Spring White Out... What is it??

shaudods

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
May 27, 2008
georgia
I have read on a few posts about a "Traditional Spring White Out"... what sparked my interest was when I heard people complaining about it in conjunction with Sat. 129. I live in atlanta and lost my link with 129 last week (in turn losing my locals). I was wondering if what ever this spring white out thing is, may have something to do with it. I had a tech out and he claims I have blockage from trees, but it worked great for over a year and a half and then I lost it for good last week. I figured if a tree grew into my view of the sat. i would have experienced some intermentant signal loss before i lost it for good... Anyways.. anyone's input would be greatly appreciated! Thanks!

I have read on a few posts about a "Traditional Spring White Out"... what sparked my interest was when I heard people complaining about it in conjunction with Sat. 129. I live in atlanta and lost my link with 129 last week (in turn losing my locals). I was wondering if what ever this spring white out thing is, may have something to do with it. I had a tech out and he claims I have blockage from trees, but it worked great for over a year and a half and then I lost it for good last week. I figured if a tree grew into my view of the sat. i would have experienced some intermentant signal loss before i lost it for good... Anyways.. anyone's input would be greatly appreciated! Thanks!
Unless you watch the signal strength meter instead of the picture you probably won't see tree growth until the picture disappears.

In the summer trees have a habit of putting on leaves real quick.. And seemingly overnight the sat signal can be lost. Trees grow. Time for a dish relocation I suspect.

Never heard of the term "Spring White Out".. Unless it is referring to the equinox that happens in the fall and spring which causes havoc with sat signals as the sun lines up directly behind the satellite and your dish. This is a couple week aggrevation.

Satellite eclipse will cause you to lose signals on a certain sat at a certain time of the day. On the old analog systems, the eclipse would interrupt the signal, leaving the user with just a white snowy picture as if someone cut the feed. This effect should at best last only a few minutes for a few days for each satellite, twice a year. If your outage is longer than a few minutes, then it is not the cause of your problem.

Around here, the event took place around March 17-21 for 129.

IF the Dish has to be moved, it's a $99 fee, for a service install, good luck trying to get Dish to drop that...I had it done for 1 customer, but no details :p

IF the Dish has to be moved, it's a $99 fee, for a service install, good luck trying to get Dish to drop that...I had it done for 1 customer, but no details :p
Sounds reasonable to me. Cheaper than calling a plumber.

According to the tech guy, he said he would call dish on my behalf and it wouldnt cost anything. What they have to understand is, I can switch to my local cable company for free and I wouldnt have this problem. They are ALWAYS running "ditch the dish" deals. The service wouldnt be as good, but if I start threatening to leave I am sure they will cut a deal.

According to the tech guy, he said he would call dish on my behalf and it wouldnt cost anything. What they have to understand is, I can switch to my local cable company for free and I wouldnt have this problem. They are ALWAYS running "ditch the dish" deals. The service wouldnt be as good, but if I start threatening to leave I am sure they will cut a deal.
DON"T bet on it DISH has told many customers good bye.:)

You said it yourself. The service isn't as good.. Which is why most people here don't have cable.. The bluff of cutting off sometimes works. But I tell all my customers to have a backup plan when Dish tells you goodbye..
Personally I say just pony up and pay BECAUSE it is better than cable. Been doing this stuff for 25 years since the BUD days.. And the one constant I have found is customers who believe they deserve something for nothing. Sure wish all you guys who complain about prices would have been around when you actually had to drop $1000-$4000 for a sat system.. You might not complain so much about a $99 service call..

Guy from the Air Conditioning company came by two days ago.. Recharged my Freon. Spent less time here than I normally do at a Service call.. Cost me $121.00 And he didn't have to move the Air conditioning unit. I pay the Electric company every month for my air conditioning... Maybe I should demand they fix my air for free.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)