Spring Fever !

Status
Please reply by conversation.

brentb636

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Jun 24, 2006
5 miles N of Saugatuck, Mi
We've had about 3 days in a row, where the sun comes out ( rare in Michigan winter), and the temp soars to the mid-30's . Wow, I say. So I went out to my dishes and pulled off all the switches, and setup direct lnbf cable runs . Any switches used now will be in my little room, behind the TV set. I still have to run 2 more cables out to the dishes, to properly allow a MS34 setup on the 1.0M Ku dish, but I feel better with fewer connections outside, exposed to the elements. The motorized dishes seem more reliable, too.
When spring REALLY gets here, I want to plant another pole in the ground , probably to put my 90cm back up as a dedicated blindscan setup.

We all have our dreams.
:)

When spring REALLY gets here, I want to plant another pole in the ground , probably to put my 90cm back up as a dedicated blindscan setup.

We all have our dreams.
:)

"Another pole in the ground"...sounds like classic symptom of FTA-itis:D
I have my switches inside now too, I did it just so I could change things without going outside in the cold but I think things do work better at room temperature...especially when its -35 outside.

Everyone here seems to have better setups than me. I got started by ordering a fixed dish that was on sale and a refurb. Coolsat 5000. After I received received my order I put the dish together and attached it to a wooden landscape timber post. A couple months later I added a motor. That's the way it's been for a year and a half; it works pretty good. So far I've gone by the motto "If it ain't broke, don't fix it." This winter though, the heavy snow and winds have slightly moved and loosened my post. I beat a couple rocks back into the hole to straighten the post and get it working again. I still get decent reception all through the arc, but the next windstorm will likely put me way off. I think that I'll probably have to install a metal post at some point in time.

Brent I'm in the same boat here in MN. We had a couple days where it was 30-33 out. Problem is I have so much snow on the roof I cant climb on it. I did work on the dish farm on the deck a little bit :)

It was in the twenties yesterday, and the sun was shining. i heard this "Ping, Ping" sound on the metal roof joining my houses together, it was water dripping of the roof of the big house. Spring is just around the corner. Looking forward to switching to an all bandstacked system...

Yes it's lovely to see the snow melting away. Luckily all my switches are outside but covered. One fixed dish for 63W needs the pole to be concreted this spring. It's sitting in the hole surrounded by the mushy clay stuff we call dirt. This week I'm going to put a SG2100 on the 36" fixed dish I put in for my brother last fall....at least most of the snow should be gone. Hurrrrrrrry up spring I'm ready!. Blind

I guess winter here at 76 today isn't too bad. I've been putting a dish on Intelsat 902 at 62east to get English football FTA on an Iran tv channel. You know there is something wrong when the EU has to pay to watch its own Football and they get it for free :rant::rant:

I guess winter here at 76 today isn't too bad. I've been putting a dish on Intelsat 902 at 62east to get English football FTA on an Iran tv channel. You know there is something wrong when the EU has to pay to watch its own Football and they get it for free :rant::rant:
It was in the mid 70's for the last three days in sunny Naples Florida. That's because I will be heading home at the end of the week. Most of the Floridians tell me this is the coldest winter in Florida in a long time.

All is not lost; I will be picking up a brand new 1.2 meter Prodelin dish at their warehouse in Newton, NC.

This spring I'll probably replace my slimline 3 LNB with a slimline SWM 3 LNB. Right now I have 3 DIRECTV coax lines and an OTA coax line running from the second story roof down to the basement area for redistribution. Once I've got the SWM in place I'll only have one DIRECTV line and one OTA coax running into the house. It'll be much cleaner on the outside and it'll be a good time to replace all the coax with solid copper center coax.

We, too, have had three days of weather in the 60's and 70's in SC. But tomorrow will be starting a new cold spell again with lows in the high 20's again.

At least it gave us a break from so much cold weather. Now we know spring will be here soon.

I buy my 4x1 switches in lots of ten. That way I just throw them away like candy if I suspect moisture is in them. So I can definitely identify with your connection problem.

I bought 50 one time and gave away half of them to a friend. Later, I wished I had kept them all. Oh, well.

Yeah, and here above the gorge, it has gotten up to over 50° in the day time for several days, but back down to below 20° at night. If I run the pump during the day and don't blow out the lines I get to HOPE they have not broken! So far OK!

BUT the Miry Clay....

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts