Stargate Universe

Wow, talk about creative. Lost in Space and Star Trek Voyager Part 3. :rolleyes:

Don't get me wrong, any Stargate is good, but couldn't they come up with something more original for a premise than a one way gate to a ship? Would the ancients really have designed a ship that didn't permit two way gate travel?

I'm sure I'll watch, but I think they could have done better.

They did it so they could use new actors and not have to pay them as much. It is all about the Bengamins!!

Sounds like the premise might be a little lacking but it could make it up with good characters, stories, and (yes) action. Of course the one-way gate is always needed to introduce new characters and what not. Then again eventually the writers had to get around that limitation one way or another and so I imagine if this series takes off they will figure out a way to do it here as well. Otherwise, yea, its Voyager or Enterprise. Besides, since it seems that this ship is planting stargates all over the place... which go both ways one would assume... the idea that the one it carries cant do it is not going to last in the long run. Same reason they had to add the plot element about the huge stargate map in SG-1 so there is more to explore. It is fiction after all and plot can be changed at will.

The one way gate violates everything about Stargate. As, it suggests they will NEVER encounter ANY OTHER gates, which could of course, get them home... So, really, is it still "stargate"?

I hope there is a serious plot re-thinking.

Yeah, how would they be able to gate anywhere from the ship without 2-way travel?

So from reading this:

Stargate Universe is set on board a massive Ancient ship called the Destiny, millions of years older than even the city of Atlantis (story). The Ancients launched the automated ship millions of years ago to seed Stargates throughout many galaxies, with a second ship planned to follow it up and explore those planets. But they got busy with ascension, and never followed through on the plan.

Earth discovers that the Stargate's mysterious ninth chevron can be utilized to gate directly to the Ancient ship, opening up literally the whole universe to explore. But the team will soon discover that they have no way back to Earth, and must ride the ship on its programmed course.

Here is how SCI FI describes the show:

After unlocking the mystery of the Stargate's ninth chevron, a team of explorers travels to an unmanned starship called the Destiny, launched by The Ancients at the height of their civilization as a grand experiment set in motion, but never completed.

What starts as a simple reconnaissance turns into a never ending mission, as the Stargate Universe crew discovers the ship is unable to return to Earth, and they must now fend for themselves aboard the Destiny.

The crew will travel to the far reaches of the universe, connecting with each of the previously launched Stargates, thus fulfilling the Destiny's original mission. Challenges will arise though as the ship comes into range of Stargates placed centuries ahead of the Destiny and the crew is unable to control the ship's navigational schedule. If someone is left behind, there is no way to go back for them, adding to the drama of encountering new races, enemies and adventures.

It really makes no sense. They are supposed to "come into range of Stargates placed centures ahead of the Destiny" so why would they NOT be able to use those gates? Somebody is going to have do so some serious explanation for this to work.

The more I think about it, the more frustrating it is - as Don said, they canceled SG1 and SGA for this??? Really? THis story looks like it would work for a 2 hour movie where either Carter or McKay would "fix" the ship by the end of the movie, to return to either SGC or Atlantis, but a series?

Here's what I get out of the above:
the stargate on the Destiny is similar to the one on Atlantis or Earth, and can only dial other gates in the local galaxy because [there's not enough power, this gate doesn't HAVE a ninth chevron, they didn't pay their long-distance bill, insert your favorite technical reason here].

Possibly a dumb question...

If it's an automated ship, why does it even need an atmosphere maintained inside it - unless the Ancients needed to go and "adjust it" from time-to-time, which would be a one-way mission for the Ancient that went, given the premise that once on the ship, you can't go home.

I'm already disappointed and it hasn't even started yet...

Attachments

• Wall-E.JPG
    Wall-E.JPG
    4.6 KB · Views: 251
Stargate Universe crew is cast, led by Hidden Hills' Justin Louis

SCI FI Channel announced the casting of Justin Louis, David Blue, Brian J. Smith and Jamil Walker Smith in its upcoming original series Stargate Universe. The four join Robert Carlyle, who will play Dr. Nicholas Rush in the latest adventure in the Stargate franchise, which is produced by MGM television.
Production will begin in Vancouver, Canada, in February with an eye toward a fall premiere.

Source & More: Scifi Wire

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)