Starz HD will leave 4DTV

Status
Please reply by conversation.
Well the good news is that the DC2 encryption can be applied to the DVBS2 standard . Its about time Morotola dump the previously broken, none complaint standard.

The writting is on the wall, 4DTV is dieing off and all I want to do is watch TV. Only in america can this be so complicated.

What else is new you know the HD feeds were going to go. Its all planed out by the evil pizza and cable boys to force the masses into there junk and give people crap for tall dollars. The revolt needs to start and everyone tell pizza and cable to take a hike. With the way the economy is going and now gasoline on the rise again people won't be able to afford pay tv anymore and there plan will backfire. The same with all these criminal companies and politicians, there continuous excessive greed tactics will bankrupt the U.S. and they will end up with nothing as the regular Joe works all day to buy a loaf of bread for his family. Were on a downward spiral and there will come a time the country will hit the bottom.:rant:We won't be worried about tv when that happens :(

Sorry about the rant. (EDIT) You get tired of all the BS with us loosing channels, prices going through the roof everywhere and nothing being done about it. But were always expected to pay even though our wages get less and less. If the regular guy don't speak up they will keep on doing it.

Last edited:
A DCII transport stream can be encapsulated in DVB-S2. The newer commercial receivers support this. DCII isn't really bad, it's just non-standard.

Come to think of it, the Motorola DSR-4530 and DSR-4550 do not support DVB-S2 of any kind. Only IRD that does that is not a transcoder is the DSR-4410MD.

HDD 200 for sale???

With Starz HD and HBO HD disappearing, does this make the HDD 200 boxes paperweights??? !sadroll

Although I sub to Starz and the Encore channels, I never bothered to purchase a HDD200/1 box. The money they wanted vs. only a few HD channels never added up. To make matters worse some of the boxes had software that didn't work on Starz anyway. A gamble I was unwilling to make.

I'll continue to enjoy my free only HD I receive OTA or whatever my Diamond can find.

The time is ticking down. SRL has now posted that this will happen on or around January 15th, as was expected. NPS continues, blissfully unaware it would seem.

When I renewed my mtv mini pack last week I asked NPS if they knew about Starz HD, and they said yes. NPS don't update there website often. Call them and ask them.

When I renewed my mtv mini pack last week I asked NPS if they knew about Starz HD, and they said yes. NPS don't update there website often. Call them and ask them.

I'm just waiting for it to go dark, and then I'll give NPS a call to cancel my STARZ subscription and refund the remainder per their published T&Cs. I had to write a formal letter to get the latter for HBO, but now I only have to cut and paste a bit. I'd move the money over to something else if they had some channels a la carte that we wanted, but I can't find anything that fits.

oh no, I was getting into 4DTV sub for the Starz package. I hate where this is all going. What good is my 922 I just got and didn't even get a chance to change the battery now.

oh no, I was getting into 4DTV sub for the Starz package. I hate where this is all going. What good is my 922 I just got and didn't even get a chance to change the battery now.

Starz SD is going nowhere. This is only for there HD channels on G9. The G1, G5 and W5 channels will be around for quite a while. Enjoy your 4DTV.

Thanks for clearing that up. HD would have certainly been preferable, but at least SD is there and from what I understand, the PQ of SD is better than HD lite from the pizza dish companies...correct?

Thanks for clearing that up. HD would have certainly been preferable, but at least SD is there and from what I understand, the PQ of SD is better than HD lite from the pizza dish companies...correct?

It's a matter of picking your poison, and it can depend on you viewing preferences. Having lived with high-end SD for decades, I have little interest in it anymore. Most of the movies made since the early 1950s were intended to be viewed in widescreen mode, and while 16:9 isn't always used properly, it's preferable in almost any situation for me over 4:3. I have little interest in action movies. That puts a lower burden on compression artifacts. HD-lite quickly goes upside down with action scenes. I've also learned when to record movies on DN. The rates can vary by nearly 2X for the same movie. Caught at different times, HD-lite can vary from decent to horrible. I won't watch the latter, but I also will not watch SD when HD is available.

Since I've had Starz HD I've only watched on movie in HD and it was about talking Chihuahuas. I guess I don't see a whole lot of whizbang in HD. Over saturated colors is about it. If I want to see quality I go to DVD/Blu-Ray.
I find the SD to be fine for my regular tv watching needs. I do wish they would show things in their correct aspect ratio though.

My hopes of finding a DSR-920 or DSR-922 receiver for under $25 might just happen in the next few months.

You may find one for that price but honestly 4dtv is not going away as fast as some may think. Actually when I spoke with NPS they told me they are signing up new people all the time that are buying 4dtv's on ebay and the like. So the receivers are being recycled which is good since it's keeping C band subscription alive. Pricing for receivers will probably stay high until the plug is pulled or a new receiver is ever released, then they will be worth a dime a dozen.

I got my DSR-922 a month ago and its great, only wish i got one sooner, it is nice to be able to pay for what you only want. I hope that another Bud Dish reciever comes out in the next couple years because you never have to worry about rain fade etc with a BUD and i hate the rip off pizzia providers they offer nothing for big bucks.

Status
Please reply by conversation.