the receiver from the TV Out to a 2 way splitter. Side 1 from the 2 way splitter to my VCR back into my main TV set. Side 2 from the 2 way splitter back up into the attic, 12 ft up, barrel connector, then 12 ft down into the jack in my master bedroom.

The problem I'm having is when I connect the second TV the primary set gets fuz on the screen and the second set is still very fuzzy.

I don't know what else to do. This set-up appears to be text book perfect - unless anyone has any advice I will be inclined to calling in a pro tomorrow.

Any suggestions are welcome.

Thanks!

Alright, here's what I did with the results noted:

1. I went straight out of the back of the receiver to the TV in the master bedroom and no change in the picture. We can play DVDs on it perfectly but the satellite picture will not come through clearly.

2. We brought another TV into the room and went straight from the satellite to the other TV and better results but still slightly fuzzy. Once again DVDs play excellently so I know the picture can be very clear.

If I plug the same cable I was using for the test back into the main TV the picture is equally as fuzzy.

Could I have purchase 100 ft of bad cable? I purchased RG6 Coax from Lowes.

Thoughts?

One more piece of information I just discovered is another run of cable from the same spool running from the reciever to the TV works great.

I don't know what that means.

Faithannj said:
Alright, here's what I did with the results noted:

1. I went straight out of the back of the receiver to the TV in the master bedroom and no change in the picture. We can play DVDs on it perfectly but the satellite picture will not come through clearly.

2. We brought another TV into the room and went straight from the satellite to the other TV and better results but still slightly fuzzy. Once again DVDs play excellently so I know the picture can be very clear.

If I plug the same cable I was using for the test back into the main TV the picture is equally as fuzzy.

Could I have purchase 100 ft of bad cable? I purchased RG6 Coax from Lowes.

Thoughts?

One more piece of information I just discovered is another run of cable from the same spool running from the reciever to the TV works great.

I don't know what that means.

Make sure:

Connectors are snugly on the cable...

Tried switching the switch in the back from 3-4 or vice versa?

Is there an electrical device anywhere near the cable run like a fan or something... It sounds like it could be a multitude of things.

Cable usually is OK - unless it's got a crimp (sharp bend) in it - then that piece is history - the center conductor has pushed through to the shield and it'll never be good again - except as 2 shorter pieces.

I'd look closely at the connectors and then give them a tug - if they come off, they were bad. :)

I am pretty close to giving up. This is getting crazier and crazier...

I thought maybe I had a bad set of cable, but I don't think that is the case.

I cut a cable 12 ft long and put connectors on it - and it didn't work - fuzzy picture.

So I cut 10 ft of cable (same cable) and put connectors on (same connectors) and the TV had a beautiful picture.

For both these attempts I am coming out of the splitter and into the second TV.

Any other thoughts, if I can't get it tonight I'm calling a guy tomorrow. I'm a computer geek, and I hate to be beat by this.

BTW - I'm using the screw on connectors not the connectors I need to crimp and they don't appear to be loose.

Distressed.

I think you've solved your own problem. It's the cable.

Specifically, those screw-on connectors are 100% total garbage.

Crimp-ons are not much better - especially if installed with one of those sheet-metal plier tools as opposed to a hex-die tool.

Don't know how much someone charges for a house call where you are, but if you're at all a hardware geek, you can buy a compression tool for around $30 and connectors should run around $1 a piece in small quantity.

Ok here's what I'm going to do - tomorrow I'm heading to Home Depot and grab a crimping tool and the "better" connectors and redo the cabling.

I'll let you know how it goes.

Thanks for all your great help and time.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)