Stab motors

Status
Please reply by conversation.

turbosat

SatelliteGuys Master
Original poster
Dec 26, 2006
Oneonta,AL
Anybody using a Stab brand positioner? Nothing in the reviews on any model of them. They're a bit more expensive, but I think I am going to try one out, on this .90primestar, just curious for any opinions. These "2100"named motors seem to have mixed reviews, unexpected failures, etc.

I have a Stab HH90 on a 31" Alphastar dish. Never had any troubles with it. I've seen the Stab HH120 up close, and it looks like a nice strong unit, but for the 31" dish, the HH90 was big enough for me. For the .90 Primestar, I'd almost be tempted to get the HH120 which is good for a 1.2 metre dish. The HH90 is for a 90 cm dish, and you'd have it maxed out. The Primestar dish might even weigh enough to cause the HH90 to be underpowered.

Hh90

I've had an HH90 (or is it the HH120? I'm cheap, it's probably the HH90) for a couple of years with a 90cm Fortec dish. No problems, solid performance w/Pansat-Fortec STB, solid feel. One STB+Disecq got zapped by a powerline backlash (ah!, the joys of country life!), but the HH90 was unaffected--probably because the STB absorbed the shock before anything could get to the R6 cable.

I'll stick with the same brand next time.

Turbosat, I've been using a Stab HH 120 Motor for about 10 months now with a Fortec Star 1 meter Dish on the Roof and the motor and Dish have survived 2 severe wind storms and are both working well.

I have have a STAB hh90, which performs flawlessly, but failed last winter after about 8 months service. It was replaced by FortecSTar promptly under warranty, and the replacement is still performing flawlessly. It's a great USALS motor, but stay in its weight range. It's tiny compared to my Moteck SG-2100 . 5 year warranty on these babies, so save your receipt and buy from a reputable dealer. My email receipt from Sadoun was good enough for warranty purposes.

:)

Thanks guys, Stab has a "hh100" job now, that should be plenty big enough for this 39x36 primestar, once I rig a mount and lose some of the weight of the existing mount.

These "2100"named motors seem to have mixed reviews, unexpected failures, etc.

Unfortunately there is a HUGE rash of "plagiarized" clone 2100 units.
I would not recommend them because of the rampant clone units out there.
I bought a complete system from SurplusComputers.com and I'm still not sure if my 2100 motor is legit.

Anybody using a Stab brand positioner?
Nothing in the reviews on any model of them.
Oh, quite right - no review.
I guess it was this company propaganda that convinced me to get one:
http://64.78.51.244/download/HH90TEST.pdf
Whether or how true it is, you decide.

But I did see favorable reviews on our forum for Fortec 36" vs smaller dishes, and SNH-031 vs other LNBs.
Probably a safe package, all around.

Hi:

I have a Stab hh120 motor hooked to one of those old Starchoice dishes. It moves very slowly. Also it slips a bit when it goes east of my true south position so I cannot get my eastern satellites. I expect the dish is just too heavy for the motor.

cheers
Bryce

I have a Stab HH90 on a Fortec 80cm dish and have never had any problems with it. And I have a Stab HH120 on a Fortec 1.2m dish and it is very slow compared to the HH90. When I haven't moved it in a while and left it down low, for my 84 degree location (such as IA7 in the west or Hispasat in the east), I have had to go and give it a little push. That don't happen often, but it has happened. Sometimes it won't stop correctly going from IA7 to G10, I have to go past G10 and come back to get it to stop in the right place. I'm used to it, so I don't consider it a problem. And, like I said it don't happen often. When I use it regularly and/or once it gets going, it works fine. These problems don't usually happen unless it's been a while, so I try to remember to leave it parked on a sat closer to home. Also both of my Stab's are supporting the extra weight of the Invacom QPH031, which I'm sure is a contributer to the HH120 problems?

Al

I read some of the specs, the hh100 says up to 100cm (39") which is the size of the dish I plan to put it on, so it should be ok. Or not. I will find out and write about it ,hehe. Since I don't own one single motor like it, it's time I try one out. My dishes are either c-band on their own motor, or my 1m primestar on a polar mount that I rigged, with a linear actuator on it, which is still working great. Just that it won't always stop in the same place, crummy superjack isn't that accurate on ku.

I got the HH120 with the 39" mounted on it for about a year now, and i've never had a problem so far! I got the bigger motor so i could add a bigger dish to it if i wanted to :D

Been using an HH100 with my Primestar 84E for about 6 months. Shimmed up the mast with a piece of PVC pipe - works great!

Attachments

• Satellite%20Pics%20003.jpg
    Satellite%20Pics%20003.jpg
    851.7 KB · Views: 237
  • Satellite%20Pics%20004.jpg
    Satellite%20Pics%20004.jpg
    963.5 KB · Views: 192
  • Satellite%20Pics%20006.jpg
    Satellite%20Pics%20006.jpg
    869.4 KB · Views: 213
I have a HH90 with a 1m Winegard and Invacom Quad. (top dish in avatar) It has been working fine now for quite some time. I do not motor too much anymore as it is almost kept on G10R. When changing satellites the speed of the motor will depend on if you are switching to a horizontal or vertical channel, as the voltage is different. The only problem that I did have with the motor, is when I relocated it, with all the tightening and loosening of the U clamp nuts, they welded themselves to the bolts. I had to cut the nuts off, put some spacers in and replace the nuts. Of course this time I used some anti-sieze compund to prevent that in the future. The problem arises from using stainless steel bolts and nuts, tightening and lossening the nuts causes heat to build up untill they weld themselves together. A little compound on the bolts would of prevented this and makes it easier to remove them in the future, be it 2 years or 10 years from now.

Anybody using a Stab brand positioner? Nothing in the reviews on any model of them. They're a bit more expensive, but I think I am going to try one out, on this .90primestar, just curious for any opinions. These "2100"named motors seem to have mixed reviews, unexpected failures, etc.

I have a HH100 & have uses it for a few years . Works fine .

Wyr

The only problem that I did have with the motor, is when I relocated it, with all the tightening and loosening of the U clamp nuts, they welded themselves to the bolts. I had to cut the nuts off, put some spacers in and replace the nuts. Of course this time I used some anti-sieze compund to prevent that in the future. The problem arises from using stainless steel bolts and nuts, tightening and lossening the nuts causes heat to build up untill they weld themselves together. A little compound on the bolts would of prevented this and makes it easier to remove them in the future, be it 2 years or 10 years from now.
Thanks for the tip, I will try that when I install the second SG-2100/3ABN dish in a couple of weeks when I get back from New York. I have seen that the SG-2100s are now shipping with improved hardware that eliminates the stripping/breaking U-bolt problem. I wish I could obtain this new hardware...

I should ask about the new hardware. The motor I have installed now is mounted with modified hardware--I drilled the holes out on both the motor bracket and clamps so they would accept 3/8" hardware which is available from Ace. On my planned second motorized dish, however, I'll have to use the original hardware since the 3/8" U-bolt won't clamp to a Superdish pole.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts