Spotbeam 15 on 61.5

mike_l

Active SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Aug 6, 2010
East
I meant Transponder 15 in the subject, guess you can't change that once you submit it.....

The following was from an old post:

http://www.satelliteguys.us/dish-network-forum/180936-anyway-know-what-spotbeam-i-am.html

You're in luck. Rainbow1/Echostar12 has been engineered to use a different set of transponders in adjacent/overlapping spotbeams. Spotbeam 3 can transmit using transponders 1, 3, 7, 15, 17, 19, and 23, while spotbeam 4 handles 5, 9, 11, 13, and 21. (Before anybody gets confused, the transponders above 15 are all still in conus mode.)

So we can answer your question unambiguously. Your strong signal on transponder 11 is coming at you via spotbeam 4, while your weaker transponder 15 is coming through spotbeam 3.

I know the quote is from a long time ago but I am in the same situation, I have been "moving" a few miles north to get the Philly locals for years. I currently get a signal of 73-75 on transponder 11. I also am getting a signal of 36-40 on transponder 15 and from the above quote it must be the New York spot #3 and not Virginia spot #4.

With that info I have 2 questions:

Is a signal of 36-40 strong enough to "move" further north to get NYC locals without much problems? I understand that rain, etc. would make them go out easier.

And how would this new satellite at 61.5 effect me of continuing to get that signal on transponder 15?

Thanks!!

Last edited:
Is a signal of 36-40 strong enough to "move" further north to get NYC locals without much problems? I understand that rain, etc. would make them go out easier.

And how would this new satellite at 61.5 effect me of continuing to get that signal on transponder 15?
Transponder 15 is also on the old Rainbow spot 5, but that's so far south I think you are probably right. This has got to be the NY spot 3 (numbering from the old maps). So, going out on a limb, and ignoring rain fade issues, I think you can "move" to NY and get the NY locals.

The new satellite is conus only, so I doubt this will affect E12 one way or the other. (E12 has all the spots.)

I meant Transponder 15 in the subject, guess you can't change that once you submit it.....

The following was from an old post:

http://www.satelliteguys.us/dish-network-forum/180936-anyway-know-what-spotbeam-i-am.html

I know the quote is from a long time ago but I am in the same situation, I have been "moving" a few miles north to get the Philly locals for years. I currently get a signal of 73-75 on transponder 11. I also am getting a signal of 36-40 on transponder 15 and from the above quote it must be the New York spot #3 and not Virginia spot #4.

With that info I have 2 questions:

Thanks!!
I "moved " years ago and get NYC locals on 61.5 TP 15 with a signal between 10 - 18 and don't have a problem most of the time. It goes out with heavy rains and sometimes late at night after 11:30 pm. I'm not usually up that late so I don't know how much of a problem it is late at night. I am 5- 6 hours northwest of NYC. I wouldn't worry with a signal of 36-40.

well i made the move to the NY DMA but am getting the "channel cannot be viewed outside the designated viewing area" message. Although I am still getting a signal of around 40 on transponder 15. Is it because the signal is not strong enough? Or are there other spot beams that have NY locals that I can't see so it doesn't allow any?

I do see the "sorry for the interruption, we are working to restore this channel...." on a few of the stations WMBC being one of them.

well i made the move to the NY DMA but am getting the "channel cannot be viewed outside the designated viewing area" message.
Huh. How does it know this? Did you change your zip code in the receiver?

That message means you are picking up another spotbeam with the same transponder active. They don't match so it shows that message.

So I am really getting the Virginia spot and not the NY spot, unlike what the quote above said?

No, that is not possible. There is no transponder 15 in spotbeam 4 for VA. The nearest is in spotbeam 3 for NY. Much farther away for the OP is spotbeam 5 for NC.
That message means you are picking up another spotbeam with the same transponder active. They don't match so it shows that message.
Which spotbeam numbering scheme is used in TheList? TheList shows everything for NY (on 61.5) on transponder 15, spotbeam 3, which seems to match the spot beam coverage maps for NY and even the old Rainbow 1 chart.

I do see the "sorry for the interruption, we are working to restore this channel...." on a few of the stations WMBC being one of them.
That channel is on transpoder 7, spotbeam 3. The same applies for transponder 7 as it does for 15. I really think this should work. Either you need to set a NY zip code, or else your receivers are not yet appraised of the change of service address.

Last edited:
I am getting the NY sports channels.

If I go to transponder 1, I get a signal of 2-3. WLIW is there. Also if I go to transponder 7, I get a 0 where a handful of locals are. Does it somehow know that I should be getting a signal on those and since I am not it figures I am not within the NY DMA?

Aren't some of the SD locals still on 110? Shouldn't I be able to pick them up?

Getting 2-3 on transponder 1, or 0 on transponder 7 is a very bad result which I do not understand. They are both, along with 15, on spotbeam 3. Why can't you get them all, or none?

That's Ion, which is rebroadcast locally unedited. I believe Dish has permission to rebroadcast the national feed to everybody with a local Ion channel. 72 is conus, so that explains that.

Edited to add: I think a hard reset is in order, after setting a NY zip code (just in case that matters).

Further edited to add: There appears to be no current use of transponder 15 in spotbeam 5 for NC. E12 is incapable of broadcasting on transponder 15 in spotbeam 4 for VA.

Last edited:
I put the zip code in, same as my "moved address", it was 00000. Another receiver had my real zip in but I changed that as well. Although I have a Dish 1000.4 and there is no option for that setup, so I am not sure what good a zip code in there does for me?

The dish guy said I would be getting NY locals and all the channels immediately showed up in the guide which was a few hours ago. I did notice on WLIW (channel 55 and most channels higher) when I go to them it come up with acquiring signal on 61.5, spot 15, then the spot changes to 21 then quickly to 1 or 7 and comes up with the "sorry for the interruption..." message. The main channels (2, 4, 5, etc.) quickly go to the outside area message.

I have reset it and even pulled the power for a few minutes and no luck, all 3 receivers ding the same thing. I really didn't want to have to hire the "movers" and move back to the Philly DMA!

Where are you "putting the zip code in?" If it is on the point dish screen, it will do absolutely nothing for you except tell you how your dish needs to be aimed. E* sets the zip code the receiver needs to use.

yeah in the point dish screen. Its been all 0's as far as I know for years. One of the new receivers did have my real zip in there.

Also strange is that now I get the same outside area on 8775, WSBK but WSBK on 236 is fine.

Press menu, select "system setup", then select "diagnostics", then select "counters", hit the down arrow 4 times and you should see the zip code the receiver is set for.

hmmm...... There is a 4 digit number, it's a NJ zip code and looks like the leading 0 is missing. How would I get them to put a 0 in there to make it the valid zip code?

Somebody else could answer better than me, but I would call them and get them to hit or reauthorize your receiver. Sounds like something may be corrupt in the receiver.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)