StarChoice DVR530 install question

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

arctic99

Original poster
Mar 6, 2006
:confused: I currently have the old Round Starchoice dish with 2 cables running into the house to 2 separate receivers. I would like to move one of the receivers to the basement and upgrade my main TV to the DVR530. As I understand I need to replace this round dish with the elliptical one and also replace the LNB to the new style as well. I am not familiar with all the terminology but would like to know if there is anyway to have the 2 std and 1 PVR/HD receivers functional by using ONLY the 2 existing cables running into the house. I really do not want to or have the means to run more cables through the wall. I have read mention of things like Stacked LNB's, splitters, Multiplexers and a few other things and would like to know my options before doing any purchase. Does Bell offer any solution if I cannot do this with StarChoice ? thanks

OK You are talking about having 2 standard receivers with one HD PVR...Do I have this correct?
No, there is no way to have that with just 2 cables coming into the house.

It might be possible to run a Bell 9200 and a second single-tuner receiver with only 2 cables coming into the house, but that is not possible with *C.

I assume you have the round dish with one LNBF that has two connections on it. About the size of a flashlight with two connectors on the end.
You can hookup the 530 to the current dish, but you will not get any of the programming on the second satellite. The 530 will also work with only 1 cable attached, but then you will not have the record feature.
To get the most with the dish that you have, install a 2in 4out multiswitch after the two feeds enter the house. This will give you 4 connection, for you can run one to your basement for your old receiver and two to your 530. This will give you all the features of your 530 except for the programming on the second satellite. You can even use your second old receiver with the extra output.

arctic99 said:
: I really do not want to or have the means to run more cables through the wall.

If both your present lines end in the same place, you could setup a stacked system with an external multiswitch mounted inside

Here's what the elliptical dish with stacked LNBFs look like

http://www.megasat.ca/content/fr_2_3.asp

You also need a 2 X 4 Star Choice or certain 4X8 or 5X8 Directv multiswitch
Example of DirecTV switch that would work
http://cgi.ebay.com/Direct-TV-Satel...874126416QQcategoryZ32840QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Run your 2 existing wires from the 2 stacked LNBS to the inputs on the multiswitch. You would use 2 outputs for a 530 and 1 each for your other receivers.

Does Bell offer any solution if I cannot do this with StarChoice ? thanks
No Bell would require 4 lines in from the dish

Thank you everyone. There is no way I can get the 2 present lines to end up in the same place. All the wires are running inside the walls in 2 different directions. Is is possible to use a Dish PRo Plus device to accomplish anything ? Barring this, I guess I can swap out StarChoice for a Bell 5920 setup which uses only 1 cable to the receiver I believe. I would rather utilze PVR as opposed to the HD.

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts