Stab HH90 and Foretec 36" install help.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Technojunky

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Sep 3, 2005
Jensen Beach, FL
My old motor took a dump after Wilma. I bought a Stab90 this time, and it is an awesom improvement over that other junky motor I bought.

I was following the installation guide for Forec Star and USALS and I am a bit confused about angles.

The motor angle I got from the diagram in the book, and I read that as approx 41. Then I noticed that it said Dish Elevation.

I am confused, so let me just ask this?

There is an angle of the motor, and dish elevation. Which of these is set to 41? Zip is 34957

Once I set the motor to 41, I can't adjust the dish to get enough elevation. The highest point I can reach is zero. So with the motor at 41, and the dish at zero, I can see that it is not correct.

Is there anyway someone can tell me what the motor elevation, and dish elevation is supposed to be by my zip and knowing that I have a Stab HH90 motor?

I am going to read it again to see if I can find the error in my ways. Hopefully I will get thsi done today. The last motor must have been an accident for me to get working.

Thanks to all that help..

I tossed the book aside and went to the net. It appears that the dish is kept at zero degrees and the motor is set to 25 degrees. This gave me several satellites so far. I can't help to think that AMC-3 should have been stronger on a 36" dish and a .3 lnb. I can get it as high as 45 quality. I will have to find a way to fine tune the dish a little better. Little movements do not always alter the signal the way I expect.

One thing I learned from this is, don't waste your money on anything but a Stab motor. It is far superior to the SM3D12. Fast, durable, powerful, and has metal gears. The arm that attaches to the dish can be removed, attached to the dish, then attached to the motor by one person, easily. The sensors used to position the motor will not change over time, they are not micro switchs. The SM3D12 I took apart had very cheap micro switches, one of which broke and came loose from its glue when the plastic gear broke. Stab uses a Hall effect device that does not wear, so they are as accurate as the day you install it for the life of the motor. The Hall effect switch is not mechanical and has no moving parts.
--------------------------

Technojunky said:
I can't help to think that AMC-3 should have been stronger on a 36" dish and a .3 lnb. I can get it as high as 45 quality. I will have to find a way to fine tune the dish a little better. Little movements do not always alter the signal the way I expect.
The s.q. for the PBS channels on amc3 has been sproradic lately, sometimes high, sometimes low. Right now i am getting a s.q of around 60% off of my fixed 40 x 30 p*, last night it was in the mid forties.

As I was reading threads in the Sadoun forum, I noticed that the offset of the dish has to be taken into consideration when installing the sytem.
When I used the calculator on the Sadoun web site, it said that if I use a HH90, my dish elevation is 40.7. but nowhere does that page refer to the offset of the particular dish being used. My dish, a Fortec FC90, says that the offset is 24.62 degrees.
So, even though I know that some satellites are working, although not that good, I know that all that I have read says that my motor is set to the latitude according the a map that is in the back of the book. That agrees with the Sadoun calculation of 40.7, although I came up with 40.5 elsewhere.
My motor is now set to roughly 27 degrees. I say roughly because I peaked it by signal after I got it in the neighborhood.

So with my motor set to 27 degree's, it does not agree with the instructions, so no matter how well it works, it is not correct. This explains whyu some satellites do not get received at all.

If my pipe is plumb, and the known offset of my dish is 24.62 degrees, and my heading is at AMC-5 79 degrees from Lat 27.2 log 80.2, somoen must be able to quote the proper motor elevation, and dish elevation.

I also learned the when there is a motor involved, there is no skew of the lnb.

So we are only talking about the motor, and the dish.

The confusion might come from terminology. The Sadoun page calculates Dish elevation for the HH90 as 40.7, yet I though we were setting the motor elevation to 40.7. The note says that for ANY motor model, motor elevation is ALWAYS set to EQUAL my latitude value. My latitude value is 27.2. If I try to explain this by taking the offset of the dish into consideration, it does not add up. So where am I going wrong?

Thanks to all that help in this, I hope to return the favor at some point. Joe

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts