Splitting SIgnal

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Sgt.Bilbo

Active SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Apr 25, 2005
I just had the D* installers come out and they told me I can't use the dual tuner on my DVR because you can't split the signal. I'm installing in an apartment complex and they're using the existing wiring in the apartment. I've read that if I diplexer is used, you can split the signal. Am I wrong in thinking that I can split the signal and use my dual tuner?

A diplexer doesn't split signals.
The only way to use the dual tuner function is that a 2nd connection made from either the dish, or multiswitch.

Ok...here's another question then...Can I combine a multiswitch signal at the dish using a diplexer, then have another multiswitch split the signal back inside the apartment? In theory, that should work, since the original multiswitch will combine the signal, and the switch inside will separate it again...

Is there a way to tell if its a stacked system? The way it appears at the terminal box where all the cable comes in, it doesn't look like a stacked system. In fact, the way it looks, each apartment's main cable input comes into the one box, and then goes through a pipe chase to the apartment in question. (Our building is one level, so there are 6 units per building)

While I was out there today, I looked inside the box where all the cable comes in, as there are already some people using D*. The multiswitches are inside the box outside. If I ran enough coax in my apartment (under the carpet, of course), could I run that coax to the 2nd tuner and have it work correctly? Basically turning this into a 3-room setup w/ 1 receiver, 1 dual-tuner D*tivo?

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)