Spotbeam Question for Local

Status
Please reply by conversation.

River Hill

Original poster
Jun 3, 2008
I am getting ready to place my order for DirecTV and I have another question. Since I found out I can use one of the receivers for camping and such, is there a website that will show me if I can still get local stations where I am camping? I have not had much luck with a local antenna in the past.

My main address would be Westminster, MD 21157/Baltimore area and I camp in Bumpass, VA 23024/Richmond area. I guess I want to make sure I can get the major networks like ABC, CBS, NBC, and FOX.

I am getting ready to place my order for DirecTV and I have another question. Since I found out I can use one of the receivers for camping and such, is there a website that will show me if I can still get local stations where I am camping? I have not had much luck with a local antenna in the past.

My main address would be Westminster, MD 21157/Baltimore area and I camp in Bumpass, VA 23024/Richmond area. I guess I want to make sure I can get the major networks like ABC, CBS, NBC, and FOX.
Hi... there are many postings about camping/tailgating. There is no way to be absolutely sure if you'll get the spotbeams (that I'm aware of) but I have gotten mine about 200mi. south of Cincy (SD only) I would have to think that it's different based on the population density etc. so my guess is the east coast (your neighborhood) it'll be touch n go. I would be interested in hearing if you do get them though. HTH.:cool:

Hey... just did a google map and it says 133 miles. That may be in the margin of error

hey bud, from what i have heard, i know that washington locals go past richmond, so baltimore should hit bump in the ass area :) hey you camp near were i live! :) nice area!

What you're going to have to hope for is that your camping location falls within the spotbeam that serves your home address, assuming you'll be using your home address as your service address. I think you'll be okay since the beam pattern looks like it might cover the Richmond area as well. More info on the D* spotbeams can be found at Spotbeam Satellites (with thanks to the EKB for the link).

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)