Spot Beams

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Please reply by conversation.

SFBruins

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Jul 17, 2009
Boston
Sup Guys

well after watching the SatMaps i just wondering if Sat 101 , Sat 99s and Sat 103s are all the same Spot Beams ?

What i mean is let say Boston Locals is on the Sat 101 SD and HD is on the Sat 103s do both of there Spot Beams go the same distances ?

i like this stuff so i wanna learn it

The spot beams are not all the same. The HD spots have a much narrower coverage area.

It really isn't all that interesting. Part of this stems from the higher power requirements to drive higher frequencies and that the higher frequencies can be much more tightly focused.

In a couple of cases, this seems to have backfired as the spot beams don't fully cover the service area.

What i mean is let say Boston Locals is on the Sat 101 SD and HD is on the Sat 103s do both of there Spot Beams go the same distances ?

no

101 spotbeams are old. So the beams were much larger. Dish was the same way before they launched Echo 10. The spotbeam satellite on 101 may be the original one for Directv
99 & 103 are newer sats so they built them for more spotbeams. They figured "why have a beam cover Ohio when the locals are in Eastern NY" and they can utilize the beam area better

Somewhat off topic but curious - all of my (s) satellites show zero signal strength is that "normal"?

No,
IF your in a DMA (most people are) you should find a few that have high 90's normally and they are the ones that are generally serving your areas, now you can have more than 1 high one and 1 could be for YOUR city and another one for a city in the area.

Actually Jimbo there may be areas where spotbeam signals show 0....very rare but possible

But all of them? And your location says Connecticut...highly unlikely that they are all 0 considering HD locals are all on spotbeam ;)

Somewhat off topic but curious - all of my (s) satellites show zero signal strength is that "normal"?

If you let us know what you closest major city is, or your current DMA we can help you a lot more ....
That said, Hartford is on the 99 Sat and transponder 17, what are your SS at that transponder ?

The Raleigh NC spot beam covers a large area. Ive picked up the Raleigh spot beam in Boone NC which is in the western part of NC in the mountains and get 90s over in the eastern part of the state in Washington NC.
The SD spot beam I can not get in Boone but can in Washington.

The Raleigh NC spot beam covers a large area. Ive picked up the Raleigh spot beam in Boone NC which is in the western part of NC in the mountains and get 90s over in the eastern part of the state in Washington NC.
The SD spot beam I can not get in Boone but can in Washington.

Your saying you can get an HD channel across the state but can't get a SD one ?
I can understand the SD spot beam being much larger that you could get the SD ...
Are you SURE about that ?

I wonder if your on the edge of the SB at one location and IN it at the other.

In Tucson, I get 90+ on 7 TPs. 3 are for Phoenix, 2 are for Tucson, 1 for El Paso, and I haven't figured out the last one. Strange that El Paso booms in here, yet Albequrque has 0 strength.

just remember they are not perfect circles, they are not based solely on distance/miles and they aren't remotely the same size

Status
Please reply by conversation.