spotify is asking for your help with something

four words
R
O
K
U
I appreciate your point but disagree on the platform. Roku is not a particularly wonderful platform for apps. It is an awesome streamer but beyond that it isn't particularly well suited to non-streaming tasks.

If apps are the goal, there are a whole bunch of Android TV products out there that bring literally tens of thousands of opportunities to constipate the system.

The Hopper is NOT the place for tinkering with apps.

well sorry i have to disagree with you guys i know many of you guys would not have many more apps to your hopper with sling i do i want tunein and iheart radio you guys know my position on these two so well i just wanted to let you guys know about spotify the more responses they get on that website postive or negative could let them know people wanting them to come to the hopper with sling dvr.spotify sent me that link this morning.

How is adding an app to the Hopper a bad thing? If you don't want to use it, don't use it. Adding apps doesn't "bog down" the Hopper. If you never opened it you'd never know it was there.

Reactions: bluegras
Adding apps doesn't "bog down" the Hopper.
Says who?

Having to set everything up to support apps as well as basic DVR functionality creates overhead and interactions that wouldn't otherwise be there. Overhead is what bogs things down.

The PROMs are only so large and the RAM is limited. Should they take more space on the hard drive for a larger swap partition?

well sorry i have to disagree with you guys i know many of you guys would not have many more apps to your hopper with sling i do i want tunein and iheart radio you guys know my position on these two so well i just wanted to let you guys know about spotify the more responses they get on that website postive or negative could let them know people wanting them to come to the hopper with sling dvr.spotify sent me that link this morning.
Perhaps you should initiate a poll and see if you're hopes and goals are shared. If they aren't, you should probably avail yourself of one of the many alternatives presented and let the DVR software people concentrate on DVR software.

Says who?

Having to set everything up to support apps as well as basic DVR functionality creates overhead and interactions that wouldn't otherwise be there. Overhead is what bogs things down.

The PROMs are only so large and the RAM is limited. Should they take more space on the hard drive for a larger swap partition?

But the Hopper has all of that infrastructure there anyway, so if they have one app or fifty, they have the "overhead" for being able to run apps. And, some apps are definitely very important to them and their customers like Netflix, so what's the harm in adding something like Spotify? Again, if you don't need it don't use it.

Dish/echostar should develop a stand alone media device like a Roku/AppleTV and house all the Hoppers apps on it. Give it hdmi pass through ability so that the user can use it with the Hopper on the same input.

This way those subs who want the extra apps/features can have them and the coders/engineers at dish don't have to spend extra time debugging an app that keeps your DVR from working.

And call it the Koala. ;)

Reactions: osu1991
Dish/echostar should develop a stand alone media device like a Roku/AppleTV and house all the Hoppers apps on it. Give it hdmi pass through ability so that the user can use it with the Hopper on the same input.

This way those subs who want the extra apps/features can have them and the coders/engineers at dish don't have to spend extra time debugging an app that keeps your DVR from working.

And call it the Koala. ;)

That is maybe the worst idea I've ever heard in my life.

Reactions: TheKrell

I bought one of those already. It's called the Logitech Revue. :D

Jesus H Bartholomew......................breathe.

But the Hopper has all of that infrastructure there anyway, so if they have one app or fifty, they have the "overhead" for being able to run apps. And, some apps are definitely very important to them and their customers like Netflix, so what's the harm in adding something like Spotify? Again, if you don't need it don't use it.
Even if you don't use it, it is taking up resources and if you do, it is taking up more resources. Leave the apps for devices that have absolutely nothing better to do.

Reactions: osu1991
Personally, I don't see a reason for the app. I can see apps for Netflix, Hutu, HBO, Showtime, and the like, don't see music and games being any use. BUT that's just me. I have better ways to listen to music....and don't game on the big screen. To each his own. Now, if I had a choice on what apps I want on my HWS THAT would be ok with me to have more apps available. Does anyone know if apps just being on the box slows down the system?

Even if you don't use it, it is taking up resources and if you do, it is taking up more resources. Leave the apps for devices that have absolutely nothing better to do.

But it already has that stuff, and they aren't going to remove it. Especially with the Netflix and On Demand apps, those are core to what the Hopper is--a cable box. Since the infrastructure for apps is already there, what's the harm in them adding additional, marginal features? Again, if you don't want to use Spotify, don't use it. I also still don't concede that having the ability to run apps or having the apps available take up any resources. I have seen no evidence of that at all.

Personally, I don't see a reason for the app. I can see apps for Netflix, Hutu, HBO, Showtime, and the like, don't see music and games being any use. BUT that's just me. I have better ways to listen to music....and don't game on the big screen. To each his own. Now, if I had a choice on what apps I want on my HWS THAT would be ok with me to have more apps available. Does anyone know if apps just being on the box slows down the system?

If you don't want to use the apps, just don't use them. There's no evidence that having an app on the box that you don't use slows it down at all, and the code is so small (and probably stored on a different part of memory) that it isn't taking away from your recording space.

But it already has that stuff, and they aren't going to remove it. Especially with the Netflix and On Demand apps, those are core to what the Hopper is--a cable box. Since the infrastructure for apps is already there, what's the harm in them adding additional, marginal features? Again, if you don't want to use Spotify, don't use it. I also still don't concede that having the ability to run apps or having the apps available take up any resources. I have seen no evidence of that at all.

If you don't want to use the apps, just don't use them. There's no evidence that having an app on the box that you don't use slows it down at all, and the code is so small (and probably stored on a different part of memory) that it isn't taking away from your recording space.

Let's try an experiment. Let's pretend your hopper is an empty bowl. Let's pretend the amount of empty space in the bowl is the total amount of resources (memory, storage, etc.) are the space in that bowl. Let's pretend that functionality (the GUI, the applications, etc.) are eggs. Start putting those eggs in your bowl. Does your bowl fill up? If it didn't take up any resources then you could keep adding forever.

Reactions: KAB
Let's try an experiment. Let's pretend your hopper is an empty bowl. Let's pretend the amount of empty space in the bowl is the total amount of resources (memory, storage, etc.) are the space in that bowl. Let's pretend that functionality (the GUI, the applications, etc.) are eggs. Start putting those eggs in your bowl. Does your bowl fill up? If it didn't take up any resources then you could keep adding forever.

I know how computers work, I do not have to have it dumbed down for me. Storage space on the box is not the same thing as memory or RAM.

If you have a 5 TB hard drive, it doesn't matter if you have 1 or 3 TB of stuff on it, your computer will run just the same.

What impacts performance more than anything is RAM, which is totally and completely separate from hard drive/firmware/prom/storage space. Only programs that are running take up RAM, so if you never once in your life launch the spotify app, you will never have a byte of data from Spotify occupy the RAM of your Hopper.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)