Standard record quality on HR24NC HD DVR

Status
Please reply by conversation.

fightfan

SatelliteGuys Guru
Original poster
Jul 31, 2010
Parts unknown
400 hours of recording space at standard quality.

Tivo has best quality, High Quality, Medium Quality and Basic Quality.

If you were to compare standard quality on the HR24NC HD DVR to the 4 qualities tivo offers which quality would it be? Best, High, Medium, or Basic?

400 hours of recording space at standard quality.

Tivo has best quality, High Quality, Medium Quality and Basic Quality.

If you were to compare standard quality on the HR24NC HD DVR to the 4 qualities tivo offers which quality would it be? Best, High, Medium, or Basic?

Quality for recordings is native to thier broadcasts with the exception of the MPEG4 compression which squeezes more recording time. I'm not sure about all Tivo's but the Directivo's were MPEG2 so there is some bandwidth/quality lost with MPEG4. Recorded estimates doubled with MPEG4 so to be fair to Tivo, my WAG would be high-quality is the highest resolution you'll see with MPEG4. OTA would be best-quality.

The drive size is 500GB. 400 hours for 480i and 100 HD (not sure that includes 1080p). eSata drives can be plugNplay but only replace the internal drive as long as it's in place. So you can increase the hours of record time if needed. The sad part is that the eSata drive recordings are encrypted to the RID and Smart card. So all programming is lost if DVR is replaced whether the HDD is internal or external.

Thanks for the reply, Armchair!

Reason why on tivo there was the quality setting was because tivo had to re-encode the tv show to record ( talking about non Directv-tivos ) And they still do.

Satellite DVRs be it Dish networks or Directv's do need to re-encode or re-compress the video it already in its container which in this case is Mpeg4 for hd and mpeg 2 for sd.

So you can equate it to bestest because you not loosing any quality from the original source like you are with standalone dvr.

Reason why on tivo there was the quality setting was because tivo had to re-encode the tv show to record ( talking about non Directv-tivos ) And they still do.
Not to nitpick, but that's only true for analog sources. To record to the hard drive Tivo needs the video in a digital format, so for analog cable it would need to encode the video to digital in the box.

TivoHD also has no quality setting when recording from digital cable or from broadcast over-the-air stations that are now all digital because it just takes all of the digital bits coming in for the channel and writes them directly to the hard drive. The recorded video is 100% bit-wise identical to watching it live.

Not to nitpick, but that's only true for analog sources. To record to the hard drive Tivo needs the video in a digital format, so for analog cable it would need to encode the video to digital in the box.

TivoHD also has no quality setting when recording from digital cable or from broadcast over-the-air stations that are now all digital because it just takes all of the digital bits coming in for the channel and writes them directly to the hard drive. The recorded video is 100% bit-wise identical to watching it live.

But still through analog meaning the setting is still there.

I owned a tivo HD it was so horrible I got rid of it. And I am a big tivo person.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)