Sprint Giving FREE Cell Service to DirecTV Customers

Status
Please reply by conversation.
What are you talking about? Though Verizon is the most expensive, it also has the best coverage!
Not necessarily. Where I live in north central Minnesota AT&T works the best with Verizon a close second. but you go two miles down the road and Verizon has a massive drop off spot where AT&T does not.

Note I have both providers. One with my Minneapolis number and one with my local number.

T mobile data is only 2G where I live and sprint has to roam on Verizon to work

So as they say your mileage may vary

Don't be so sure! ;)

I'm impressed...be thankful it works in your area! I'm not sure I could have generated 4G speeds long and fast enough in CLT area to have used 5GB in a month if my phone was downloading/streaming 24/7. :confused: (A moot point...connection speeds usually made streaming useless anyways. LOL)

I'll admit, I was a staunch defender of Sprint for a long time...had the service for nearly 15 years...but the last couple years saw their network go down the toilet around the CLT area and specifically down in the area where I live. Data Speeds were horrible, even when data would actually stay connected...and dropped calls were the norm. My parents and I both had Sprint, and there were nights we'd drop 2-3 calls in a 15 minute span trying to have a phone conversation. This was over a period where we had multiple high-end phones...so devices weren't the issue. Sprint would say all was fine in the area.We finally had enough and both switched to Verizon in the spring and words can't describe how much of an improvement its been. Data and Voice. Sprint could pay me for the service, and I probably wouldn't take it at this point.

I started out with Nextel in the early 2000s, dual subscribed to Nextel and AT&T when the iPhone came out because of AT&Ts lousy service. Graduated to Android and completely moved over to Sprint, had a brief stint with Verizon when they launched LTE in my market and Sprint just announced their Network Vision plan. Sprint got to be worse than dial up at times. I could be within eyesight of a Sprint tower, have full bars, and barley break 100Kbps on EVDO A. At that time I had a job that had me on the road doing a lot of regional traveling, my smartphone was my GPS, a way to look up phone numbers and a way to find places to eat. So I switched to Verizon for a period of about 14 months. Then as soon as Network Vision hit upstate NY I ported back to Sprint and paid the ETF with a smile on my face. Areas in the Southern portion of NY state, that were previously 1XRTT being fed by at best crusty T1 lines, now had LTE with fiber backhaul averaging 30Mb Down and 10Mb Up.

In door LTE reception isn’t the greatest. When Band 26 gets lit up, that should fill in some coverage gaps and drastically improve in door and underground reception. Due to my proximity to Canada, that might still be a little bit though. I hardly ever use my cell phone at home, so I don't care what the reception is like, but having had three of the four major carriers, none of them are all that great in my neck of the woods. Living in a rural area, and working in a small village where there's nothing else around for miles, I like that Sprint didn't do what the other providers do and cherry pick. Very first tower to be lit up with LTE in the Buffalo market was in a pretty rural area. Second and third towers were the ones by our airport and tower #4 the one by where I work.

Sprint has been rebuilding all of their towers from the ground up, they have the spectrum and things are improving. But the bottom line is they need more towers and they really need to put pressure on their backhaul providers.

Now that AT&T owns DirecTV, I would like to see a special discount, for a high level of data, offered to DirecTV subscribers for AT&T’s mobile wireless service. If that does not happen…I won’t be switching from Verizon.

Now that AT&T owns DirecTV, I would like to see a special discount, for a high level of data, offered to DirecTV subscribers for AT&T’s mobile wireless service. If that does not happen…I won’t be switching from Verizon.
Personally I'd like the see similar plan prices to what Verizon offers. 80 bucks for 12GB is nice.

I started out with Nextel in the early 2000s, dual subscribed to Nextel and AT&T when the iPhone came out because of AT&Ts lousy service. Graduated to Android and completely moved over to Sprint, had a brief stint with Verizon when they launched LTE in my market and Sprint just announced their Network Vision plan. Sprint got to be worse than dial up at times. I could be within eyesight of a Sprint tower, have full bars, and barley break 100Kbps on EVDO A. At that time I had a job that had me on the road doing a lot of regional traveling, my smartphone was my GPS, a way to look up phone numbers and a way to find places to eat. So I switched to Verizon for a period of about 14 months. Then as soon as Network Vision hit upstate NY I ported back to Sprint and paid the ETF with a smile on my face. Areas in the Southern portion of NY state, that were previously 1XRTT being fed by at best crusty T1 lines, now had LTE with fiber backhaul averaging 30Mb Down and 10Mb Up.

In door LTE reception isn’t the greatest. When Band 26 gets lit up, that should fill in some coverage gaps and drastically improve in door and underground reception. Due to my proximity to Canada, that might still be a little bit though. I hardly ever use my cell phone at home, so I don't care what the reception is like, but having had three of the four major carriers, none of them are all that great in my neck of the woods. Living in a rural area, and working in a small village where there's nothing else around for miles, I like that Sprint didn't do what the other providers do and cherry pick. Very first tower to be lit up with LTE in the Buffalo market was in a pretty rural area. Second and third towers were the ones by our airport and tower #4 the one by where I work.

Sprint has been rebuilding all of their towers from the ground up, they have the spectrum and things are improving. But the bottom line is they need more towers and they really need to put pressure on their backhaul providers.
Ever been up to the Albany Area, I live near there, I have wondered if they ever got LTE in, I had Sprint in 2013, and they didn't have 4G LTE in my area, always said COMING SOON, and never did, got tired and switched to AT&T, never drop a call, or anything, just wish the Data plans were better priced like Verizon is.

At least Sprint is charging At&t customers exactly what Sprint it worth...

Ever been up to the Albany Area, I live near there, I have wondered if they ever got LTE in, I had Sprint in 2013, and they didn't have 4G LTE in my area, always said COMING SOON, and never did, got tired and switched to AT&T, never drop a call, or anything, just wish the Data plans were better priced like Verizon is.

It's been years since I've been in the Capital Region so I can't say first hand. Here's Sprint's network map of Albany. 1 Data upgrade means upgraded 3G, 2 Data upgrades meant the tower is broadcasting LTE.

https://network.sprint.com/NY/Albany/

This is real world coverage for your area for those who participate in Sensorly

http://www.sensorly.com/map/4G/US/USA/Sprint/lte_310sprint#q=Albany,+NY,+USA|coverage

You have to lease/buy one of their phones so it's not free. Think I'll just stick with T-mobile.

You have to lease/buy one of their phones so it's not free. Think I'll just stick with T-mobile.
Yep, T-Mobile is hard to switch from. Here in S. Florida their value is unmatched, lowest cost, best service & instruments & treat you like a valued customer. Been with them almost 12 years & never had a problem that they weren't willing to resolve. Have called in regarding technical issues & after resolving the rep have pointed out where I could save money on my plan, which other company does that? 5 lines all with unlimited data at less than $150/mth ($280 with smartphone payments) & 100% coverage in all the areas I commute to on a daily basis. Does get a little spotty in some rural Florida areas but good service in the more metropolitan areas.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)