SportsPack blackout question - Big Ten Basketball

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Please reply by conversation.

mcaldero

Original poster
Jan 28, 2005
Evanston, IL
Can anyone with Sports Pack answer this question? When an RSN like one of the regional Comcast networks picks up a Big Ten basketball game from ESPN Plus (or ESPN Regional Television), is it blacked out outside of the RSN's market? There are a couple of Big Ten games in February on CSN West that I'd like to see, but don't want add Sports Pack if they are blacked out. Thanks in advance!

They may be blacked out if your local RSN is carrying a professional game at the time.

aec4 said:
They may be blacked out if your local RSN is carrying a professional game at the time.

I have a pretty good understanding of how most blackouts work, but I don't see how one has anything to do with the other. Can you explain your logic or why you believe this? Thanks.

I don't think there is any method to the blackout madness when it comes to NCAA hoops -- I ordered the sports pack on Jan 14 to see the G'town v. St.John's game -- told the CSR that I was ordering it SPECIFICALLY for that game, and wanted to make sure it would be on (it was listed on the MSG network). He said, yep, MSG is part of that package, you will get that game. Ordered away, set my tivo and went about my business.

Trun on the game 15 minutes into the 1st half (no problem because of Tivo's magical goodness) only to find that the game was blacked out.

Called Dtv, was told it was blacked out and they couldn't do anything about it. Told them I wanted my $$ back for the sports pack -- they tried to charge me the $10.00 early cancellation fee but ultimately relented after hearing my tale of woe.

Basically, it seems that ESPN owns the out of mkt boradcast rights to just about every major conference game, so if it is on a RSN, but you are not in that region, you will prob. be out of luck unless ESPN puts it one one of their networks -- or their Prohibitively expensive College Basketball package.

mcaldero said:
I have a pretty good understanding of how most blackouts work, but I don't see how one has anything to do with the other. Can you explain your logic or why you believe this? Thanks.
Because I've seen almost all of my RSNs in sports pak when I Had it be blacked out when a pro game was on.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)