Status
Please reply by conversation.

Stevemo

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Jun 28, 2012
Canada
Hi all,
Is there a good stand-off bracket that will hold a 1.2m dish, a stab hh120, and 8' of 1 1/4" galvanized water pipe? I'd probably want to stick some sort of omni-directional TV antenna on the top as well.

I want to put the dish on the North gable end of my house since the house peak runs North/South. I've been thinking about using unistrut but noticed a Focus-18 (BEST-1018) antenna mount that basically achieves the same thing with an 18" stand-off but I'm not sure if it would be strong enough so I'm curious about hearing from somebody who has already done this.

The final option would be to cut a hole in my roof and soffit to avoid the standoff but I'm not prepared to do that.

Thanks, Steve

I would suggest you look at the ham radio masts and hardware. I have used them before on a couple of occasions and they are very heavy steel brackets with lag bolts at the facia.

Two thoughts

- the dish & motor will be a challenge to adjust up there
- I'd double check that pipe size; think you need bigger for the motor

TRRunner, HAM is hard to track down around here, I met some club members during the summer but I don't even know where to start to find parts. I may get two of the mounts I mentioned and double them up for extra strength.

Anole, good point on the pipe size, I have an HH90 at the moment and 1 1/4" works nice with it but the HH120 looks like it's calling for 1" bigger.

This project will be a pain due to the location but I can only get 72W to 123W at my current dish location which is only 10 feet off the ground. Getting the 2nd dish 30' up on the roof will hopefully open up the rest of the KU band to me but I won't even be able to access the dish for 5 months of the year since the roof is 12/12 and we get snow. :D

Steve

A 1.2M dish develops quite a wind load! I would not consider anything smaller than 2 3/8" mast for a motor and 1.2M dish.

Personally, I would set 3" schedule 40 post in the ground with cement then transition to a sleeved 2.5" schedule 40. Anchor the post with stand off brackets at the gable peak and again near the upper third of the pole.

Status
Please reply by conversation.