Star Wars:... Dish or Tribune Media issiue

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

saiyan

Original poster
May 14, 2008
Okay. Spike HD is showing Star Wars movies today but their names are listed as "Star Wars:..." in DVR guide.

I remember people said our guide data are provided by Tribune Media Services

I also remember that TV listing for Dish Network on www.zap2it.com is also provided by Tribune Media Services so I decided to take a look over there.
And guess what, I see full names such as "Star Wars: Episode I -- The Phantom Menace" listed on www.zap2it.com.

Anyone know what's going on?

Attachments

• directv guide.jpg
    directv guide.jpg
    57.2 KB · Views: 272
  • directv guide 1.jpg
    directv guide 1.jpg
    58 KB · Views: 250
  • directv guide abc.jpg
    directv guide abc.jpg
    50.9 KB · Views: 237
  • dish abc.jpg
    dish abc.jpg
    46.6 KB · Views: 282
  • dish guide.jpg
    dish guide.jpg
    45.5 KB · Views: 281
  • dish guide 1.jpg
    dish guide 1.jpg
    44.1 KB · Views: 285
Last edited:
Hi there.

Dish Network subscriber, SatelliteGuys.US lurker here. :)

Sadly, Dish started doing this "..." stuff many months ago and they haven't changed since. In the case of Star Wars IV, V, and VI, those movies always had the complete name. It's Star Wars I, II, and III that had the "Star Wars:..."

Not sure why they would even do this. They've had no problems showing complete names before. Or at the very least, showing enough letters to fit in a guide.

Heck, I see a "Led Zeppelin:..." on VH1CL 163 at 5:00pm later today. For sure, all the Harry Potters and Pirates of Caribbean have been hit with this lovely "abbreviation."

Direct TV does NOT get its guide info from Tribune. They get it from the same provider as Charter Cable. I can't recall the provider's name.

This is info I can share,
1. It's not something that DirecTV can fix. The Guide Data used by the DVRs is provided by the local stations and networks to Tribune News Services, which provides Guide information for many service providers, such as DirecTV. If the stations/networks provide missing or incomplete information, then your DVR errs on the side of caution and records anyway. You can remove those unwanted recordings by scanning your "To Do List" each week and removing the unwanted duplicates.

Source: DIRECTV Help Forums

CLICK HERE for more info...

Spike purposely runs the movies over to keep you tuned in (the same reason TBS used to start everything at :05 and :35). The guide is put together based on the info they get from the networks.

Well that and the olden days when movies had commercials every 30 minutes for the first hour, then 15, then 5. Well maybe not 5, but it sure seemed that way.

you use the Internet,Right!

If your not sure of what version is playing just go to the Channels website and look up schedule and it will be there.Really easy.I do it all the time.

If your not sure of what version is playing just go to the Channels website and look up schedule and it will be there.Really easy.I do it all the time.

When you record it to play later off an EHD, you would like to know by the title which one it is and not have to jump through hoops to figure it out.

For the record, any time anyone in my family start watching a movie on one of the many craptacular commercial ridden channels I stop the movie and pull out the dvd to watch instead.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)