starchoice calculation question

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

icstephen

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Aug 4, 2005
Canton, Oh
I'm sorry if this sounds stupid but I am trying to find out if this will work for me or not. I am interested in getting a starchoice system. I live north of Atlanta, Georgia and I have alot of trees....I have the true azimuth headings, however I do not know how to convert to magnetic. I am using a compass and think that I can get the sat around the trees but I need to convert from magnetic to true to be sure before I buy. If that does not make sence let me know and I will try to clarify my question.

Thanks in advance
Stephen

just look for a DirecTV elliptical dish in your area. It is pointed @110. The SC elliptical dish points at 111.1 (just to the right of DTV)

Satellite Expert said:
just look for a DirecTV elliptical dish in your area. It is pointed @110. The SC elliptical dish points at 111.1 (just to the right of DTV)

Is 111.1 the secondary satellite? what about Anik F1 @ 107.3 that one is my main concern...or am I totaly off base and confused.

Thanks
stephen

ok here is my calculations...if anyone can tell me if this sounds right

directv main is at 110 deg & Anik F1 is at 107.3 / Anik F2 is at 111.1 according to my directv receiver (I have not confirmed at the dish yet) for my location magnetic is 210 deg. Now I took the direct heading of 210 deg and subtracted 2.7 deg to to put me at 207.3 (F1) deg & 211.1 (F2). The true co-ordinates I have are 217.3 (F1) & 222.2 (F2). Does that sound correct or am I still way off base...sorry if I sound confued it has been along time since I fooled around with anything other than a directv dish and I'm kinda rusty.

Thanks
Stephen

That far south, you are going to want a 75E.. the 60E will probably work, but not overly well... I believe the line where 60Es arent recommended is right about the middle of the country.. so if you are in the southern half, get a 75E, the northern half, get a 60E

Stephen

If you are interested in programming from the main sat F1 at 107.3 only, you may want to go with a 30" round dish as one may be easier to get a hold of. Second sat at 111 has french, ethnic and HD. I was also told that the old primestar dish will work for Starchoice and I see one available for free in the classified section on this site. Good luck.

keithb said:
Stephen

I was also told that the old primestar dish will work for Starchoice and

If you find 2 old Primestar dishes: aim one at F1; other at F2. Connect them together with a Directv 4X8 or 5X8 multiswitch and you have a fully functioning SC dual satellite system on the cheap.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)