Sprint LTE?

This Sprint site will show you where they are as far as LTE and what Cell Sites they plan on upgrading so forth.. Just pull up your city or put in your zip code.

https://network.sprint.com/

Their "See what's happening in your neighborhood" site is quite nice...unfortunately, the fine print reads, "Map depicts Sprint 3G Network and Nationwide Sprint Network upgrades only" and their 4G LTE information is nothing more than the press release. According to this site, Baltimore should (with should being the operative word in this sentence) have some live towers---but I'm not seeing any---and Washington DC should start lighting up by the end of this month. But it also appears that Sprint is running behind schedule in several markets so we'll just have to wait and see.

The phone itself is nice and speedy. Camera seemed a little off to me but "autocorrect" seemed to fix the pics up. I had one from a preorder (that arrived a week late thanks to Apple's bogus patent claim). Lost it after a month. Had crappy flip phones for years and I couldn't get rid of the things. Get a nice phone and lose it within a month. Go figure. Found out about "Plan B" after I'm sure the battery had run down. It will turn on the GPS and report the phones position via a text message and email. Wish I knew about it in the first couple of days it was missing.

Couldn't stomach the $549 for a replacement without upgrade credit so I had to switch to a GSII.

Toggle your Lte lte/cdma setting on your phone. You will be surprised it may connect. The scan time becomes very long after no Lte signal. The threshold isn't that great either right now. Hopefully the new update that fixes this will be out soon.

Sent from my C64 w/Epyx FastLoad cartridge

I turned LTE on/off in the process of searching for an LTE signal threshold setting on the phone...didn't find one. As much time as I spent running between DC and Baltimore over a 3-week period, I would have thought that I would have connected to an LTE tower at some point. I also spent several hours at Baltimore-Washington and Reagan National Airports and could have really used WiMax on my old EVO. C'est la vie. I just hope Sprint starts lighting up some of these LTE towers. But perhaps it's a network setting (i.e., Sprint not wanting to allow LTE connections until a certain percentage of towers are online. :)

Thanks, I was in a couple of those areas but couldn't pickup LTE. I read a report that said 16 LTE sites were now online in Baltimore (including the downtown area), but I read another that said LTE was poised to launch on 4 September. Go figure! Regardless, I'm sure hope we get a firmware update when the LTE finally rolls into town en masse.

I finally got LTE working on my EVO LTE in Baltimore...well, sort of. It works great when I'm stationary, but when I'm mobile I have to toggle airplane mode on/off to get it back. Very annoying.

268641116.png

I finally got LTE working on my EVO LTE in Baltimore...well, sort of. It works great when I'm stationary, but when I'm mobile I have to toggle airplane mode on/off to get it back. Very annoying.

268641116.png

Welcome to the EVO LTE connectivity issue. I didn't believe all the people talking about it either until I was in Houston for a couple of days. 2 of us had EVO LTE's and one other with a Samsung GS3. It was very evident when comparing the two phone types. If I only had the EVO LTE I would think the new network was absolute garbage. So I can only imagine was other people think when they only have the EVO LTE to look at. We went around to many areas and before the weekend was up we would look at the Samsung to see how the LTE was there. Then we would do the EVO LTE airplane mode dance to pick it up. Sometimes it would drop it though like you explained. Toggle, then it would come back. Very annoying. We did find that if we change the data scan to CDMA LTE only which is basically 1X and LTE only, it worked much better. Don't forget to change it back to include HDR though when you have no LTE coverage otherwise you'll be using just 1X.

I've talked with Sprint several times on this issue and they deny the issue exists. Other users around the US also state they are getting the same thing. Some reps will tell them it is getting worked on but I believe that is just to get them off the phone. One Sprint store even told a user that the EVO LTE didn't support LTE since he pointed out in their store that all the other LTE devices were connected to LTE except for the EVO LTE. I would just make sure you get a ticket opened on the issue. It's the only way any kind of "noise" is going to be made on the issue as others will see the tickets. If you let the rep tell you it is being worked on without a ticket then the phone call is a complete waste. I have also heard a couple of users kept going into the store to get their EVO LTE repaired for this a couple of times and finally got the store to switch them out to a GS3.

