ST/SF HD Mpeg4 Games

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Please reply by conversation.

raymo721

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Mar 26, 2005
Front Range, Colorado
Just recieved a flyer in the mail from D*s Senior Director, Customer Loyalty about my ST/SF sub. Talks about how I'm getting it cheaper bla, bla. On the back in small print at the bottom it says, "To access DIRECTV HD programming , a five LNB Multi-Satellite dish, along with an H20 DIRECTV HD Reciever and HD televison equiptment is required." Does this mean HD games will be in Mpeg4? Can't see that happening with all of us with the HR10-250 STILL waiting for the Mpeg4 HD DVR. This is the first time I've seen this in print from D*. Any other thoughts on this??--Ray

It could be the case, this is not the first time someone noticed this- the rsns they will be adding in hd the rest of this year will be in mpeg 4. And of course they already have the rights to show fox and cbs in mpeg 4 in many cities.

If you care at all about hd though, you should have planned on upgrading before september anyway, unless you can never watch live tv. Supposedly that is about when the mpeg 4 dvr will be out, but I wouldn't hold my breath. I have no doubt directv would broadcast the games in mpeg 4 even without the dvr though.

Last edited:
I think the concensus is that you need the H20/AT9 to receive local HD broadcasts of games that are blacked out on ST.

Example: You live in a city with HD LIL. The local FOX station is showing the Cowboys/Redskins, so it is not available to you via ST due to it being on your local network. Since D* is providing HD LIL, in theory you should be able to receive the game on your local FOX HD channel via D*.

raymo721 said:
Just recieved a flyer in the mail from D*s Senior Director, Customer Loyalty about my ST/SF sub. Talks about how I'm getting it cheaper bla, bla. On the back in small print at the bottom it says, "To access DIRECTV HD programming , a five LNB Multi-Satellite dish, along with an H20 DIRECTV HD Reciever and HD televison equiptment is required." Does this mean HD games will be in Mpeg4? Can't see that happening with all of us with the HR10-250 STILL waiting for the Mpeg4 HD DVR. This is the first time I've seen this in print from D*. Any other thoughts on this??--Ray

This years Sunday Ticket will be available in MPEG2 at the very least, possibly in MPEG4 as well.

The best prices mentioned so far have been $ 209 ST and SF for free, so if you paid 209 for the ST you got the best price out there.
The SF appears to be at D*'s disgression, if you had ST and SF last year, most are getting the SF for free this year

Jimbo

It was my understandng that current HD DVR owners would be contacted for the swapout. I get HD OTA so the blackouts aren't an issue. Would D* force me to get an AT9 AND an H20 and then the Mpeg4 HD DVR? I thought everything was to be swaped at once. Was hoping the "Slimline" dish would be out soon cause I don't think an installer would want to put an AT9 where my 3LNB dish is. Its at the peak of a 3 story Apt. building on the facia board. The "Slimline" would be more practical in that location. I guess its to much to hope for that the release of the HD DVR would be at the same time as the "Slimline."LOL Guess I'll just have to wait and see. I am getting the deal Jimbo mentioned though, and I hope he's right about the games in Mpeg2 also. Tks for everyones input.---Ray

herdfan said:
I think the concensus is that you need the H20/AT9 to receive local HD broadcasts of games that are blacked out on ST.

Example: You live in a city with HD LIL. The local FOX station is showing the Cowboys/Redskins, so it is not available to you via ST due to it being on your local network. Since D* is providing HD LIL, in theory you should be able to receive the game on your local FOX HD channel via D*.

I thought that the blackouts are now a thing of the past as far as ST is concerned. We shall see.

Don

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)