STAB HH-120 Thoughts

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Please reply by conversation.

iBoston

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Jul 15, 2014
North Central
Well, i have had the STAB HH-120 for about one year. In that time, i had to reset the position of 30w to 31.7 degrees and 125w to 124 to obtain those channels at the end of the arcs. The point being that there is so much play in the swivel now, i have to make that tweak to reliably get those birds in.

Has anyone repaired these things to remove the play??? If so, how?

I will state that we do get pretty windy here at times, and I'm sure that has aided in the speedier demise, but still it seems that one year is still a horrible lifespan, even with our wind.

Well, i have had the STAB HH-120 for about one year. In that time, i had to reset the position of 30w to 31.7 degrees and 125w to 124 to obtain those channels at the end of the arcs. The point being that there is so much play in the swivel now, i have to make that tweak to reliably get those birds in.

I will state that we do get pretty windy here at times, and I'm sure that has aided in the speedier demise, but still it seems that one year is still a horrible lifespan, even with our wind.
These used to have a two year warranty but I believe it's down to only a year now. If you are still under that year try contacting the seller or the manufacturer to see if they will do anything. :)

These used to have a two year warranty but I believe it's down to only a year now. If you are still under that year try contacting the seller or the manufacturer to see if they will do anything. :)

It's over a year by a couple months. I may try and take the thing apart, but if i do, it won't be until middle summer. I have too many other projects in hand.

It's over a year by a couple months. I may try and take the thing apart, but if i do, it won't be until middle summer. I have too many other projects in hand.
Seems like the quality of everything is going downhill. Hopefully you can figure out a solution. Good luck!

Reactions: iBoston
Have you tried changing the latitude in the receiver? Here I use an Azbox to push a 1.2 meter dish. I entered a higher latitude which seems to give a longer stroke to the motor. Before it was always coming up short of where I needed it to be. You will need to try different values till you find what works for your location. Anyways that worked for me hope it helps.

Have you tried changing the latitude in the receiver? Here I use an Azbox to push a 1.2 meter dish. I entered a higher latitude which seems to give a longer stroke to the motor. Before it was always coming up short of where I needed it to be. You will need to try different values till you find what works for your location. Anyways that worked for me hope it helps.

I would like to try that too, how much more latitude did you give it, compared to your original latitude? :)

iBoston you're not alone. I too along with many others here in North America have experienced this play in the HH120's. The HH120 is built different than the SG2100's so there is no adjustment for endplay. I'm not even sure the play IS endplay. I've never figured out exactly where the play comes from. I had a 6 year old HH120 that I took apart to try and figure out what was wrong. I couldn't find anything wrong with it and after I put it back together the play was gone so I never did figure out where the play was. Not to my knowledge has anyone here in North America found out the true reason for this play in the HH120's. Or if they have they haven't posted on any of the sat forums I've read. Maybe someone in Europe knows? The HH90 is similar in mechanical design to the hh120 so I'm not sure if they experience the same play over time. The play in the HH120 & the inability of the SG2100 series to handle a 1.2m dish is why I've given up completely on these small Diseq H-H motors for ku offset dishes. They are just too frustrating over time. I have gone to mounting a Channel Master 1.2m dish on an old 6 foot mesh dish polar mount that is modified to handle the extra downtilt needed to cope with the offset dish design. you see less of the arc this way but it's more sturdy and reliable.

Reactions: iBoston
iBoston you're not alone. I too along with many others here in North America have experienced this play in the HH120's. The HH120 is built different than the SG2100's so there is no adjustment for endplay. I'm not even sure the play IS endplay. I've never figured out exactly where the play comes from. I had a 6 year old HH120 that I took apart to try and figure out what was wrong. I couldn't find anything wrong with it and after I put it back together the play was gone so I never did figure out where the play was. Not to my knowledge has anyone here in North America found out the true reason for this play in the HH120's. Or if they have they haven't posted on any of the sat forums I've read. Maybe someone in Europe knows? The HH90 is similar in mechanical design to the hh120 so I'm not sure if they experience the same play over time. The play in the HH120 & the inability of the SG2100 series to handle a 1.2m dish is why I've given up completely on these small Diseq H-H motors for ku offset dishes. They are just too frustrating over time. I have gone to mounting a Channel Master 1.2m dish on an old 6 foot mesh dish polar mount that is modified to handle the extra downtilt needed to cope with the offset dish design. you see less of the arc this way but it's more sturdy and reliable.
Correction: It seems Cham may have found a solution to the play. see post #5 in this thread http://www.satelliteguys.us/xen/threads/re-tuned-one-of-my-kus-and-stab-back-forth-play.349465/#pos

Reactions: iBoston and KE4EST
I would like to try that too, how much more latitude did you give it, compared to your original latitude? :)
I believe I changed it about 15 deg. over what it should have been. My motor had slop in it from the start but there's not much to choose from in h to h motors when moving something as big as a 1.2 meter dish. I started out using it with a 1 meter dish. I think it was on there about a year before putting on the bigger dish. The worst thing now is the slow speed but I knew about that before buying it. I guess that's the only way they can get them to last moving the heavier dishes.

I believe I changed it about 15 deg. over what it should have been. My motor had slop in it from the start but there's not much to choose from in h to h motors.

Yeah, I knew of the motor slop before buying mine from Amazon. I'm still trying to get mine aligned since first putting it up, I'm always one or two degrees off. I'm going to try again next week during my vacation to get it lined up. Would be nice to have a slate of some kind on 85W C-Band, my true south satellite; can't even have a slate on 85W Ku anymore as its gone now too. :-(

I will attempt to find this adjustment screw. If not, ill take it apart. I will post follow up. Believe it or not, woke up to about 1 inch of newly fallen snow this morning.. Yikes!

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts