Sports channels on Roku?

TheForce

SatelliteGuys Master
Original poster
Supporting Founder
Pub Member / Supporter
Oct 13, 2003
Jacksonville, FL, Earth
I'm asking for my son-in-law who likes MLB and NFL, any games when played.

What is possible to get on Roku? If not Roku, what is possible online he can stream with Safari on the Mac?

I suggested he erect an outdoor yagi and aim it 45 miles to the antenna farm and tune in locals for free but he feels his HOA will fine him. They permit sat dishes on a 4 ft pole next to the house. But satellite TV is too expensive for his budget. Absent that, I suggested he activate basic cable but they may want a lengthy contract. Just looking for options for his favorite sports.

This link will show you the available sports programming on Roku: Roku Channel Store | Netflix, Amazon Video On Demand, Hulu Plus & More on Roku Streaming Player Note that you have to pay for a subscription for most of the sports channels.
I'm asking for my son-in-law who likes MLB and NFL, any games when played. What is possible to get on Roku? If not Roku, what is possible online he can stream with Safari on the Mac? I suggested he erect an outdoor yagi and aim it 45 miles to the antenna farm and tune in locals for free but he feels his HOA will fine him. They permit sat dishes on a 4 ft pole next to the house. But satellite TV is too expensive for his budget. Absent that, I suggested he activate basic cable but they may want a lengthy contract. Just looking for options for his favorite sports.

I suggested he erect an outdoor yagi and aim it 45 miles to the antenna farm and tune in locals for free but he feels his HOA will fine him. They permit sat dishes on a 4 ft pole next to the house. But satellite TV is too expensive for his budget. Absent that, I suggested he activate basic cable but they may want a lengthy contract. Just looking for options for his favorite sports.

Not sure if you're aware of this or not, but HOAs cannot restrict (or fine you for) the placement of antennas to receive either satellite or OTA signals. The FCC has jurisdiction over this. You can search the forums for OTARD and you'll find many threads about this. A good one is http://www.satelliteguys.us/dish-forum/249386-legal-placement-dishes-owners-property.html as it also has a link to the FCC website on their rules governing this.

Don't let him cave to the dreaded heavy hand of the HOA. ;)

there are some private channels that do sports (i.e nowhereman TV) and justin tv (ehh at best).. I think there is one that shows distants out of harrisburg.. I think I saw NY and LA locals on there too

I'm asking for my son-in-law who likes MLB and NFL, any games when played.

What is possible to get on Roku? If not Roku, what is possible online he can stream with Safari on the Mac?

I have no clue of the programming options but with a mac and Air Parrot, he could stream pretty much anything to an Apple TV. And once Mountain Lion comes out, Airplay will be built into OSX.

Will AirParrot send to an ipad? I gave them my HDMI adapter with the ipad so if it can display on the ipad, it will play on their TV . There is some question as to whether the MACBook Pro I gave them can be upgraded to Lion but I understand Air Parrot will work now as a utility you can download.

We did find the MLB Roku app but still looking for NFL games for next Fall. I'm considering giving him access to one of my Sling boxes and let him watch it from my 722. sling to the ipad and then hdmi to the TV.

Will AirParrot send to an ipad? I gave them my HDMI adapter with the ipad so if it can display on the ipad, it will play on their TV . There is some question as to whether the MACBook Pro I gave them can be upgraded to Lion but I understand Air Parrot will work now as a utility you can download.

We did find the MLB Roku app but still looking for NFL games for next Fall. I'm considering giving him access to one of my Sling boxes and let him watch it from my 722. sling to the ipad and then hdmi to the TV.

I am not sure -- I did not actually buy Air Parrot, as I did not need it. Air Display is an app that will stream the mac desktop to the iPad, but I don't have the HDMI adapter, and have never tried to stream from mac to iPad to TV. But I have an Apple TV, it is easy to just use Airplay from the iPad.

If he is living in the Apple ecosystem, it strikes me that the Apple TV is the easiest solution for $99. And once Mountain Lion comes out (OR now with Air Parrot) he could go from Mac to Apple TV as well via airplay. Can already do it natively with iTunes video.

I have a program called AirFoil that lets me stream audio from the mac to the apple tv, but I got that before iCloud and iTunes Match came out, so now it is redundant (my whole iTunes library is available "in the cloud" on my Apple TV.

Sorry if I am making this more complicated. :)

Mike- actually you are giving me some gift ideas. But as I understand this is not about the original request, getting sports ( baseball and NFL live games) on TV when no cable or sat exists, only Roku.

Streaming from Mac Book Pro with Air Parrot free app to ipad seems simple enough. All the Hdmi adapter does is display all your ipad screen on the TV, any TV with HDMI input. With ipad1 the adapter was quite limited to just loaded videos and photos. With ipad2 and 3 you get the complete ipad screen DUPLICATED on the TV. So you still work the ipad normally. When you go full screen on the ipad of the video , it shows like a regular HD program full screen on the TV. The aspect ratio is a bit tricky, however.

So with that said we're still at a loss as to 1. how does this Air Parrot to ipad work? and 2. what sources are there to watch live event games via IPTV? MLB has been answered already for Roku but so far it seems the only solution for NFL is to give them access to my sling adapter and one of my 722's. There may be a legal issue with this, however.

Mike- actually you are giving me some gift ideas. But as I understand this is not about the original request, getting sports ( baseball and NFL live games) on TV when no cable or sat exists, only Roku.

Streaming from Mac Book Pro with Air Parrot free app to ipad seems simple enough. All the Hdmi adapter does is display all your ipad screen on the TV, any TV with HDMI input. With ipad1 the adapter was quite limited to just loaded videos and photos. With ipad2 and 3 you get the complete ipad screen DUPLICATED on the TV. So you still work the ipad normally. When you go full screen on the ipad of the video , it shows like a regular HD program full screen on the TV. The aspect ratio is a bit tricky, however.

So with that said we're still at a loss as to 1. how does this Air Parrot to ipad work? and 2. what sources are there to watch live event games via IPTV? MLB has been answered already for Roku but so far it seems the only solution for NFL is to give them access to my sling adapter and one of my 722's. There may be a legal issue with this, however.

I do not know if Airparrot to iPad works, but I assume it does. I don't have it. And I have no idea about the sources for watching those events are over IPTV.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts