Star Choice Questions

bwaldron

SatelliteGuys Guru
Original poster
Aug 18, 2004
Brandon, FL
I used to own an ExpressVu system until last August when they moved some transponders to a new bird whose footprint doesn't reach me here in Florida (Tampa area). Now that the NHL is back, I'm looking into installing Star Choice. I am looking at purchasing a 315 receiver from Phillipe at kuSat (I don't have/need HD). I don't need broker info, as I used Cathy at TVM with ExpressVu and will do so again for *Choice. I do have a few questions, though:

Which will get me the strongest signal, the 75cm elliptical dish from Star Choice or the 30" Winegard DS2076 round dish (with DMS ASC321 Spitfire Single Ku LNBF) that PSB offers?

If I go with the Winegard dish, can anyone confirm that it uses the 1-5/8" mast size that, for instance, my 18" DirecTV dish mount uses? If not, what is the mast size on the Winegard?

If I go with the 75cm elliptical dish, is the mast size 2" or 2-3/8" (I have seen conflicting information on this).

Would one of the dishes be an easier install than the other? Do I need a signal meter, or can I do it via "eyeballing" as I have with previous DirecTV and ExpressVu installs?

Thanks!

Bill
Brandon, Florida

I am unsure on the difference between signal for the DS2076 and the 75E, however, the DS2076 does use a 1 5/8" mount, and the 75E uses a 2 3/8" mount.

The Starchoice 60E uses a 1 5/8", however that dish will most likely be too small for a decent signal that far south..

Another thing of note, I believe that the NFL Sunday Ticket is on Anik F2 this year, so if you go for the single dish solution, it will not be able to get this programming (if you are so inclined to get it)

I would highly recommend a signal meter.. FSS dishes are significantly more sensitive to direction then DSS birds such as DTV, BEV, or Dish.. Since *C uses standard lnbs (22khz for satellite selection only), a normal SF-95 style meter (which is the same as is included with the *C Signal Meter Kit) will work perfectly.

Honestly, if you are going to buy the reciever from Kusat.. the dish is only a little more expensive than the reciever alone ($25USD for the 75E upgrade) plus shipping, which would be less expensive than buying a dish and lnb seperately.

Thanks, ultatryon. I'm leaning towards just getting the 75E...since, as you note, the cost above a receiver-only purchase is minimal. In fact, I may go ahead and get the DSR-500 HD receiver even though I don't (yet) have a HD display. The Sunday Ticket pricing is attractive on StarChoice, but I already have it on our 2 DirecTivos here and likely won't change that this year.

Thanks for confirming the 2 3/8" mast, that will make it easy to get a mounting pole set up.

Guess I will go ahead and pick up a SF-95 style signal meter as well...I'm all for making things easier :)

Bill you should use the 75E elliptical dish in Florida...it will work better ...and will get both satellites in the event you need both..that is if you want to watch HD tv. Otherwise a 36 inch dish will work for you on anik F1 which is 197 on the compass . I use to sell Starchoice and it is the only system that you can call the company legally in the U.S. I agree with ultatryon that nfl sunday ticket will be on F2... but there are so many out there with old round dishes that I think they will have to accommodate everybody .
If you get the dish and are not sure of the setting ...this site should help you out..{it won't let me post the site ..pm me and I will send it to you }l remember when moving the dish...move slow....wait a few seconds ...the *c signal is a little slow on jumping up. Above all make sure when you put together you follow the instruction booklet.... that is very important.

Bill, I'm just south of you here in Cape Coral. I also had Evu and canceled when the season washed out last year, as well as the missing channels. I was looking to go with *C, but, unlike you, I needed HD. Evu has TSN and CBC in HD, which *C has no definitive plans to add at this time. So even with the missing channels (and most I couldn't care less about; the only ones really for me are Sportsnet West/East and Leafs TV) the HD bird more than makes up for the missing ones.

