Starz-HD: February, March & April High Definition Movies

rang1995 said:

I saw this pdf last night and noticed that Starz-HD makes a distinction between "True HD" and "WS"; There are movies which are identified as "True HD" and they are non-OAR HD. There are others like "Bringing Down the House" which they identified as "WS" without the "True HD" indication. I saw "Bringing Down the House" and thought that it was HD OAR unless they are using downresolution WS. Did anybody see this? Can anyone comment on the movies seen with the designation "WS". In the list above I have indicated these movies with "**" as user have reported seeing them in HD.

Blue Crush on Starz-HD, Opinions Wanted.

I am watching it right now and even though it is wide screen it does no look like HD. It looks like a down resolution version. Damn if Starz if it is given us down resolution movies instead of true HD movies.

It did but to me it did not have the details that an HD movie will have. I will expect this quality of movie in an old movie. In a recent movie (like this one), if you look at background, it should have a lot more details without any blue grainy background. I think a lot of these movies that are designated "WS" and not "TRUE HD" are just a WideScreen down resolution. Why is Starz doing this? I do not know. But I will shoot another e-mail to them and call them and ask them why the "WS" designation in their guide and not "TRUE HD".

dfergie said:
way back when (less than a year) did not the starz ceo say that there was no need for hd? that maybe enhanced definition would be good enough?... maybe some of this mindless thought remains today.

I really hope this is not the tactic they are using.

Sean Mota said:
I saw this pdf last night and noticed that Starz-HD makes a distinction between "True HD" and "WS"; There are movies which are identified as "True HD" and they are non-OAR HD. There are others like "Bringing Down the House" which they identified as "WS" without the "True HD" indication. I saw "Bringing Down the House" and thought that it was HD OAR unless they are using downresolution WS. Did anybody see this? Can anyone comment on the movies seen with the designation "WS". In the list above I have indicated these movies with "**" as user have reported seeing them in HD.
I hate to sound stupid but what does oar stand for? Is that what we should look for? I notice on showtime sight some say oar and some say upconverted.

pmalve said:
I hate to sound stupid but what does oar stand for? Is that what we should look for? I notice on showtime sight some say oar and some say upconverted.

OAR = Original Aspect Ratio

See this for a discussion of OAR

You never want upconvert stuff. It is not HD and most of the time it is distorted and it's no better than SD 4x3!

if so StarzHD is becoming a bore..is it HD or not,why sell the service if it's not?others a few here and there but Starz seems to have 1 movie a day in HD

In my opinion, it does not have the sharpness that a new movie like this would have when transfer to HD. I expect old movies to be like this but not a brand new movie. If you look at the faces of people, you see that they are not as sharp. I am comparing to Forrest Gump on ABC and you can see the difference. Maybe I am wrong but I am very suspect that it is not HD. Look at the red colors very grainy. To tell you the truth it looks like when Fox does Wide Screen on their movies. It maybe a down relosolution wide screen. If this is the case, Starz is cheating us out of the real HD movies or it is a bad transfer. Any other opinions out there?

Programming Alert: Black Hawk Down on Starz HD

Not a big fans of programming alerts in general, but the film is compelling and transfer (though stylistic) looks very good. Just started at 0100 Sunday.

Tim

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)