Sports and HD programming?

Status
Please reply by conversation.

trellaine

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Mar 26, 2007
Vancouver
I am very new to Directv, and I am switching from Bell Expressvu in Canada. Things are bit difficult for me to understand, basically programming since this is most important to me.

I am really into SPORTS and HD programming and was gonna sub to the Premier package, but I really don't understand what the sports package is all abut and what im paying for?

I am on the Westcoast or will be, Seattle would be my regional area I guess. So basically with these channels I wouldn't see any of the pro sports games?

if not, whats the pt of having these?

Thanks

I am very new to Directv, and I am switching from Bell Expressvu in Canada. Things are bit difficult for me to understand, basically programming since this is most important to me.

I am really into SPORTS and HD programming and was gonna sub to the Premier package, but I really don't understand what the sports package is all abut and what im paying for?

I am on the Westcoast or will be, Seattle would be my regional area I guess. So basically with these channels I wouldn't see any of the pro sports games?

if not, whats the pt of having these?

Thanks

If you want HD you will want Premier + HD pak.With the Sports pak you get like 30
sports channels,now these channels can be subject to blackouts depending on who is playing.With the Choice Extra pak you get your FOX RSNs and Comcast RSNs I just subbed to Premier and I do get alot more sports,but if you find games
being blacked out that you just have to watch then you can sub to those sports packages like EI and Sunday Ticket ect..For the games you just gotta see.:):welcome

If you want HD you will want Premier + HD pak.With the Sports pak you get like 30
sports channels,now these channels can be subject to blackouts depending on who is playing.With the Choice Extra pak you get your FOX RSNs and Comcast RSNs I just subbed to Premier and I do get alot more sports,but if you find games
being blacked out that you just have to watch then you can sub to those sports packages like EI and Sunday Ticket ect..For the games you just gotta see.:)

Hmm I get the impression most Pro Sports games are blacked out on these FOX Sports channels, and it's an extra 30bucks from the HDplus package I think lol. I am new so not sure if I have my prices correct. :D
Seems like subbing to the MLB, NBA, etc is the better bet then your guaranteed to see these games.

I guess HDPlus is probably right for me. I will continue to explore the possibilities as well as get input from others.

Thanks

Why do you pay for DVR service anyways?? It's the receiver that does the work isn't it? At least here it is.

Hmm I get the impression most Pro Sports games are blacked out on these FOX Sports channels, and it's an extra 30bucks from the HDplus package I think lol. I am new so not sure if I have my prices correct. :D
Seems like subbing to the MLB, NBA, etc is the better bet then your guaranteed to see these games.

I guess HDPlus is probably right for me. I will continue to explore the possibilities as well as get input from others.

Thanks

Why do you pay for DVR service anyways?? It's the receiver that does the work isn't it? At least here it is.

Sorry made a mistake the Sports pak list 37 channels.:eek:

if you are physically in seattle you should get their channel, but by your wording I am worried that your location is somewhere else, is this true? if it is one thing to keep in mind is Directv is on spotbeams and you might not be able to pick them up!

if you are physically in seattle you should get their channel, but by your wording I am worried that your location is somewhere else, is this true? if it is one thing to keep in mind is Directv is on spotbeams and you might not be able to pick them up!

Hmmm north, north of Seattle. Blaine which will be on the border of US/Canada. I thought with the 5LNB I could get most of the channels if subscribed to them including locals in HD?

Blaine, WA (98230) - Local Channels Availability - Yes! Local channels (including HD LiL) are available in Seattle-Tacoma WA 98230. As well as RSN info; see attached

Attachments

• untitled.JPG
    untitled.JPG
    39.6 KB · Views: 133
Blaine, WA (98230) - Local Channels Availability - Yes! Local channels (including HD LiL) are available in Seattle-Tacoma WA 98230. As well as RSN info; see attached

Thanks, so with HD channels etc its best to have the 5LNB slimline dish correct? Good for future use.

I am talking about your physical location, that is all, where is the system going to be set up, that is just something to keep in mind!

Thanks

The receiver is the DVR it's both intergrated.If you get the Premier pak it's included.Don't know why the fee could be technology could be copyright.Maybe someone else will be able to explain it.:confused:

The receiver is the DVR it's both intergrated.If you get the Premier pak it's included.Don't know why the fee could be technology could be copyright.Maybe someone else will be able to explain it.:confused:

I thought there was a regular HD box and then a HD box with DVR functionality? I know currently our sat boxes don't have any such charges, the receiver does the work.

thanks

I thought there was a regular HD box and then a HD box with DVR functionality? I know currently our sat boxes don't have any such charges, the receiver does the work.

thanks

Correct, the H20 is for HD and the HR20 is the DVR version.

There was a previous post about ordering sports pack. Being in Seattle area, I am not sure this is a good option, unless you like the ability to watch "The best dam' Sports Show" and "The Sports List" on 37 different channels at once. In my opinion, Sports pack works well in areas where you get your regular RSN and those respective NBA, NHL and MLB games, but if you MAY qualify for a neighboring area. For instance, I am in the DC RSN, but with sports pack I get Pittsburgh hockey and baseball. The only other advantage to sports pack is some college football in the fall. However, it's typically D1-AA or Ivy League games.

With blackout rules absolutely out of control, I would imagine sports pack is losing subscribers. Case in point, there is a Red Sox program about a game from 2006 on 623, and it's blacked out! When leagues are able to black out reruns from years ago, and specials like Yankeeography on YES, not sure why people would pay for all the blank screens.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts