Sportster 5 question

MrSnarkyPants

Active SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Feb 20, 2005
I replaced my MyFi in the car with a Sportster 5 a couple of weeks ago.

Compared to the MyFi, the Sportster takes an annoyingly long time to acquire a signal and start playing music - maybe 30 to 45 seconds from the initial startup chimes.

Is this normal for this radio, or is there something funky with the install? The guy at Best Buy pretty much tossed the antenna inside the dash... not optimal at all.

I'm also getting dropouts occasionally driving down the street, but again, that could be the craptacular installation.

On another note, the installer at BB said I was the first install he had done there in a month. Their mobile electronics section was completely dead. Two years ago, that department was always busy.

I heard from lots of my buddies that BB does the worst installs they ever seen. I got sirius about 6 months ago, bought it at BB for the rebate. Than I took it to Frys Electronics here in Phoenix. They charged $35 which was awsom, they put the radio where i wanted, mounted the atenna on the trunk, ran all wires under the inside of cars trim. Hard wired so I didn't need the 12v so in my opinion dont use BB. BTW no audio drop outs at all unless stuck under the overpass!

I just got the Sportster 5 to replace my Sportster Replay, since I wanted Best of XM for the NBA. The radio does take 30 or so seconds to play audio when the signal is good upon start up, it is annoying, but I am getting use to it. As far as signal drop outs, that could be related to antenna placement & trees, etc. I used my existing antenna from the Replay and I get the same signal strength and drop outs in the same places as I did with my Replay.

I would get the antenna out of the dash and remount it outside the car. I installed a Sportser 5 in my truck and my wifes car, and do not have the delay problem on either of them.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)