Standard Definition TV on KRNS Reno

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Neil Linden

Original poster
Mar 3, 2017
Reno, NV
Is there any way to determine when - if ever - DirecTV plans to upgrade the local CW channel 46 to High Definition. I cannot seem to get an answer from either the TV station or DirecTV.

First, DirecTV does not announce this in advance so you won't know until it happens. Second, DirecTV is already using an "HD satellite" to deliver the channel so I assume the issue is at the station. As far as I know, the HD version of the channel is transmitted at low power and it may not be strong enough to deliver decent HD quality at the DirecTV Receive Facility. That would mean I guess either the channel has to go full power (I'm not sure their license allows for that) or they would need to deliver the signal via cable/fiber to DirecTV. They might not be willing to spend the money to do that.

Over a year ago someone at DirecTV mentioned something about the problem being needing more "room" on their HD satellite - if that even makes any sense. I am surprised at the delay since the CW seems to be getting pretty popular. I understand that Dish TV - at least in this area - is also NOT supporting HD on channel 46 if that fact is of any relevance. Thanks for the info, I can catch all the shows in HD eventually on Hulu or the network streaming - I just hate all the commercials.

It may be there isn't enough bandwidth on the HD satellite, but I suspect the station low power issue might be more relevant, particularly since Dish isn't delivering HD either.

Here is what Wikipedia says about the station:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/KRNS-CD
Apparently the low power signal is in hd, and in sd on a higher powered subchannel. That's probably why it's in sd since it would seem they aren't providing the hd signal to Directv or Dish. Sounds like it's the stations fault.

Yes, I saw the same thing. If DirecTV is receiving the signal through an off-air receiver at the local receive facility, it's quite possible the HD signal is too weak at that location.

Yes, I saw the same thing. If DirecTV is receiving the signal through an off-air receiver at the local receive facility, it's quite possible the HD signal is too weak at that location.
Most likely the case as well as DirecTV may not have a contractual agreement to carry the station in HD. DirecTV can not carry something they don't have the rights for.

I sent them a letter, and a rep for KRNS called me. They have been pushing for DirecTV to go HD with their content for years. She said it's all about priorities with DirecTV and in no way is there any technical issue.
For some reason, the cost of upgrading the signal for DirecTV is just not a priority as this time.

Well, sort of. I checked the transponder allocations for Reno and it looks like DirecTV does not have enough bandwdth on the transponder delivering HD locals to add another 1080i channel..So unless they can find bandwidth on another transponder covering the whole Reno DMA (not just a part of it) it's probably not going to happen.
It's interesting that Dish does not have it in HD either.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts