STABed in the back by an HH90

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Katrinasucks

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Oct 11, 2005
GRRRR I swore I would do my whole install without asking for help. I didn't get very far. I'm hoping some of you old timers have an easy solution to this problem because all the ones I've thought of are a pain.

The pic attached should be basically self explanatory. If it isn't, that's a STAB HH90 tube that won't let me change the elevation on the dish past 20 degrees. (and I need to get to 40 for my lat)

So far, I figure I can A) Get a new Dish. B) Move to the North Pole C) Fab something I would really prefer not to.

Anyone got a better idea?

[In fairness it is not the HH90 fault but it made a good subject.]

Attachments

• badstab1.jpg
    badstab1.jpg
    29.6 KB · Views: 270
I don't have the HH-90, but it looks like you may have to mount the dish higher on the shaft. I know that's a pain, since there is a place for the bolt to go through the shaft where you have it :(

You have a Winegard 76CM! Didn't know that...

I should have put that in the original post. I can't do it. By the time I move it up the shaft enough the hole to mount the tube on the motor is covered....

And even moving it that much I'm not sure it would get me to 40.

Yikes.... I dunno. The SG-2100 only requires an elevation of 25 (30 minus the declination for New Orleans, 4.9 so roughly 5). The Winegard unfortunately has that LNBF arm in the way. Hate to say it, but you might have to use either a different dish or a different motor.

EDIT: Just saw Change's post. You could try that, but you'll need an angle finder to set your elevation. They're pretty cheap, $10 at Lowe's and its a tool we all should have anyway...

Change said:
Can you flip the mount on the back of the dish upside-down?

Yeah I can... but it is vertically symmetrical. :mad: I'd have the same problem.

The North Pole is looking better and better.

Last edited:
You could try removing the dish from the clamp bracket. (remove the one bolt that goes through the centre of the stab shaft and the other two bolts that have the adjustment scale. Leave the clamp bracket on the stab arm. Put the long bolt that goes through the centre of the stab shaft back through the clamp only, and not through the part attached to the dish. Put the other two bolts through the round holes and not the slotted holes. This is now the pivot point of the dish and you now only need to fabricate a way to hold the dish at the correct elevation. If this gives you adequate adjustment. Also, if you turn the bolt at the left edge centre of the picture over, it will give you slightly more adjustment as well. Just see the bolt that hits the stab arm when you move the dish elevation. The head of the bolt will be thinner than the nut and bolt protruding out of the nut. You will have to fabricate something though.

Naw- Upon further review it is "Game Over Dude."

Even if I get the dish at the right elevation, it is touching the motor at the top. As soon as it moved, I'd rip the whole thing up. Without major surgery, this dish and this motor ain't going to marry.

Any guesses if the SG-2100 would have this problem? At this point, I'll just buy a new motor. grrrr

EDIT: That's what you get for saving a buck. I was going to order the SG-2100 but my vendor had the HH90 CONSIDERABLY cheaper. Since it is usually more expensive, I bought it. A little googling tells me that (confirmed) the Stab HH90 DOES NOT work with the Winegard 76cm but the SG-2100 does. That's why they call it experience.

Last edited:
Yea I ran into the same problem you did. On the bright side I know Stab is working on fixing the problem but sucks for people who have already invested the money.

Katrinasucks, I can confirm without a doubt that the SG-2100 WILL indeed work on a Winegard 76cm dish, as that was my setup until after Katrina.

I use 2 SG210's on my Winegard and Hotdish. Both work fine (but then I'm closer to the North Pole then KS & Tron are) :)

On roxsat.biz, it listed the Stab HH90:
"ONLY WORKS WITH U-BOLT CLAMP TYPE DISH, NOT ABLE TO WORK WITH WINEGARD DISH."

The HH90 is a good heavy duty motor. If you can not exchange it, you can always try to fabricate a mount. Have a look at the attached diagram. (pretty poor picture, but can see what it is) Just use a fairly heavy gauge metal for it does not bend, and use tubing where the mount mates with the original mount. This will stiffen it up.
The part on the lower corner of the diagram would be u shaped clamps to go over the bolts on the mount. Like used on muffler clamps.

Attachments

• mount.JPG
    mount.JPG
    9.1 KB · Views: 208
Last edited:
Larry1 said:
The HH90 is a good heavy duty motor. If you can not exchange it, you can always try to fabricate a mount. Have a look at the attached diagram. (pretty poor picture, but can see what it is) Just use a fairly heavy gauge metal for it does not bend, and use tubing where the mount mates with the original mount. This will stiffen it up.
The part on the lower corner of the diagram would be u shaped clamps to go over the bolts on the mount. Like used on muffler clamps.

So I take it you are NOT a draftman for a living. ;-) Actually that would work. I'll figure something out this weekend. Might be cheaper and easier in the log run to just buy another motor. - Just annoying a heck. But thanks.

Last edited:
Katrinasucks said:
GRRRR I swore I would do my whole install without asking for help. I didn't get very far. I'm hoping some of you old timers have an easy solution to this problem because all the ones I've thought of are a pain.
The pic attached should be basically self explanatory. If it isn't, that's a STAB HH90 tube that won't let me change the elevation on the dish past 20 degrees. (and I need to get to 40 for my lat)
So far, I figure I can A) Get a new Dish. B) Move to the North Pole C) Fab something I would really prefer not to.
Anyone got a better idea?
[In fairness it is not the HH90 fault but it made a good subject.]
I had the same problem. Wound up getting a new dish with a bracket which extended out away from the dish a bit further in order to get the desired elevation above 20 degrees. I was attempting to use the winegard DS 2076 and now it sits on the floor next to me. New dish cost less then $70 with free shipping. I wanted to use the STAB's USALS technology which the SG2100 doesn't have I was told.

This may seem stupid but are you certain you have the dish mounted correctly on the tube? Have you tried mounting your tube to the motor first and see how much angle it gives you. then mount the dish. most tubes and motor mounts provide quite a bit of angle. maybe 20 - 40 degrees.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts