StarChoice in Houston

cmh2001

Original poster
May 23, 2009
Tulsa OK
I can't seem to find Anik F1R. I have a single dish, 76cm winegard. Mike Kohl gave me elevation of 53.2 and azimuth of 200 compass, LNBF rotation of 20 degrees CCW from 6:00.

I scanned the sky for three hours and I never got a signal over 21. I am also using an inline signal meter. There were places where I can peak my in-line meter signal, but it doesn't amount to anything on the TV meter.

I have installed a Bell ExpressVu system many times here in Houston and never had this kind of problem. I was always able to find the satellite without too much trouble.

Amy I missing something? Should this be easy?

your numbers are right

The thing to remember with Starchoice is because its KU it takes longer to lock onto the signal

what receiver are you using? Some (505) are PAINFULLY slow to react so aiming takes a while. I use the 205 and I dont look at the signal numbers. I look at the ebno number. Much easier and more accurate in my mind

But what receiver is it?

So to get the ebno # is one of these 2 ways (mainly because I dont know if the 317 is like the 505)

options 6-0-5 right arrow to diagnostic C
options 6-4-7 line C

there will be a number that is either + or - its probably at -1.0 or -3.0 since you are not on the satellite. when you get near the satellite the number will start to move in a + way. That is how I always aim a starchoice dish

If you have to use the 2nd option (6-4-7) aim the dish near 200 azimuth and move it a little bit at a time and wait 5-10 seconds for the receiver to react.

Is the receiver brand new or has it been in the stream before?
What channel are you using? (should be either 354 for a previously mapped receiver or 284 for a virgin)

there will be a number that is either + or - its probably at -1.0 or -3.0 since you are not on the satellite. when you get near the satellite the number will start to move in a + way. That is how I always aim a starchoice dish

Will the number peak only on the StarChoice satellite?

just a thought, i'm no expert by any means, but if your inline meter is peaking and your receiver meter stays in the red, then you MAY be pointing to an adjacent bird. I would try scanning over to the next birds east and west of what you presume to be F1R and see what happens. Also, make sure your TV and receiver are in close proximity to your dish (ie, you can see the TV screen from where you are standing)

Good luck!