Stalled "Integrity Check"

sawmill

Original poster
Dec 22, 2010
KY
Turning TV on late at night (about 2:00 a.m.), an "integrity check" message appears saying not to turn off the receiver, and that the test can take up to 10 minutes. Several weeks ago, this test actually took 34 min., and is now up to 75 minutes. Any ideas of what's going on, please? Thanks.

Your hard drive is shot. Looks like you need a new receiver.

Not necessarily. Having EHDs hooked up can significantly slow down the "System Integrity Check" which is another way of saying fsck which is another way of saying HDD verification. As long as "Fail FS Count" remains at "0" in the counters (Blue button - tests - view counters) then everything is peachy.

As a matter of fact, I was just talking about this at "the other forum" the other day.

Hopper requiring reset - DBSTalk.Com

Ahh, I didn't read the OP thoroughly. If it's the normal daily update, then nevermind. I had assumed this check happened randomly while watching TV. Without fail, on 625's and 722's, if this integrity check came up randomly, I had to replace the receiver for a failed hard drive.

I'd heed halo's advice before replacing. If you're a night owl and watch a lot of TV around the 2 or 3am hour then I would change the update timing to sometime when you're not watching TV.

Unfortunately, from what I've read here, there is no way to change the update time (1:00am) on the Hopper. You can only delay it, if you are watching when it tries to initiate.

Unfortunately, from what I've read here, there is no way to change the update time (1:00am) on the Hopper. You can only delay it, if you are watching when it tries to initiate.

That is correct (currently.) Seems like I read somewhere that they were indicating that they intend to eventually allow us to set a time. The only way currently to prevent the long checks is to unplug EHDs before the update.

OP : The "View Counters" test shows "Fsck: 1 : 5/07 3:38am".

What is "Fsck"? Does it refer to my EHD or the receiver's hard drive?

Thanks.

P.S. - The "Fail FS Count" is 0.

Last edited:
sawmill said:
OP : The "View Counters" test shows "Fsck: 1 : 5/07 3:38am".

What is "Fsck"? Does it refer to my EHD or the receiver's hard drive?

Thanks.

File System ChecK.

It is scanning the file system for errors... Ehd=More scanning.

Not necessarily. Having EHDs hooked up can significantly slow down the "System Integrity Check" which is another way of saying fsck which is another way of saying HDD verification. As long as "Fail FS Count" remains at "0" in the counters (Blue button - tests - view counters) then everything is peachy.

As a matter of fact, I was just talking about this at "the other forum" the other day.

Hopper requiring reset - DBSTalk.Com
Thanks, been wondering why its been takeing so long for that to do it. Now my Fail FS count is 0. Does any on know what is Failed Unmount count is? Mine was 3, wonder if anything is bad about that?

In the world of Linux (which is what Hopper runs) a failed umount indicates that a disk drive failed to unmount during the shutdown/reboot process. It is usually caused by an application that is hanging on shutdown. Shutting down without properly unmounting has a (small) chance of losing data. Since the Hopper has no way for the average user to manage the underlying applications then there is no way to diagnose it. I wouldn't worry about it as simply unplugging the receiver creates a greater risk of data loss and even then it's pretty rare.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)