Splitting satellite signal

Mr. Krabs

Active SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Mar 14, 2008
Hi,

I have two dual tuner HD receivers and would like to set-up a third single tuner in another room.

Will splitting the dish signal at the wire going to a dual receiver work for this?

Can anyone recommend a good value/quality splitter that would work?

Is there a technical limit to number of receivers (tuners) on a DN dish?

Thanks

What dish are you using? If there is a third output, you need to run a line from the lnb to the receiver. If there is not, you need to add either a DPP44 switch then run the coax from the switch to the receiver or two DP34 switches, if you use this method you would also need to run an additional line to each receiver and remove the DPP Separator.

I have two dual tuner HD receivers and would like to set-up a third single tuner in another room.
You don't mention what you have now in the way of LNBs and switches. Are your current receivers fed from a DPP Twin?

Is there a technical limit to number of receivers (tuners) on a DN dish?
You can trunk up to 3 DP34 or 3 DPP44 switches together. This yields 12 tuner inputs for the DP34, or 24 tuner inputs using the DPP separator for the DPP44.

Now that you've got me thinking about this, I have a question of my own. Are there any DPP-capable single-tuner receivers?

What dish are you using? If there is a third output, you need to run a line from the lnb to the receiver. If there is not, you need to add either a DPP44 switch then run the coax from the switch to the receiver or two DP34 switches, if you use this method you would also need to run an additional line to each receiver and remove the DPP Separator.
Not sure about the dish model. Had it installed a week ago. If it makes any difference, it is an oval shaped dish hooked up to two dual HD receivers (VIP722).

Not sure about the dish model. Had it installed a week ago. If it makes any difference, it is an oval shaped dish hooked up to two dual HD receivers (VIP722).

Possibility of a D1000.2 dish. If that's the case, then there are 3 outputs. And it would just be a simple matter of running another feed from the dish to whatever room you need the receiver in.

The best way to tell is to do a checkswitch (MENU, 6, 1, 1) and see what LNB is posted at the bottom of the matrix

I'll check that as soon as the recording is finished :)
The separators at boxes are Dish Pro Plus DPP Separator 123254.

BTW, just checked and there are two coaxs running down from the dish.
OK, so there is a possibility of a third cable hookup. This is cheapest for me but involves climbing up the roof (would rather avoid it - difficult).

So, can I put a DP34 on one of those coaxes and from DP34, run one output to a single tuner receiver and one output to VIP722 (further split with 123254)?

I'll check that as soon as the recording is finished :)
The separators at boxes are Dish Pro Plus DPP Separator 123254.

BTW, just checked and there are two coaxs running down from the dish.
OK, so there is a possibility of a third cable hookup. This is cheapest for me but involves climbing up the roof (would rather avoid it - difficult).

So, can I put a DP34 on one of those coaxes and from DP34, run one output to a single tuner receiver and one output to VIP722 (further split with 123254)?

The separators will not work with a DP34 switch and would require two coax runs to each dual tuner receiver. This would also require a second DP34 switch for the new receiver.

Hopefully your dish is a 1000.2. That way you have no equipment to buy, just run a 3rd line. Sorry no way around that. If its a dish 1000 you would need to add a DPP44 switch but again still would need a 3rd line from the dish. A DPP seperator is NOT a splitter. It will not work with DP34 switches, only DPP which are the dish 1000.2, DPP44, and DPP Twins.

Yeah, I agree, the third cable would be the best solution.

Just looked at the switch menu on the receiver. The Sat Input 1 and Sat input 2, both show DPP 1k.2 w/separator. I'm assuming 1k.2 stands for 1000.2, right?

Yes you do have a dish 1000.2 looking at 110,119,and 129. If you unscrew the lnb of the end there is a 3rd port to hookup another receiver. Do not use the LNB IN port on the end. This is for adding a wingdish to the 1000.2. Just make sure your new cable is RG-6 and run it to the third receiver. Run a check switch and your done.

Now that you've got me thinking about this, I have a question of my own. Are there any DPP-capable single-tuner receivers?
DPP is by definition, support of a dual-tuner receiver with a separator and one incoming cable from the DPP switch/LNBF. And no, you can't put two single-tuners behind a separator.

DPP is by definition, support of a dual-tuner receiver with a separator and one incoming cable from the DPP switch/LNBF. And no, you can't put two single-tuners behind a separator.

Why not? Its just a splitter! :p

Sorry I couldnt resist.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)