Starting a project.

coinmaster32

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Sep 25, 2010
USA
Been wanting to do this for a while.

I need all the information I can on Dish Network, mainly older stuff. I am starting a "Dish History" website.

If you have any of the following, I would appreciate it, pm me.

1. Any type of brochures, including sales brochures, dealer brochures, etc.

2. Price lists, etc, of systems, dishes, receivers, etc.

3. Photos of Dish Network dishes, mainly the earlier "single eye" type, and the dish 500.

4. Any videos or video stills of dish network announcing a new satellite, new equipment, etc.

Thanks

Most of this is available at EKB(Echostar Knowledge Base) and at archive.org by looking up old dishnetwork.com archived web pages.

What I find odd is the 1996-8 archives of dish.com mention being able to use a directv satellite dish for Dish.

AFAIK, Directv uses a special polarization and as such, Directv sat's can't be picked up with a FTA receiver, and a a directv lnb won't work for FTA.

Can't even swap the lnb back then either. Dish used a D shaped lnb, and directv used a rectangular one.

What I find odd is the 1996-8 archives of dish.com mention being able to use a directv satellite dish for Dish.

AFAIK, Directv uses a special polarization and as such, Directv sat's can't be picked up with a FTA receiver, and a a directv lnb won't work for FTA.

Can't even swap the lnb back then either. Dish used a D shaped lnb, and directv used a rectangular one.
A Legacy DISH LNB uses the same voltage switching technology as Directv so the LEGACY DISH or Directv LNBs are interchangeable. "D" tube or rectangular tube do require some modifications, HUGHES Directv did use some dishes I think made by Winegard that had "D" tubes..

I think some used the rectangular Directv on the D lnb arm Dish Network dishes. Also, Hughes made a D lnb arm and lnb's for Directv shaped the same as Dish Network which were legacy. Don't forget Sony's unique white plastic dish that could slide onto many pole sizes and had a blinking red LED on the lnb which would tell you when you received signal.

The reason you can't pick up DirecTV SD signals with a FTA receiver is they are not MPEG2/DVB. Dish has always been DVB compliant and can thus be received with a standard DVB-S receiver. DirecTV actually predated the final adoption of the MPEG2 standard.
As far as the LNBF and dish go, legacy Dish equipment that do not use DP or DPP technology will receive a signal with an old DirecTV LNBF. Both Dish and DTV use circularly polarized high power Ku satellites, exactly the same and made by the same manufacturer in many cases.

Posted Via The FREE SatelliteGuys Reader App!

I will never forget watching a charlie chat back in the day,they were introducing the dish 500, they showed a hybrid dish but it had a dtv and dish lnb lol.They got a lot of flak for that.

Is this it?
MVC-003S.JPG

They were planning on merging.

That would have been around 2002 I think. RCA (or Thomson) had for short while a dual standards receiver, I.E. DVB and DirecTV's proprietary format. I remember seeing one at a a Wal-Mart around the time of the proposed merger.

BTW, there was another satellite service that used Dish Network receivers but a different smart card, and for the life of me I cannot remember it.

Edit, it wasn't bell either. It was a receiver that looked like a 2700 but had something else instead of the dish logo on it. I think it was used for a short time in mexico.

BTW, there was another satellite service that used Dish Network receivers but a different smart card, and for the life of me I cannot remember it.

Edit, it wasn't bell either. It was a receiver that looked like a 2700 but had something else instead of the dish logo on it. I think it was used for a short time in mexico.
You are thinking of ExpressVu in Canada. Now called BellTV, they (Bell) still uses Echostar equipment.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts