Stacking diseqc Switches

wvman

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Lifetime Supporter
Sep 19, 2014
N. Central WV
Right now I am running 8 dishes, 5 BUDS and 3 Ku Band dishes. My 8 way switch is full, but I am thinking of adding one or two more dishes to the mix. I have access to a 12 foot Paraclipse and a 12 footer of an unknown brand.

Both are in excellent condition and I was wondering if there are switches out there with more than 8 ports and if not, what's the best way to go about adding these dishes to my collection? Also, are there any FTA UHD channels available. I know NASA had at least one, but looking off into space in UHD isn't too appealing.

Reactions: c-spand
Right now I am running 8 dishes, 5 BUDS and 3 Ku Band dishes. My 8 way switch is full, but I am thinking of adding one or two more dishes to the mix. I have access to a 12 foot Paraclipse and a 12 footer of an unknown brand.

Both are in excellent condition and I was wondering if there are switches out there with more than 8 ports and if not, what's the best way to go about adding these dishes to my collection? Also, are there any FTA UHD channels available. I know NASA had at least one, but looking off into space in UHD isn't too appealing.
You can just connect a 4 way diseq to add to your system. Someone here should know how to do it.

You can just connect a 4 way diseq to add to your system. Someone here should know how to do it.
It seems to me that I saw a 16 port switch once, but doing a search didn't produce anything and I don't remember where or when I saw it.

I'm a little foggy on how to add an extra switch to the mix, so I figured someone in here has done it before. Never know if you don't ask.

EMP Centauri makes a 16x1 switch, though I don't know where you can get one around here (North America).

You can also add 4x1 to your 8x1 (cascading switches) using the committed/uncommitted protocol (as long as your receiver can do the protocol).

Or you can use 22KHz switches to add additional ports (as long as you do not have Universal LNBFs, they have to have the port all to themselves).

My current system for my AZBox uses a 4x1, a 8x1, and 22KHz switches to look at 15 satellites. At one time (before we lost a whole bunch of satellites) I had it maxed out at 22 satellites.

I am using a diseqc 1.0 4-port behind port1 of a 1.1 switch. Here is what works and didn't work for me:

Pansat 1.1 Switch, any 1.0 switch and no 1.2 positionner signal : worked only on port 1 of the 1.1 switch, so was limited to adding just one 1.0 switch

Geosatpro 1.1 switch and any 1.0 switch and no 1.2 positionner signal : worked fine on any port of the 1.1 switch, so in theory should be able to handle 8 1.0 switches, providing a total of 32 effective ports

Nowadays, I have added an ASC-1 so am using 1.2 protocal and i'm back at having only the port 1 of the GSP 1.1 switch able to properly drive the 1.0 switch. Not sure why.

I might try to experiment with it again

see this thread for additional details:

EMP Centauri makes a 16x1 switch, though I don't know where you can get one around here (North America).

You can also add 4x1 to your 8x1 (cascading switches) using the committed/uncommitted protocol (as long as your receiver can do the protocol).

Or you can use 22KHz switches to add additional ports (as long as you do not have Universal LNBFs, they have to have the port all to themselves).

My current system for my AZBox uses a 4x1, a 8x1, and 22KHz switches to look at 15 satellites. At one time (before we lost a whole bunch of satellites) I had it maxed out at 22 satellites.
You can get them sometimes on Ebay

I actually own the EMP Centauri. I also run Diseqc 1.1 and inline Diseqc 1.0 and 22Khz with the multi switches. They all work great. I have never had a 22Khz go out on me, but i have lost switches, hopefully i won't loose the Centauri and that it will last, as it was priced higher. Time will tell on that.

I actually own the EMP Centauri. I also run Diseqc 1.1 and inline Diseqc 1.0 and 22Khz with the multi switches. They all work great. I have never had a 22Khz go out on me, but i have lost switches, hopefully i won't loose the Centauri and that it will last, as it was priced higher. Time will tell on that.
My EMP Centauri 8x1 I have had for 15 years without any problems, great switches. I also have had other switches fail (sometimes due to line faults, for example a coax came away from connector causing a short and killed the port, and cascaded to all ports failure on 4x1) and have had 22KHz switch failures, probably due to manufacturer defects rather than possible undiagnosed line faults.

Reactions: iBoston and c-spand
What I have found in using these switches the switch you used the most to switch in and out doesn't last no where near as a switch you rarely use and make sure you weather protect it good.

Te salut. Am nevoie de niste sfaturi . Am antena toroidala t 90. 13 sat, fix 13 lnb. Nu pot asocia cele 2 diseq, una 10x1. și 8x1. receptor ip boxtwo. pe ipbox are setarile 1.1 si 1.0....1.0 si 1.1. dar nu stiu sa fac setari.

TRANSLATION (by DeepL):
I salute you. I need some advice. I have toroidal antenna t 90. 13 sat, fixed 13 lnb. I can't pair the 2 diseq, one 10x1. and 8x1. boxtwo ip receiver. on ipbox has settings 1.1 and 1.0....1.0 and 1.1. but I don't know how to make settings.

Hi celbun . Welcome to the forum!
Can you post in (american) english, please? That's the language we're using here.

The receiver settings should 'follow' the mode, that the switches use.
8/1 and 10/1 switches can often be set at different diseqc modes: pure 1.1, combination 1.1+1.0, or 1.2, for instance.
So you'd have to check which type of switches you have, and what mode they are using/set to.
It's impossible for us to guess that correctly.

You do have a "AB IPBox Two Combo 4K UHD Android 8.0 Combo IP-receiver" maybe, do I understand that correctly?

Greetz,
A33

Reactions: celbun
unnamed.jpg

Attachments

• 1262191172_max.jpg
    1262191172_max.jpg
    86.9 KB · Views: 16
DS81 is a pure diseqc 1.1 switch, as far as I know.

I don't know the brand and type number of the other switch.

If both are diseqc 1.1, they cannot be stacked, as they switch on the same commands.
You'd need a diseqc 1.1 UC4 switch to switch between two 8/1 diseqc 1./1 switches.
Another simple (cheaper!) solution would be to have a 4/1 (or 2/1) diseqc1.0 switch, to switch between two 8/1 diseqc 1./1 switches.

Maybe you can set the other switch to diseqc 1.2 mode; then you could stack them.

One 8/1 1.1 switch and two 4/1 1.0 switches would also give 14 switching possibilities. That would be my first line for a 13 LNB setup.

Greetz,
A33