And HNIC is in HD this year. So depending on how soon you will get an HD display, it is something to keep in mind.

bwaldron said:
Which will get me the strongest signal, the 75cm elliptical dish from Star Choice or the 30" Winegard DS2076 round dish (with DMS ASC321 Spitfire Single Ku LNBF) that PSB offers?
they cover the same area so they work the same. I have tried both a 75e and the 30" dish...same results
If I go with the Winegard dish, can anyone confirm that it uses the 1-5/8" mast size that, for instance, my 18" DirecTV dish mount uses? If not, what is the mast size on the Winegard?
winegard uses 1 5/8
If I go with the 75cm elliptical dish, is the mast size 2" or 2-3/8" (I have seen conflicting information on this).
2"
Would one of the dishes be an easier install than the other? Do I need a signal meter, or can I do it via "eyeballing" as I have with previous DirecTV and ExpressVu installs?
since the 30" would aim just at one satellite, that would be the easiest since you dont have to deal with multiple birds. But the 75e is easy to install :)

Iceberg said:

According to the Channel Master datasheet, the 75E has a "Sturdy pole mount uses 2 3/8 in. diameter mast.", unless the *C 75E is custom made with a different mount?

Yeah, as I originally mentioned I have heard both sizes. Someone mentioned to me in a PM that it is indeed the case that Star Choice decided to use a smaller mast size when commissioning Channel Master to build the antennas for them.

So it appears that 2" is the correct size (at least currently) for the 75E being delivered by Star Choice. Hey, if Iceberg says so I gotta believe it ;)

I know that you can use a chain link fence post for a 2-3/8" mast. What are you folks who pole-mount dishes with a 2" mast using for a pole? I have only done wall-mounts in the past, except for a BUD long ago. Speaking of which, I do have a sturdy and stable 3.5" pole in the ground remaining from an old BUD system that I had to take down after almost 20 years due to wind damage. I'm pondering some way to use that to mount the Star Choice dish.

ultatryon said:
According to the Channel Master datasheet, the 75E has a "Sturdy pole mount uses 2 3/8 in. diameter mast.", unless the *C 75E is custom made with a different mount?

Either way, the 75E will come with a mount, so its all good ;)

If you are looking to pole mount, I know my local home depot has 1 5/8", 2", and 2 3/8" fence pole.. I just bought a 6 foot length of 2 3/8" for a 1.2m dish install at my mothers house (microbud, here I come)

Edit: forgot the most important part.. all of the 6 foot poles were less than $7, I think the 2 3/8" was $6 and change

I had to take down an BEV system I had installed a few years ago last Winter in Stuart, Florida which worked very well until they changed the footprint. I've been asked to install a new system in November so they can receive RobtTV. I've been looking at a DSR315 from futureshop, they don't watch HD.

Will the stock eliptical dish work as far as Stuart, it's maybe 100-150 miles South of Tampa and on the East coast? I have a sat finder and am comfortable installing dishes, but is there anything else I should be aware of?

Thanks for your help.

(I didn't mean to hijack this thread, I didn't want to open a whole new post)

That far south, you will need the 75E dish. I would order the hardware from KuSat, the 75E dish is only $20 more or so.

Will I need to upgrade the cabling running from the satellite to the tv? The cabling in the walls now is RG59. The dish will be mounted outside near the TV, basically on the other side of the wall, so it's probably a 30 foot run. Wouldn't be too difficult to install RG6, just a pain to crawl around in the attic. Also, where can I get the coordinates for pointing the dish? Thank you for all the great help.

I found the coordinates at kusat using their calculator. There are also angles listed at global-cm. Some slight discrepancies, is one better than another?

Use Mike Kohl's numbers (Global). If it is elliptical dish point it at F2. You could get away with 30 ft RG59 with a stacked dish no problem (multiswitch is external), nonstacked dishes are more sensitive. I would give it a try with the RG59, but if you have a signal issues install the RG6.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts