ST3618 3688 upgrade. Just did it.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

ken2400

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Sep 4, 2004
Central NY State
Well once I figured out how to follow the instructions and what power button they were talking about, in the back not the standby one, I upgraded my ST3618 to at ST3688. I like it so far.

It appears to work and them menus are MUCH better. Will have to fowell up after I play with it some more.

MUCH better menus then the 3618. If fixed some problems like

I can scan for open channels only.
I can get all 6 lang on the Dish election channel.
Can del all scammbled channels.

Still don't know how to manual enter on channel and PID?

You may have problems as the 3688 remote has a few extra buttons you may need, but I am glad its working out for you so far, you are the first person I know who has ever got round to trying this :clap , thanks for all the updates! The 3688 software is certainly a lot better than the 3618, I still like these receivers A LOT!

Let me know how it works over a long time period. I toyed with the idea of upgrading to a 3688, but talked myself out of it. The main reason was the remote thing that PSB talked about. If this works out well, let me know. I did do the latest 3618 upgrade but I see no difference. :yes

I am getting ready to update my 3168 to the newest version. I have found that it takes what seems to be a long time to blind scan a satellite, up to 30 minutes per polarity on my BUD. Hopefully the newer version will help this out. One thing i have to ask tho, after i update the software, will i have to rescan in everything i have already done?
Thanks,
Thomas

I bought the 3816 off E-bay and it did not come with a remote so I bought a 3688 remote knowing I would update it sometime. I could use the 3618 with the 3688 remote the only thing was some of the buttons were different than the labels. Now they all match up.

I still can not figure out how to manual enter a channel once I know its PID?
Also it takes some time to figure out how the 3688 runs. Once you do it fine.

PSB said:
You may have problems as the 3688 remote has a few extra buttons you may need, but I am glad its working out for you so far, you are the first person I know who has ever got round to trying this :clap , thanks for all the updates! The 3688 software is certainly a lot better than the 3618, I still like these receivers A LOT!

drhydro said:
I am getting ready to update my 3618 to the newest version. I have found that it takes what seems to be a long time to blind scan a satellite, up to 30 minutes per polarity on my BUD. Hopefully the newer version will help this out. One thing i have to ask tho, after i update the software, will i have to rescan in everything i have already done?

If it's the DMSI/USA upgrade dated 5/4/04, I did it and didn't see much difference. And yes, you will have to re enter everything, so make notes of the stuff you have because it is easier to manually enter them than to set and do re scans.

I have found that if you have the 3618 slaved through another receiver, this is the quickest way to blind scan:

1. Set your receiver on a horizontal transponder
2. Set up the 3618 on the blind scan and set the polarity to horizontal then
scan
3. Set your receiver on a vertical transponder
4. Follow step 2, only change the 3618 to vertical

I have found that by scanning them sperate cut my scan time down from about 30 minutes to about 5 to 7 minutes for each polarity. Also if you leave the 3618 on Hor/Vert and don't change the main receiver, the 3618 will scan twice because it does not know which polarity to scan. That is the reason it takes so long.

Good luck.

Thanks for the reply Jim, that is what i have been doing and it still takes about 30 minutes per polarity <sigh>

drhydro said:
Thanks for the reply Jim, that is what i have been doing and it still takes about 30 minutes per polarity <sigh>

Your welcome. I really didn't know what kind of equipment you had or what you were doing so I thought I'd take a shot in the dark. I am going to update
the 3618 to a 3688. I was going to do it last year, but nobody knew if you could get a 3688 remote so I balked. Now that Ken has supplied the information to get one all systems are go.

Ordered the 3688 remote this evening, should be here in 3 to 5 days.

Well, tonight's the night. As soon as my "computer genius" buddy from across the street gets off work, we are going to upgrade the ole 3618 to a 3688. I have done a lot of research (which is unusual for me) on this, so everything should go smooth, I hope.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)