Spotbeam Question

Status
Please reply by conversation.

mxmerc

Original poster
Sep 14, 2007
Alright, so I'm having a little trouble understanding this whole spotbeam issue. I have found several maps showing the spotbeam coverage in my area. I am currently in Lexington, KY and receive the KY locals, obviously. For a couple of reasons, namely sports and big network hd channels, I am thinking of "moving" to Pittsburgh. I was hoping somebody could help me understand if I'm likely to be in the Pittsburgh spotbeam here in Lexington. From the maps I've seen it either looks like, a) yes definitely or b) just on the fringe. Thanks in advance for any insight. Oh this is one of the maps I found. http://ekb.dbstalk.com/pictures/echo8.gif

Those beam maps are for the old SD only beams, and may be out of date at this point.

There are no maps for the new HD satellites, and the beams are MUCH tighter. More than 100 miles out of the DMA, and you'll be out of luck, most likely.

Yep those are from as far back as 2002 AND that one appears to be a Dish Network map at that. Most all of those spot maps were "hunt-and-peck guesstimates" anyway.

OP: you are too far away for PIT most likely. If you HAVE to move , you might fair better with NASH, CINCY, or INDY.

Speaking of spot beams and "moving", I have a question I need to ask. I currently physically live in Nashville, but I "moved" to the Paducah/Cape Girardeau, MO market so I would be in the St. Louis sports market, as well as avoiding blackout rules for the Rams and Cardinals. My question is do you think I could pick up St. Louis SD locals if I "move" to Perryville, MO zip code [SIZE=-1]63775, which is considered a neighboring market for St. Louis locals. Also, would this affect my blackouts?

For instance, lets say the Rams are playing at home and they do not sellout, so the game is blackout on on KTVI Fox 2 in St. Louis, but the game is also being broadcast on KBSI Fox 23 in Cape Girardeau, MO.
If you live in Perryville, MO, your local channels are based out of Cape/Paducah, so I assume I would still be able to watch the game on KBSI-23 (which is not blackout for Rams games like St. Louis is). Am I correct?

[/SIZE]

Last edited:
Hmmm, by air; that is a large distance. Seems you will either need to verify with another local doing it or just try trial and error.

Hmmm, by air; that is a large distance. Seems you will either need to verify with another local doing it or just try trial and error.

I think my real question got mixed up in here.

If I "move" to zip code 63775, my locals are still in the same market as they are now, which is the Cape Girardeau, MO/Paducah, KY DMA.

Zip code 63775 qualifies for Significantly view channels or "neighboring locals" for the St. Louis DMA. I read another post somewhere that when you qualify for significantly viewed channels, you only get them in SD, not HD. I don't know if that is true or not. What sat are the St. Louis SD locals on and are they spot beamed like the HD channels are?

I'm thinking my chances are slim to actually pull those in but I guess all I can do is try.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)