Starz, ESPN, Disney, Toon as off-the-air?

Dan Berndt

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Dec 2, 2003
I just installed a new 942 and did an off-the-air digital channel scan and about 13 channels I've only seen as satellite or cable channels scanned in. These channels included the channels I've listed above in the Dallas area. Does anyone know anything about subscription channels entering the market as local digitals?

I think this is great news for HD fans. This over the air product gives us an alternative to high price cable and satellite SD services. This product makes it easier to tell your service provider that if they want to sell you there service at a premium it had better be in HD.

Of course with only 12 new channels there is not much to offer but some of these channels are the ones my wife wants the most. But with the 28 existing digital over-the-air channels, that gives a total of 40 channels of better quality than the analog basic and expanded basic channels cable offers. Everyone wondered if over-the-air broadcasting would make a come back when digital broadcasting was announced, I would have to say that with the satellite company's supporting over-the-air and now with this new product the come back is here.

KET (Kentucy Educational Television) runs 4 subchannels, sometimes up to 6. They run all at 480i except for subchannel 4 where they put there HD programming at 720p. I didn't think you could push 12 subchannels down the available bandwidth alloted.

gdarwin said:
12 subchannels off 99 in Dallas.... Man - talk about HD-LITE!!!!:what

Um, no. Multiple subchannels from several stations are remapped to 99 with the magic of PSIP.

Channel 99.1 comes in the others occasioinally have audio only. $19.95 per month plus $6.95 for one channel of Starz. You also get the local channels digital broadcasts. Of course for $12 more you could get 60 channels from DISH with locals, is it really a bargin service?

BFG said:
agh USDTV, that sucks. Say goodbye to quality HD in Dallas.

All the major off-the-air networks are already available in HD in the Dallas area. USDTV is just starting out but they are promoting HDTV on their web site. This is a start up organization so it's a little early to start bad mouthing them.

I would like to hear the opinion on this service from someone that actually subscribes to them. If I can get a second 942 at a decent price I might dump the non-HD channels I get from Dish and try USDTV, especially since Dish is raising its price and since it lost LMN (one of my wifes' favorites).

"Startup" hardly. Has been in the west for some years. Perhaps the only reason they promote HDTV is to get you to have their Digital Receiver to get the actual local HDs. They are not going to help your local stations provide HD. Bandwidth that USDTV uses sucks up the available bandwidth to provide quality local HD. Beware. HD Lite may be coming to a local channel near you.

JohnH said:
"Startup" hardly. Has been in the west for some years. Perhaps the only reason they promote HDTV is to get you to have their Digital Receiver to get the actual local HDs. They are not going to help your local stations provide HD. Bandwidth that USDTV uses sucks up the available bandwidth to provide quality local HD. Beware. HD Lite may be coming to a local channel near you.

Their web site says that the company was formed in 2003 but I had never heard of USDTV before their channels showed up on my 942 program guide. At $20 a month for added channels I think many people are going to find this an attractive alternative to $27/month satellite and $50/month cable packages. With the added benefit of the STBs being able to receive digital channels, including HD, many people with older TVs will see this as an advantage over paying for $200 digital OTA receivers.

One interesting note though is that I can only scan the USDTV 99-# channel on my 942. When I tried to scan in the channels into my 811 they didn't show up. Anyone have any idea why the 942 would scan the USDTV channels and not the 811?

Here is a thought, maybe the newer Dish digital receivers can pick up the USDTV channels because Dish is planning to market them. Maybe an activation code will allow the Dish receivers to bring in the USDTV signals. You know VOOM was talking about getting into the local transmission market before they got out of the service provider business, maybe Dish bought into this OTA technology along with all the other VOOM products they bought. (Aw, this is fun!!)

USDTV HDTV
Receiver Only

The USDTV HDTV Receiver can be
purchased without the USDTV service.

$299 Plus taxes, shipping and handling (*)

Specifications:

>>Delivers free, over-the-air digital television signals to either an HDTV-ready TV or standard analog television set
>>You'll enjoy DVD-quality television for most of your favorite programs and big TV events in the new digital HDTV xxformat
>>Delivers theater-quality widescreen pictures and Dolby Digital 5.1 surround sound on any HDTV-ready TV monitor
>>Receiver is USDTV-ready, so when USDTV becomes available in your area, you can also get additional cable xxchannels for about half the cost of cable or satellite
>>Visit USDTV.com for details (USDTV Service is not required to receive local Digital TV broadcasts)
>>Fully ATSC compliant
>>Receives 8VSB digital signals
>>Receives AC3 digital surround sound
>>Requires a VHF/UHF antenna
>>Connectors: Component, Composit, S-Video

(May be a refurbished unit) Warranty: 90 day, replacement or credit

For $300 my receiver had better be new only..lol

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts