Sports package question.

BatteryDude1975

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Dec 22, 2007
If I add the sports pack for my teams basketball games this month and cancel after the month what is the charge?

Thanks!

You might already have your local RSN to watch "your" team. If your team is in another area, the Sports Pack isn't going to help because the games will be blacked out in your area.

If you cancel a pack after 30 days of adding it, they won't charge you any fee.

But if you cancel within 30 days, you'll be charged $5. No matter if you upgrade or downgrade programming.
-------------------------------------------------
As per watching an out of market team,

If for example you live in Dallas and want to watch the Lakers, you can "move" to LA. Which is cheaper than getting the LP package.

But careful with those "moves" as you won't be able to tune in your local channels (no big deal if you can get them via OTA or Cable).

kikenovic said:
If you cancel a pack after 30 days of adding it, they won't charge you any fee.

But if you cancel within 30 days, you'll be charged $5. No matter if you upgrade or downgrade programming.
-------------------------------------------------
As per watching an out of market team,

If for example you live in Dallas and want to watch the Lakers, you can "move" to LA. Which is cheaper than getting the LP package.

But careful with those "moves" as you won't be able to tune in your local channels (no big deal if you can get them via OTA or Cable).

How does one "move" to a different city/market?

If you live in Dallas and want to watch the Lakers a 'move' to Los Angeles is not going to work. KCAL, the channel the Lakers play on is on a spot beam, as well as all the rest of the LA channels, and they do not reach anywhere close to Dallas.

If you live in Dallas and want to watch the Lakers a 'move' to Los Angeles is not going to work. KCAL, the channel the Lakers play on is on a spot beam, as well as all the rest of the LA channels, and they do not reach anywhere close to Dallas.
Interesting I thought they were on a RSN like most teams, must be pretty cool for folks in LA not having to subscribe to pay tv.

I'll have to change my example then.

So, lets say you live in Dallas and are a Bulls fan, in that case you could "move" to Chicago. CSN Chicago becomes your Regional Sports Network and Bulls games would be available to you.

However, your local channels would be unavailable and Mavs games would be blacked out.

I only scanned this thread quickly, but to answer the original question, there is only one way to avoid the charge for downgrading the sports pack (as I did) order a higher costing package. I was given an ultimatum from the wife. It was either the sports pack or upgrading the dish to HD platinum. so I upgraded and dumped the sports pack, which worked out in my favor since the sports pack went up in price soon after, but is still cheaper than HD platinum. The only thing that I miss is the non-blackout replay of NHL games, which I'm not sure if Dish black outs the replays like the NBA and MLB, now.

The only thing that I miss is the non-blackout replay of NHL games, which I'm not sure if Dish black outs the replays like the NBA and MLB, now.

Replays of NHL games are blacked out on the RSN's on Dish. FYI, it's the respective leagues that are requiring Dish to black out the games. Dish is not doing it on their own.

I know that the leagues are requiring it. In '09 I subscribed to the sports pack and noticed that I was able to watch most NHL replays, because there wasn't a restriction, then. I also noticed that any baseball game that went into extra innings (well over the 9th) would eventually be restored due to the system thinking the game was over. I thought that these would be noticed by the leagues and be rectified. Thanks for the update, now I know I made the right choice.

Replays of NHL games are blacked out on the RSN's on Dish. FYI, it's the respective leagues that are requiring Dish to black out the games. Dish is not doing it on their own.

most replays are shown on Directv blackout free.....so maybe Dish is the one who is doing it on their own? ;)

most replays are shown on Directv blackout free.....so maybe Dish is the one who is doing it on their own? ;)

Nope. Those are the rules that are imposed on Dish under the contract they negotiated. Everyone knows that Dish isn't exactly sports fan friendly. D* obviously negotiates sports contracts better than Dish. One thing Dish does have over D* is that Dish opens up games after their "time slot" has ended. D* keeps the game blacked out even if the game goes past the allotted time.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)