Star Trek: Picard

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
For cryin' out loud...pretty soon I'll have to pay $15/month for each program I want to watch that I feel might be worth watching! I simply won't do it...

I know, it's ridiculous isn't it. Netflix for Lost in Space, Amazon for The Expanse, Hulu for The Orville, CBS for Star Trek.

And all of this separate from the existing TV bill we pay every month.

Reactions: SandFarmer
I know, it's ridiculous isn't it. Netflix for Lost in Space, Amazon for The Expanse, Hulu for The Orville, CBS for Star Trek.

And people will jump in and say, its cheaper than Cable/Sat ...
Eventually it won't be.

Just use a VPN and watch it on Netflix

Not that difficult folks.

And as a bonus it's available in HDR unlike CBS All Access's garbage quality

It's getting to the point where us cord cutters will be paying as much for streaming as we did back when we had cable.

Nobody is forcing you to watch these shows. It's no different than when highly rated popular shows are exclusive to HBO, Showtime, or Starz and require $10-$15/mo. subscription on top of what you already pay for your TV service. Who has time to watch everything anyway? Choose your favorites, sub for a month, relax, and enjoy.

Nobody is forcing you to watch these shows. It's no different than when highly rated popular shows are exclusive to HBO, Showtime, or Starz and require $10-$15/mo. subscription on top of what you already pay for your TV service. Who has time to watch everything anyway? Choose your favorites, sub for a month, relax, and enjoy.
Its Football season, where do I have to go to get my College and Pro football weekly .... reliably so I can record it as well ?

It's getting to the point where us cord cutters will be paying as much for streaming as we did back when we had cable.

Gee, I wish I had predicted that.

Oh, that's right, I did, as did everybody who studied the issue. A la carte is anti-consumer. Period.

If you remember when the government broke up "the phone company" there was a period where a POTS (AKA landline) phone was still the only thing, but you could pick your long distance company. A smart consumer would just play one against the other, switching everytime they offered something.

The same thing is the future, particularly for the non-sports fan MAJORITY. Hulu/DIsney on special for a month or two, dump it for Netflix on special for a month or two, CBSAA, etc etc. By the time you work your way back around, the services will have been refreshed with new binge-able products.

A la carte is anti-consumer. Period.

If you remember when the government broke up "the phone company" there was a period where a POTS (AKA landline) phone was still the only thing, but you could pick your long distance company.

I very strongly disagree with that statement. Most of us don't care to have the lowest cost/channel; rather we care what we pay in total. And let's go with your long distance comparison. How much do you pay for long distance these days?

The easy answer is "nothing". The correct answer is that the economic model has changed and there really is not such a thing anymore. And more importantly, the model did not change overnight, but over a fairly long transition period. And we are currently in a transition between the "cable" model of "everybody" paying a few cents per channel to a much more a la carte model, where only those interested will pay. Right now the "cord cutters" are enjoying a temporary time in that transition. When its done, anybody who thinks that Big Media won't get its money is fooling themselves. Anybody who does not understand that a la carte means far less material even being made, much less any one person being able to afford even 10% of it, has not been paying attention.

Its Football season, where do I have to go to get my College and Pro football weekly .... reliably so I can record it as well ?
Any of the streaming services that offer the channels you watch now. Most of the streamers have the main sports channels covered. The ESPN/SEC/Big10 and such.

And most of the offer some variation of a DVR that would work to record the games.

Its really pretty easy to keep watching sports like I did with a traditional provider.

I dont see why we would, unless they vastly change the terms of subscribing to these services. That the prices will go up is a given, but so will cable, and I dont see streaming catching cable anytime soon, if ever.

For me, I will sub to whatever catches my interest at the time, watch it, then move on to another service if it offers something that I want to watch. If one did subscribe to every service, then yeah, that could get pricey, but I dont know why one would do that. Or I know I wouldnt at least.

I'm not sure what this has to do with subscribing to a service like CBS All Access for a month to watch a new Star Trek series, but I'm sure your local cable company, DirecTV, Dish Network, YouTube TV, Hulu Live TV, Sling, PS Vue, or Fubo TV would be happy to hook you up.

EDIT: Oops. I see that msmith198025 already provided an answer.

I think traditional pay TV providers created a powerful sense of FOMO. By gradually adding channels to their systems over a period of four decades and promoting all the channels they carried with taglines like "You'll never miss a thing!" the TV viewing public developed this sense that they have to have access to every channel and show out there or they'll simply miss out on whatever the week's watercooler discussions happen to be about. But just like you'll never read every book in every genre released in a given month (even if you never watch TV), you'll never be able to watch even the most popular shows across the all the linear channels available in any given month.

That was the biggest reason I dropped cable: I simply couldn't justify spending $125-$150/mo. to have access to hundreds of channels I never watched. A service like YTTV, while not perfect, brings me closer to that core group of 20-30 channels "I can't live without," while giving me extra to dough to throw at an occasional month of HBO, Netflix, Hulu, etc. to catch up on the shows that particularly appeal to me.