GEOSATpro Starting at a specific time in a long recording

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

jwwbrennan

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Apr 9, 2008
Canada
I am probably missing something obvious but how is a specific start time set in a long recording?

If a recording is six hours, how can it be started at the five hour mark?

Are you talking about playback of a long recording, and starting the playback at a certain time?

If so, the only way I know of is to start playback, hit the info button, then keep skipping using the right arrow until you get to the part of the recording you want to view.

Yes, I meant to say starting playback at a specific time.

My wife and I tend to watch different parts of a recording in fits and starts at separate times. I am interested in the last hour of the recording which is of no interest to her. We are both interested in the second hour so it is not unusual for me to watch the last hour and go back to the second hour when we both have time. They all air together so making multiple serial recordings is a solution of sorts for our different interests but doesn't address the fits and starts caused in large part by interruptions.

It's not a big deal...at best it's a candidate for runner-up in a first world problem contest.

Are you talking about playback of a long recording, and starting the playback at a certain time?

If so, the only way I know of is to start playback, hit the info button, then keep skipping using the right arrow until you get to the part of the recording you want to view.

To go along with the above, after hitting the "Info" button, while the screen is up that shows where you are in the recording, you can hit one of either the Right arrow or Left arrow buttons by the LIST button. Each push of the button will advance a bit in the recording, or go backwards a bit in the recording. To place a BOOKMARK, while that screen is up, hit the RED button to place the bookmark where you want. You can place multiple bookmarks. Then, after exiting the recording, next time you start it, hit the GREEN button to immediately advance to the Bookmarked spot, each hit of the Green button will advance you to the next Bookmarked spot...

If you want to remove a bookmarked spot, hit the RED button a second time while you are sitting at that bookmarked spot.

Additional ways to move within a recording:

Press the scan forward / scan reverse keys to rapidly move at 2x, 4x, 8x, 16x or 24x speeds.

or

Press the Skip keys to move the amount of time assigned in the DVR Setting menu screen > DVR Time Skip Interval setting.

The thirty minute skip interval is just the ticket, particularly in conjunction with the scan forward/reverse.

I simply didn't notice there was a 30 minute as well as a 30 second setting.

Thanks

To go along with the above, after hitting the "Info" button, while the screen is up that shows where you are in the recording, you can hit one of either the Right arrow or Left arrow buttons by the LIST button. Each push of the button will advance a bit in the recording, or go backwards a bit in the recording. To place a BOOKMARK, while that screen is up, hit the RED button to place the bookmark where you want. You can place multiple bookmarks. Then, after exiting the recording, next time you start it, hit the GREEN button to immediately advance to the Bookmarked spot, each hit of the Green button will advance you to the next Bookmarked spot...

If you want to remove a bookmarked spot, hit the RED button a second time while you are sitting at that bookmarked spot.

That is one great piece of information. Where did you learn this? I haven't seen it before. Is there a newer version of the user manual with this info?

That is one great piece of information. Where did you learn this? I haven't seen it before. Is there a newer version of the user manual with this info?

It was posted here by another person a long time ago, and is buried in a thread somewhere. I think he mentioned it came from his owning another receiver that uses the same Ali chip as this one. There's probably more hidden native features such as this. Perhaps Brian can query the developers into listing all of them?

OK, I found the post: http://www.satelliteguys.us/threads...opment-Feature-Requests?p=2936184#post2936184

All thanks go to "Copykat" for originally posting it.

Last edited:
On my Visionsat, I was able to type in the numbers to what percent of the recording I wanted to go to. So for example a 4 hour recording, if I wanted to get to the 3rd hour I could punch in 75 on the remote (ie 75%) to get to the 3rd hour. I did like that feature. My Visionsat was very unpredictable for recording however, I have been much happier with the microHD!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)