Sprint to begin selling the iphone 4 as well as iphone 5

It wont take that long.. Android already admits they're not worried about Apple it's Microsoft and with Nokia getting back in the game plus all the other manufactures that make WP7 devices. I think some have no clue... :)

Really? Yep, some have no clue. MS is not winning in this area. I suppose they might one day pour enough money and effort in to do so, but they sure haven't yet. They were late to the game on the internet, and they have never shown much smarts with cell phones.

If the iPhone 5's screen is bigger (as all reports of it say it will be), I am seriously considering getting one this fall. I no longer care about "custom roms" - my Droid X is as close to stock as possible; yet, it is not a particularly reliable device. Spontaneous reboots every couple weeks; does not manage memory particularly well.

I've had SD cards get corrupted and lost photos as a result. I used to think external memory cards were important, but the reality is I don't need to store my life on my phone. If I want a document, I grab it on my iPad. I have Spotify for music when I want it, and an iPod classic is where I keep my 45GB music library, not my phone.

My iPad has never hiccuped once in 6 months. the thing is a rock. And because I have a iPad, I really don't care about the bulk of the stuff on the phone. So, I will look at the iPhone. I am pretty much living in Apple's ecosystem now, between the mbp and the iPad, so the iPhone would just be an extension of that.

Add to that, my experience with iPhone apps on the iPad -- of programs that have Android apps -- in almos every single case, the iOS app is better developed, and has more features than the Android one. Look at Facebook for iOS v Android; Foursquare for Facebook v android; NYTimes; and on and on. The only question I have is whether I can get used to the keyboard; the one thing I never liked about iOS.

If I can get a good deal from Sprint, I'll consider switching to them - particularly if I can get out of my Verizon contract fairly cheaply. It would enable everybody in the house to make the switch; and there would be several happy family members if that happened.

If the iPhone 5's screen is bigger (as all reports of it say it will be), I am seriously considering getting one this fall. I no longer care about "custom roms" - my Droid X is as close to stock as possible; yet, it is not a particularly reliable device. Spontaneous reboots every couple weeks; does not manage memory particularly well.

I've had SD cards get corrupted and lost photos as a result. I used to think external memory cards were important, but the reality is I don't need to store my life on my phone. If I want a document, I grab it on my iPad. I have Spotify for music when I want it, and an iPod classic is where I keep my 45GB music library, not my phone.

My iPad has never hiccuped once in 6 months. the thing is a rock. And because I have a iPad, I really don't care about the bulk of the stuff on the phone. So, I will look at the iPhone. I am pretty much living in Apple's ecosystem now, between the mbp and the iPad, so the iPhone would just be an extension of that.

Add to that, my experience with iPhone apps on the iPad -- of programs that have Android apps -- in almos every single case, the iOS app is better developed, and has more features than the Android one. Look at Facebook for iOS v Android; Foursquare for Facebook v android; NYTimes; and on and on. The only question I have is whether I can get used to the keyboard; the one thing I never liked about iOS.

If I can get a good deal from Sprint, I'll consider switching to them - particularly if I can get out of my Verizon contract fairly cheaply. It would enable everybody in the house to make the switch; and there would be several happy family members if that happened.

:eek::eek::eek::eek:

:D

I more or less feel the same way. I havent loaded a custom rom in quite some time, and if and when the Iphone becomes an option without having to swap carriers, I would consider it.

:eek::eek::eek::eek:

:D

I more or less feel the same way. I havent loaded a custom rom in quite some time, and if and when the Iphone becomes an option without having to swap carriers, I would consider it.

I loaded a custom rom of gingerbread (basically stock) so the stupid update thing would go away - since I knew it would not load given I was rooted -- and its been fine, until this week when I started getting new update pop-ups, now twice a day. Annoying.

I just want my phone to be functional and do its core functions of calls, texts, email, and pda functions well. Don't care about any of the rest.

THE one thing I would miss, however, is the ability to use MightyText; I sent al my texts through my browser on my computer and it works extremely well (indeed, much better than when you tested it Todd; speed increases by 5X; but it requires an Android phone to work.

MS is not winning in this area. I suppose they might one day pour enough money and effort in to do so....
That's the thread that Poke is hanging onto !! MS knows the mobile market will be huge and they want to become a player in it (note I said 'become', not 'remain'). They will pour tons and tons of money into their efforts too !!

That's the thread that Poke is hanging onto !! MS knows the mobile market will be huge and they want to become a player in it (note I said 'become', not 'remain'). They will pour tons and tons of money into their efforts too !!

But isn't it just too little, too late; even if they dump millions, how many people want to have "Windows" on their phone? Isn't the problem that while people use and like Windows, they suffer through enough problems that its hard to get them excited to have a Start button on their phone. I think Microsoft's problem, beyond being late to the game, is an image one.

Too funny...more "My Phone is better than your Crappy Phone" discussion. Regardless, adding the iPhone seems like a good move for Sprint. After all, who wouldn't want more phone choices when evaluating a provider? My HTV EVO is only a year old so I will be looking to replace it in another 3-4 years. I may as well get my month's worth, and there is no need to replace what is arguably still the best smartphone on the market. To be honest, if Sprint switches over to LTE (from Wimax) I could always reactivate my old WinMobile HTC Moguls sitting in the box. Yeah, not quite "high tech" but phone and umlimited data is hard to beat at $30 per month.

rockymtnhigh said:
But isn't it just too little, too late; even if they dump millions, how many people want to have "Windows" on their phone? Isn't the problem that while people use and like Windows, they suffer through enough problems that its hard to get them excited to have a Start button on their phone. I think Microsoft's problem, beyond being late to the game, is an image one.

Exactly. The chickens have come home to roost. A BSD on a phone is on everybody's mind when Windows and Phone are mentioned together.

Besides, MS could spend a billion and come up with another Microsoft Bob.

...how many people want to have "Windows" on their phone? Isn't the problem that while people use and like Windows, they suffer through enough problems...
I had a former co-worker get a Windows phone a couple of years ago and he asked me about installing anti-virus and anti-malware software on it :D

Just checked Verizon's site for their smartphones... It's neither here nor there if you like VZW, have VZW, etc. Fact is, they're the biggest or 2nd biggest wireless provider, at least in the US. They offer .... (1) Windows Mobile phone.

Was at a meeting with a sprint executive today; he says his phone has been ringing non-stop. He said October 14th is what he expects to be the "magic" day. :)

Hall said:
Just checked Verizon's site for their smartphones... It's neither here nor there if you like VZW, have VZW, etc. Fact is, they're the biggest or 2nd biggest wireless provider, at least in the US. They offer .... (1) Windows Mobile phone.

And their customers know they can get an iPhone. And many are waiting for iPhone Next.

I just thought of something. Assuming the iPhone 5 is 4G-capable, would Sprint's version contain a Wi-Max chip or would it still be just LTE only?

Rumor still is that there will not be any 4G in the iPhone (not counting AT&T claim of 3G being 4G). But, the current rumor is that it will have both CDMA and GSM (VZ iphone chipset could do GSM it it had an antenna) antennas in it and a single phone for all carriers.

mike123abc said:
Rumor still is that there will not be any 4G in the iPhone (not counting AT&T claim of 3G being 4G). But, the current rumor is that it will have both CDMA and GSM (VZ iphone chipset could do GSM it it had an antenna) antennas in it and a single phone for all carriers.

If the iPhone 5 is not going to be 4G-capable, then Apple is practically going to give away its smartphone lead to Android. Then investors are going to sell Apple's stock and blame it on the fact that Steve Jobs is no longer CEO (he resigned today in case you didn't know). I know that doesn't make much sense but the investors on Wall street don't think about the long term and some of the decisions they make never make any sense.

Sent from my iPod touch using SatelliteGuys

I don't think 4G will have any impact on the success of the iPhone 4. We are talking about Apple, and the faithful are ready for a new phone. Most don't care (or really know the difference between 3G and 4G).

If the iPhone 5 is not going to be 4G-capable, then Apple is practically going to give away its smartphone lead to Android. Then investors are going to sell Apple's stock and blame it on the fact that Steve Jobs is no longer CEO (he resigned today in case you didn't know). I know that doesn't make much sense but the investors on Wall street don't think about the long term and some of the decisions they make never make any sense.

Sent from my iPod touch using SatelliteGuys

Which would sell more:

1. A 3G iPhone 5 with lets say 10 hour talk, 400 hours standby (assuming they get the specs a bit better than iphone 4)?
2. A 4G iPhone with 3.5 hours talk and 100 hours standby because of the drain of the 4G radio?

Most people think the iPhone 4 is 4G anyways. Plus how much could people really tell 4G vs 3G on an iphone? If they do not have the backhaul at the tower to provide the full 3G speed, how are they going to have the backhaul to provide any faster 4G?

AT&T is pretty correct that a full HSPA+ probably works as well as the current LTE. T-Mobile is rolling out 42mbit 3G, AT&T will be close behind. If you are not tethering to a laptop I doubt people really will ever notice the difference. The main difference in the long run will be more people able to be handled by the tower, not much in the individual speeds on the phones.

Essentially I would say battery life is far more important to customers than top download speed. And download speed is not going to get any faster without improved backhaul (which they are doing to get LTE out but 3G will finally get the backhaul it has needed all along).

I would get rid of my EVO for an iPhone 5. And moving to an iPhone 5 would save me money as I wouldnt have to pay for 4G anymore which is great since I dont use it... everywhere I try it I barely get a signal and it eats the battery like crazy.

You do realize that Sprint tacked on the $10 to ALL smart phone plans. Doesn't matter if is supports 4G or not. Of course, unless you've been grandfathered in.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)