Welcome to the EVO LTE connectivity issue. I didn't believe all the people talking about it either until I was in Houston for a couple of days. 2 of us had EVO LTE's and one other with a Samsung GS3. It was very evident when comparing the two phone types. If I only had the EVO LTE I would think the new network was absolute garbage. So I can only imagine was other people think when they only have the EVO LTE to look at. We went around to many areas and before the weekend was up we would look at the Samsung to see how the LTE was there. Then we would do the EVO LTE airplane mode dance to pick it up. Sometimes it would drop it though like you explained. Toggle, then it would come back. Very annoying. We did find that if we change the data scan to CDMA LTE only which is basically 1X and LTE only, it worked much better. Don't forget to change it back to include HDR though when you have no LTE coverage otherwise you'll be using just 1X.

I've talked with Sprint several times on this issue and they deny the issue exists. Other users around the US also state they are getting the same thing. Some reps will tell them it is getting worked on but I believe that is just to get them off the phone. One Sprint store even told a user that the EVO LTE didn't support LTE since he pointed out in their store that all the other LTE devices were connected to LTE except for the EVO LTE. I would just make sure you get a ticket opened on the issue. It's the only way any kind of "noise" is going to be made on the issue as others will see the tickets. If you let the rep tell you it is being worked on without a ticket then the phone call is a complete waste. I have also heard a couple of users kept going into the store to get their EVO LTE repaired for this a couple of times and finally got the store to switch them out to a GS3.

Thanks! I drove around the tower and the phone would keep dropping out of 4G when I drove at normal speeds (45-50 mph). Okay, not a major problem...however, when I came to a stop the phone was never re-establish LTE comm....until I did the airplane mode toggle. Oh, and I had 4 or 5 bars (very strong signal) and the tower was visible. Is this is known issue with all EVO LTEs or just the earlier models?

That isn't your LTE signal strength either. That's the 1X signal for voice/sms. You have to go into the Settings -> About -> Network etc to see your LTE signal. Or you can dial ##DEBUG# and go into the LTE engineering screen to see it. Eventually every tower will have LTE on it, but you could actually be connecting to another site and were simply driving around the site you were connected to on the 1X side.

Here's more info on it including the signal strength scales:
http://s4gru.com/index.php?/topic/2040-bars-lie-for-lte-signal-strength-how-to-determine-your-actual-lte-signal-strength/

I'm not going to say known issue since Sprint or HTC have not publicly stated the know about the issue. I will say it's a customer known issue by many of the users in LTE areas though. Many have posted pictures of their EVO LTE next to a GS3, iPhone5, GNex, or LG Viper. The EVO is sitting on 3G and the others are on 4G. Is it going to be fixed? Who knows. HTC has tried twice already and failed.

If you are finding LTE be sure and download the Sensorly app from the google play store so you can map out the LTE as well. There are maps on the app of where others have found LTE too. It's a crowd sourced signal map.

LER:

Sweet. I get decent WiMax (about 14-18 Mbit / second) here. No LTE yet on Sprint. I'm going to have an ATT loaner with LTE to test for a few days.

What type of speeds are you seeing? Hopefully Sprint added backhaul capacity too.

LER:

Sweet. I get decent WiMax (about 14-18 Mbit / second) here. No LTE yet on Sprint. I'm going to have an ATT loaner with LTE to test for a few days.

What type of speeds are you seeing? Hopefully Sprint added backhaul capacity too.

Of course they added backhaul, the old bonded T1s wouldn't cut it. They added 100 Meg connection to most towers. Some daisy chain via microwave where that kind of connection was not available. As each tower is upgraded they switch out the entire network equipment, 2.5g, 3g, add 4g, and add voice/text on the 800mhz band. LTE will be added to 800mhz next year. There will be a lot of LTE capacity since every tower is getting it unlike the other carriers. So less people will be on each LTE sector.

Still nothing here. Ericsson is falling behind bad. Almost a 2 month delay here.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)