Star Trek: Picard

Now, take that 50k and multiply it by the monthly sub fee (or yearly if you prefer)...roughly $2.5m (low end)...just from the 50k subs wanting Legacy. Not exactly an insignificant number. Granted, a 10-episode season is likely easily 10x that amount, but still, it has to make people at P+ think that if Academy gets a tepid reception, Legacy might get some serious thought...

Reactions: osu1991
I have a feeling Academy is gonna go over like Discovery with the long time fans. They have more asking for Legacy now than they had for Strange New Worlds before it was announced.
They have been trying to do a Starfleet Academy type thing since the Original Cast Movies, this is what was attempted before, thankfully it did not happen-

It was a ill-advised idea then, just as it is a senseless idea now.

Reactions: long_time_DNC
They have been trying to do a Starfleet Academy type thing since the Original Cast Movies, this is what was attempted before, thankfully it did not happen-

It was a ill-advised idea then, just as it is a senseless idea now.
Well, that's a bit of the 2009 Abrams S.T. movie right there. Just read that article you posted, under the "PREMISE" section.

Well, that's a bit of the 2009 Abrams S.T. movie right there. Just read that article you posted, under the "PREMISE" section.
I know, at the bottom of the article-The 2009 film Star Trek, written by Roberto Orci and Alex Kurtzman, superficially borrowed the same basic premise of Bennett's film by returning the franchise to the Academy years of the original crew, how they first met, and how they first came aboard the USS Enterprise.

Now, take that 50k and multiply it by the monthly sub fee (or yearly if you prefer)...roughly $2.5m (low end)...just from the 50k subs wanting Legacy1.
$2.5 million is also four decimal places fraction of the overall subscription fees collected. It doesn't matter what units you count, it still won't be a particularly representative sample.

Now, take that 50k and multiply it by the monthly sub fee (or yearly if you prefer)...roughly $2.5m (low end)...just from the 50k subs wanting Legacy. Not exactly an insignificant number. Granted, a 10-episode season is likely easily 10x that amount, but still, it has to make people at P+ think that if Academy gets a tepid reception, Legacy might get some serious thought...
More then that, Discovery’s budget was $8 million per episode back in 2017, I am guessing about $12-15 million now.

A Variety cover story on the latest Star Trek franchise revealed just how much each episode of the series costs to make — between $8 and $8.5 million, making the show one of the most expensive in television history.

More then that, Discovery’s budget was $8 million per episode back in 2017, I am guessing about $12-15 million now.
Probably why they lose so much money.

ST is one of the legs upon which this company has tried and tried to build a successful operation. The ST has ranged, IMHO, from good (SNW) to quirky (the cartoons) to uneven but pretty good at the end (STP) to among the worst things ever filmed (STD), but this, along with the other legs (endless Yellowstone variants, other Taylor Sheridan stuff, euro soccer, access to the CBS rerun vault of shows that people somehow missed the first 10000 times they were on, access to CBS's current line up of political commentary and shows for the old and old at heart, and estrogen soaked melodrama) just isn't working.

That is why we are unlikely to see Legacy, or much else. The amount of original content is about to go way down.

And now, with a writer's strike in-progress and the sides very far apart, we'll likely be watching all manner of older content and be subjected to new reality shows for months and months to come once the new seasons have all played-out... :(

• Sad
Reactions: BarnRat
And now, with a writer's strike in-progress and the sides very far apart, we'll likely be watching all manner of older content and be subjected to new reality shows for months and months to come once the new seasons have all played-out... :(

depends on how long it is, STSNW Season 2 is already done, they were filming Season 3 right now, Discovery is done, the cartoons are written already for the next 2 seasons because animation needs a longer production time.

Most streaming stuff is filmed already, we have about 1 1/2 years worth of material, Network shows is where it will hurt, since they do not have as long of a lead time, so no Fall TV if this lasts awhile.

I'm not sure that cartoons are covered by the same union. I seem to remember something about that advantaging Fox from the last time. Anyway the cartoon lead time is very long.

Upfronts are in two weeks. I have heard less rumors than ever about shows. I doubt 40% of the broadcast schedule is actual filmed programming this year, and streaming is cutting production to the bone in an attempt to become profitable.

I'm not sure that cartoons are covered by the same union.
They are.
I seem to remember something about that advantaging Fox from the last time. Anyway the cartoon lead time is very long.
That is what Fox had an advantage with, the long lead time, the season was already written and in production.
Upfronts are in two weeks. I have heard less rumors than ever about shows. I doubt 40% of the broadcast schedule is actual filmed programming this year,
more reality shows, for example ABC has already announced Dancing with the Stars is coming back after a year at Disney+…………yay.
and streaming is cutting production to the bone in an attempt to become profitable.
The only one that is doing major cuts is HBO, Disney+ is doing little cuts but still having the shows that brings subscribers to the service, for example, this year and next, there will still be 3 Star Wars Shows each year, 3 Marvel shows, then Paramount+ will have 2 Star Treks each year and the 2 Cartoons, Yellowstone spin off next year ( which costs $30 million a episode), along with new seasons of Tulsa King, Kingstown, Seal Team, etc.

Peacock up’ed their budget ( and that service is just awful), Netflix also increased theirs.

then Paramount+ will have 2 Star Treks each year and the 2 Cartoons, Yellowstone spin off next year ( which costs $30 million a episode), along with new seasons of Tulsa King, Kingstown, Seal Team, etc.
You forgot Evil.

Reactions: MikeD-C05
You forgot Evil.
Another show I am behind on, loved the first season.

Back to being retired, should have all the time in the world to catch up, yet there is so much content, if this writer’s strike last about two years, I should be able to.