Stab HH90 lost it's bearings.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

bpalone

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Apr 1, 2014
44N 105W
Apparently last fall my Stab HH90 lost track of where Zero was. Knew something wasn't right then, but was getting everything I wanted so let it go. Last Saturday went out to peak it and WOW everything was wonky. Got to it yesterday and found that it was setting up for Zero about 8 degrees west of Zero. I could not find or figure out a way to get it to reset properly. Is there a way?

I went ahead and just changed over to Disque 1.2 (not sure I spelled that right). Was a large pain in the portion of the body we all sit upon. Especially when the operator makes a big boo boo and sets one satellite wrong, i.e. 87W is listed as 85W. Thankfully, was caught right after it happened.

Thanks.

The STAB motors require external commands to reset. STAB manufactures a programming device (MP02), but it shouldn't be necessary to buy if you have a compatible receiver, USB / PCIE DVBS/S2 tuner. Most receivers have the ability to drive to the saved reference position. I would verify that the "00" reference position has been corrupted by using your receiver's USALS motor installation menu screen to "Drive to Reference". If using a USB / PCIe DVBS tuner, EBSpro has a "GoTo Ref. Posit." or issue raw DiSEqC code E0 30 6B 00. Does the motor return to the correct "00" mechanical position or is it still 8 degrees off AZ reference?

Some receivers have had the ability to send the reset code (example: Fortec Star Lifetime Ultra and Pansat 1500). If you have a USB or PCIe DVBS tuner, the DiSEqC controller applications often allows the sending of a reset or raw DiSEqC commands. The EBSpro software can be used to send the raw reset code E0 00 00 or E0 30 00 with the unit parked at the "00" position.

EBSpro_DiSEqC.jpg

Thanks Brian!! As usual a wealth of information. Will try to get it reset later, it is working OK now as a 1.2 setup and have to find software to do the job. I left the Windows treadmill several years ago.

Thanks for the link Fat Air!

Reactions: Titanium
I have a MicroHD running this dish and had used the goto reference. That is where I found it was about 8 degree off. I tried the short method for setting the positions as a 1.2 device and it even blew that. Only tried it on one satellite, but it was enough off that I didn't want any more. So, spent lots of time setting each satellite. Does remember where they are, so far.

Reactions: Titanium
When sending the motor to "0" reference, does the pointer on the motor housing actually not line up with the "0" mark?

As a temp fix can you not add/subtract 8? to the sat position in the sat list?

When sending the motor to "0" reference, does the pointer on the motor housing actually not line up with the "0" mark?

As a temp fix can you not add/subtract 8? to the sat position in the sat list?

That is where I found it was about 8 degrees off to the west. The pointer was setting right at 8 degrees +/- to the right of zero, as from the back facing the satellites. At that point, decided to just go with a 1.2 setup. Things weren't tracking as should be, since I had been setting my due south bird off by 8 degrees.

I am not sure about adjusting satellite locations. If I remember before I do a reset as per Brian's instructions above, I will do a test. Will be a while,as everything is working fine now. So, no real reason to fix it at this moment.

The only other thing that comes to mind is that the hall effect sensor inside the motor has come loose. That is what happened with mine causing it not to go to "0". Some loctite on the screws and re tightened and working fine.

Reactions: KE4EST and Titanium
My instance is that it simply lost track of where zero is. It remembers where it was set and returns there, so I am guessing that the count circuit is fine, otherwise it would have issues returning to set points. My guess is that either some software used or tried with USB receivers sent a bad command or two, or had a power fluctuation during a move operation that corrupted things.

Since it is working fine as a 1.2 and I have all the sats set, I will probably let it go for a while as, I have other projects to get done. When I do mess with it, I will try to remember to try adjusting sat location or receiver location.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 6)

Latest posts