Spot Beam Geography

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Please reply by conversation.

EEJay

SatelliteGuys Guru
Original poster
Jan 8, 2005
I'm curious about DirecTV's current spot beam ability with local channels. I've read a lot of comments about people "moving" to a different area for different local channel service, but what's the farthest "move" someone has done. I live in Maryland, but I'd love to get the local channels from my home state, Kentucky. Is that possible?

No way.

As a very "general rule" spot beams are in the neighborhood of 100 -150 or so miles around their DMA; depending on the DMA, and they are not nearly a perfect radius.

Most of the time when people use a false service address they are looking to get "Distant Network Service" which is the networks from NY/LA. I don't think you'll get anything from Kentucky in Maryland. but some places neighboring DMAs should be possible, IE: Atlanta in Birmingham, Birmingham in Montgomery, SF in LA, SD in SF, etc.

Well, I moved over 180 miles away from Chicago & get it just fine. (I did put up a 3' dish, since the Chicago spotbeam was weaker than the other ones, which did the trick) I also can get St.Louis & Indianapolis with no problems as well - actually, 3 of the Chicago locals share the Indy spotbeam. I'm sure there are some spotbeams on the 119 bird I could probably get, but haven't tested any of those spots f/signal strength.

Also keep in mind that if you wanted any of the locals on the 72.5 bird, they should be able to be received anywhere since they are conus beams. (I understand that the signal strength on this bird does not hit southwestern part of the US too well, but obviously this can be tested first)

Looks like I'm with charper here. I'm much farther than your 180 mile distance. More like 500. Thanks for the info.

EEJay,

I have Louisville, KY locals. I'm in their DMA (unfortunately). I can tell you both Louisville and Lexington's spot beams don't go that far out. I believe Lexington's barely goes into WV.

dishrich..........

i also have moved pretty far away up near green bay and my chicago locals still come in fine.

quick question-does anyone know how the spot beams will be affected once the switch is made to mpeg-4???

loudo said:
i also have moved pretty far away up near green bay and my chicago locals still come in fine.

quick question-does anyone know how the spot beams will be affected once the switch is made to mpeg-4???

Well first of all, the MPEG-4 is ONLY for HD right now, so it shouldn't have any effect on the existing spot beams.

Please note that I said the size of a spot was "general" and "not perfect". Some DMAs overlap, some are much larger than others "depending on the DMA". Use these older maps as a sample reference; maybe someone can post some updated ones.

Attachments

• DirectSpotbeam01.png
    DirectSpotbeam01.png
    38.6 KB · Views: 244
  • DirectSpotbeam02.png
    DirectSpotbeam02.png
    52.8 KB · Views: 292
  • DirectSpotbeam03.png
    DirectSpotbeam03.png
    44.7 KB · Views: 236
dishrich said:
Well first of all, the MPEG-4 is ONLY for HD right now, so it shouldn't have any effect on the existing spot beams.

i guess im just wondering if they will change once mpeg 4 is up and running or if the spots will be the same as they are now

loudo said:
i guess im just wondering if they will change once mpeg 4 is up and running or if the spots will be the same as they are now

If they are NOT changing the SD stuff at all, why WOULD they change the SD spots... ;) ;) :confused: :confused:

dishrich said:
If they are NOT changing the SD stuff at all, why WOULD they change the SD spots... ;) ;) :confused: :confused:

i wasnt clear.....i have HD now and wondered if they would have the same size spot or whatever on thge new sats as they have for SD.

:)

loudo said:
i wasnt clear.....i have HD now and wondered if they would have the same size spot or whatever on thge new sats as they have for SD.

I don't know, but I'm wondering myself - guess we'll have to wait until it is up & running before we'll know the answer...

sine were on the quesion of spot beams i was wondering if u can have five different spot beams on the same transponder . such as transponder 4 can different spotbeams be on that same transponder as long as they dont overlap

beast37799 said:
sine were on the quesion of spot beams i was wondering if u can have five different spot beams on the same transponder . such as transponder 4 can different spotbeams be on that same transponder as long as they dont overlap

Yes, THAT'S the whole idea of using spotbeams - to enable reuse of frequencies in multiple areas. Here's a spotbeam/x-ponder chart of 101:

http://wvjw.info/dbs-beam/dtv4s.gif

(I don't know if it is still 100% accurate, but it'll give you an idea)

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts