Splitting second tv on same signal/reciever

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

kristy061502

Original poster
Jan 8, 2013
missouri
My dish cable comes into my house runs to my receiver. From there it goes to my living room tv, then has some kind of box off the receiver that then runs to a 3 way splitter, that then runs a cable to my kitchen. I have had this set up for a couple years. My son got a new tv for christmas and wants cable in his room. I thought I could just add a cable off the splinter to his room and just use the same receiver to just watch the same on both tv's. But the tv in my son's room will not work. I have checked all the spots on the splinter to make sure they work and they do, and I've checked the cable to his room and it works. I also moved his tv to the kitchen to make sure it would work. The tv hooked up in the kitchen and worked just fine. I even unhooked the kitchen completely with the idea of just running the cable to my son's room but it still didn't work. Even, at that if I unhook my kitchen I loose compelete connection even in my living room. I hope I am explaining this good enough but I need help.

My dish cable comes into my house runs to my receiver. From there it goes to my living room tv, then has some kind of box off the receiver that then runs to a 3 way splitter, that then runs a cable to my kitchen. I have had this set up for a couple years. My son got a new tv for christmas and wants cable in his room. I thought I could just add a cable off the splinter to his room and just use the same receiver to just watch the same on both tv's. But the tv in my son's room will not work. I have checked all the spots on the splinter to make sure they work and they do, and I've checked the cable to his room and it works. I also moved his tv to the kitchen to make sure it would work. The tv hooked up in the kitchen and worked just fine. I even unhooked the kitchen completely with the idea of just running the cable to my son's room but it still didn't work. Even, at that if I unhook my kitchen I loose compelete connection even in my living room. I hope I am explaining this good enough but I need help.
Need help call DISH 1-800-333-3474 they will send a technician for $15 if you have the protection plan $95 if you don't.

If you need a tech do not call Dish. Message a DIRT member on here and they will provide you with better service.

I did call dish and they told me it was the cable. And that it would cost me $50 for someone to come look at it. I would rather just try and figure this out myself first before calling them. Its a hassle to get someone to my house for issues.

I suspect that what you think is a splitter is actually something else (like a triplexer). If my guess is correct, you need to get a splitter to split the distribution signal between the kitchen and the kid's room. Where you split the signal is VERY important. There should be another device called a diplexer between the triplexer and the kitchen TV. The split to the kid's room TV needs to happen on the ANT leg of the diplexer. Where that diplexer is may be the $64,000 question.

It would be exceedingly helpful if you were to note what model receiver you're referring to and exactly what the three-way box is ("box" is relatively useless -- especially if it isn't really a box) that is behind the receiver. Chances are excellent that the information we could use (to avoid guessing and second guessing) is printed on the label of the device. Sharp pictures are helpful where words fail.

do you have the tv in your son's room set to the correct channel? Are you splitting off the correct leg of the splitter?

In additiona to this, make sure the TV is set to either 'air' or 'cable' to match whatever the kitchen tv is set on. You can usually change that in the antenna settings menu on the TV.

Some kind of box????? Can you please describe what this box looks like. For all we know it could be a splitter, diplexer, triplexer, seperator, or RF modulator.

I think you should let us know what model receiver you have. If it is a 311, 512, or 612 rcvr, then you've probably got a 3-way splitter behind it. You also should let us know what channel your TV's are set to.

If you have a dual-tuner receiver (322 625), then the secondary TV's are probably set to channel 60 or 73. If the new TV isn't picking up a picture, its probably because the tuner for the new TV is not set correctly. Most TV's have two modes that the tuner will receive channel reception, air/antenna or cable. If your current TV's are set to say, air/antenna reception and are picking up signal correctly, then chances are your new TV is set to cable reception. Until you go into the TV menu under settings, channels, tuner mode, then you won't get the TV to pick up the signal. You could always go into the receiver menu (menu button, system setup, installation, modulator setup) to change the tuner mode coming from the receiver to match the new TV, but then you'll have the change the tuner mode on the other existing TV's that were already working correctly.

Update....Both tv's are on cable and both on the same channel. I have no way to post a picture right now. I looked at the box behind by receiver and it says something about satillete in, in two places. Both places having a cable running from the receiver box to it. It was also installed from dish, being it has there name on it. The 3 way is in fact also a splitter. Sorry I can't be specific then this. Also, it is model 322G and both are set to channel 73.

Last edited:
Update....Both tv's are on cable and both on the same channel. I have no way to post a picture right now. I looked at the box behind by receiver and it says something about satillete in, in two places. Both places having a cable running from the receiver box to it. It was also installed from dish, being it has there name on it. The 3 way is in fact also a splitter. Sorry I can't be specific then this. Also, it is model 322G and both are set to channel 73.

Is this the box.you are talking about?

ForumRunner_20130109_125249.png

Yes that is the "box" I'm talking about that I'm not sure what it actually does.

That is a triplexer. The 2 satellite in ports must stay connected to the reciever. The third cable, usually marked with a yellow flag is what feeds your secondary TV location.

The single cable on the other side is the dish/tv2 signal path cable. Somewhere along that signal path will be a smaller splitter looking device with 3 ports. An in/out port, a uhf/VHF port and a sat port.
The sat port is what is connected to your dish. The in/out port goes to you reciever location and the uhf port goes to TV 2. Only cables that can be split are uhf/VHF ports. Or when you pull the reciever out and you see the cable coming from home distribution port that one can be. Split as well. Do not split sat feed or in/out ports. It will not work.

I can't help you much more than this unless you put a detailed description of cable paths and what each parts wording that is.

What I recommend for your son is purchasing a wireless video sender reciever and plugging it into the RCA out puts on the tv2 side of the recievers out puts and just send that signal wirelessly to your sons TV. It may save you a lot of headaches.

Where in the mix is the 3-way splitter you're talking about? There should be no reason why you're not getting video off the splitter if the line from your Kitchen tv is attached to the same splitter. You have confirmed that the new tv in your son's room has the tuner set to cable mode? If you can trace the path of the line from the Kitchen to where it originates from, that is where you need to connect the line from your son's room. Whether that location is on a 3-way splitter behind the rcvr, under the house, or outside, you'll have to figure that out.

I looked at the box behind by receiver and it says something about satillete in, in two places. Both places having a cable running from the receiver box to it. It was also installed from dish, being it has there name on it. The 3 way is in fact also a splitter.
The 3-way is, in fact, NOT a splitter if it has SAT ports anywhere on it. This seems to be the situation I described in Post #7.

If you want answers, you need to come up with some specific answers of your own. Fogging us with incomplete or inaccurate information is not helping us help you.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts