Status
Please reply by conversation.

PATONENOW

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Jan 21, 2006
central WISCONSIN
TiVo may test giving away boxes: CEO 1 hour, 1 minute ago

NEW YORK (Reuters) - TiVo Inc. (Nasdaq:TIVO - news), the television recording technology company that is facing increasing competition, on Monday said it is considering giving away TiVo set-top boxes as part of plans to win subscribers.

Chief Executive Tom Rogers said the company, whose name has become synonymous with the ability to pause live television and skip commercials, was close to offering a range of pricing options, including one plan that would include a free set-top box.

"We're continuing to pursue the prospects of zero upfront and all upfront" pricing, Rogers told the Reuters Global Technology, Media and Telecoms Summit in New York.

The company is likely to begin the test to offer free boxes, possibly in exchange for higher priced and longer term plans, fairly soon, said Rogers, who was named chief executive last July.

TiVo currently serves about 4 million subscribers, including about a two-thirds from partner DirecTV Group Inc. (NYSE:DTV - news). It is under pressure from Wall Street to expand its customer base as DirecTV is readying its own digital video recorders.

TiVo also faces competition from far bigger cable and satellite TV providers and consumer electronics makers, all of whom are offering rival digital video recorders to consumers. Many of the devices are more powerful than TiVo's and are offered at lower prices -- sometimes for free.

The company says its service, which costs most users about $13 a month, is superior, thanks to options such as a system that is easy for consumers to use.

They will maore than make up the cost with the contract they will make you sign. No way, with everyone dumping TIVO in favor of their own DVRs, will TIVO even still be around?

I saw some ads on television where this was already being done by one of their sellers. They were charging a higher monthly fee though.

If Tivo can offer some advantages then they will win some of the market (maybe even win some of the existing DVR users over).

Here is what I think is needed to win over some people:

> Multiple tuners capable of receiving content from several receivers/sources at the same time. This would serve as a server for the whole house. This would also save on having to purchase multiple Tivo's, multiple fees per month, and/or multiple lifetime subscriptions.

> Multiple hard drives including the ability to add an external hard drive for extra content (will be very important for multiple tuners and HD).

> UHF remote capability. This will be important for the multiple tuners because one box would handle several rooms. It would be like a server to share the recordings throughout the house.

> Offer hardware upgrades to the customers from time to time. There can be different subscription levels based upon getting an upgrade every x number of years if someone keeps their contract or a small fee when upgrade time happens or a combination of both. If the subscriber quits their contract or quits before upgrade time happens then they do not get the deal or have to pay a higher fee to upgrade or continue the contract the rest of the way through.

> Offer IPTV service. They could have the option to offer a subscription of their own by having content available or a pay per view basis only it gets left on the DVR when your done watching it or only on it for a specified amount of time. They could even offer the unit full of shows or movies of your choice for an additional fee.

I've got a Microsoft Media Center that does HD, remote recording and has a monthly fee of .....$0. I love Tivo but cant see getting stand alone units that dont do HD. That Series 3 unit is 1 year overdue.

PATONENOW said:
The company says its service, which costs most users about $13 a month, is superior, thanks to options such as a system that is easy for consumers to use.

For $13.00 a month vs $5.99 a month for DirecTv's version, I will use the D* version. That looks like a no-brainier. Not worth that much a month for a couple of extra bells and whistles.

Also, will the stand alone TIVO control the on/off features of the D* IRD, or do you have to program both the TIVO and the D* IRD, to make a single recording?

lou_do said:
Also, will the stand alone TIVO control the on/off features of the D* IRD, or do you have to program both the TIVO and the D* IRD, to make a single recording?

I have a Directtv tivo but have a second SA tivo(with lifetime) I have that I had before I got Directtv and it works great with Directtv. The SA controls the directtv receiver.

Brewer4 said:
I've got a Microsoft Media Center that does HD, remote recording and has a monthly fee of .....$0. I love Tivo but cant see getting stand alone units that dont do HD. That Series 3 unit is 1 year overdue.

Or you could pay less for a Tivo with Lifetime subscription and a monthly fee of $0that is much more user friendly. If you are into PCs, that's a great route but the vast majority of people don't want to do that. I agree with you about the HD part. I guess we'll see how and when that Series 3 turns out. I bet it's going to be $$$. Maybe your PC will cost less than that one!;)

shappyss said:
It will probably be free with lifetime subsription. I got my stand alone tivo like this when they had a promotion.
I am looking at the info on www.tivo.com right now.The free DVR is a refurb,40 Hour Series 2 DVR.The requirements that I see is that you have to pre-pay for 12 months of TiVo service for $155.40 at the time of TiVo box purchase.It also states that service must be activated by March 31,2006.An additional fee of $150.00 may be charged to the credit card that was used for purchase of the DVR if TiVo service is not activated by March 31,2006.Total cost of 12 month service ($155.40) can be applied towards service upgrade to TiVo product lifetime service ($299.00) at time of activation.Those eligible for the "multi-service discount" (applies to additional boxes registered to same account) will receive 23 months of TiVo service at $6.95 per month instead of 12 months at $12.95 per month.Offer only available through tivo.com.Cannot be combined with other offers.30 day money-back guarantee.Free shipping.This offer is valid only on new TiVo service subscription activations.Re-activation of previously active TiVo service accounts are not eligible for this offer.It goes on to say that they reserve the rights to substitute a box of equal or greater value and terminate this promotion at any time,for any reason.Offer valid in USA only.Credit card required to activate the service.Limited warranty of 90 days free labor/one year parts exchange included with this offer.

Last edited:
Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts